Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wakeboard rope length?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wakeboard rope length?
    Posted: September-23-2008 at 7:50pm
What rope length do most use for wakeboarding?

Are there specific characteristics of the wake you try to get in front of, right at, or behind?

Just wondering.

Thanks all.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2008 at 8:00pm
you could start with a 60 or 65ft rope, try not to get caught in the boat's rooster tail. As you progress you'll want to extend it up as back as your wake is clean

As for the wake, you want it clean (no spray) and equal on both sides of the boat

what boat are you boarding in?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2008 at 11:06pm
Shorten the rope to where you can make Wake to Wakes consistently, landing right on the downhill side of the wake. This will make for soft and smooth landings, as you progress and jump further, let more rope out, eventually you will be running 28mph @ 85ft out!!
randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2008 at 11:36am
It is behind my 1973 Mustang. It throws a big gnarly wake at low speeds. I think there is enough there to make it interesting.

I hope to get a try in this weekend (water temp is changing fast).

I have been watching my "learn to ride" DVD instruction.
1973 CC Mustang
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2008 at 2:13pm
With that boat, I would start 55 feet rope lenghth plus the 5 feet for the handle and bridal. With no fat sacs in the boat, probaby abou 18 or 19 mph. If that is too short, let out in 5 foot increments till you have the sweet spot. BKH
Livin' the Dream

h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2008 at 5:43pm
How would you set up a 16'Mustang for the best wake?
70 Mustang project
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2008 at 6:00pm
For the 16 footer..

About the same length rope 60-65 feet and speed no better than 20-22, 4-5 people or equal in a water ballast sack. That was enough for someone who knows what they were doing to land the simplier flips. More than enough for me to hurt myself. If you dont have the weight than a little less speed and slightly shorter rope will work better.

FWIW 72.5 and 23.2 with 880 lbs plus spotter and driver in a 2001 hull is a pretty nice ride for an intermediate rider.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2008 at 6:24pm
I'm not a wakeboarder and my son is a beginner/intermediate but I figured I'd throw in my 2-cents because it makes the most sense. From all the input above, you have to conclude its boat/load/rider specific. We reached the ideal length and speed (with out 16 footer) by iteration. He's back there at some length. Adjust the speed to the optimal wake, biggest, sharpest. Check the speed. If he's behind the ultimate spot, stop and haul him in a bit, if he's ahead of the ultimate spot, let him out a bit. Conclusion in our situation, 24 mph, 22 off (53 foot rope) That's how I'd go about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic