NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My First Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
mr_beat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My First Boat
    Posted: September-26-2008 at 6:46pm
Hello all, My friend and I have been looking for a CC for several months now and with our budget it has been very tough. We found our first boat though. It is a 1985 SN 2001. The interior is destroyed because it was winterized by the previous owner but not covered in an attempt to prevent moisture from getting too bad under the cover. The motor has 1007 hours on it and runs great. We got it for only $3000 so we will have to do the interior on it but we were hoping to get it to the river once before we winterize here in PA.

We need to change engine oil and tranny oil.
I looked up the filter and am going to replace with ~5 qts straight 30 weight.
I have been reading but very confused as to where and how to drain. Again, we would like to do this over the weekend so can you give advice as to how to change with regular garage tools or easily available funnels, tubess, etc?

Do we replace velvet drive oil with dextron III only? Do you know how much?

We do not have a manual because owner had house fire.
To winterize. Can we warm up engine with fake a lake and start feeding in antifreeze into strainer until it is fully coming out exhaust? I have read people have done this for years and also that it is not a good idea because of thermostat if engine is not all the way warm.

Ryan
Tellarico View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tellarico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 7:00pm
Ryan, To drain the oil there should be a hose from the bottom of the motor which should be hanging from the upper part of the motor by a hook. Lower this hose through the drain hole than remove bolt to drain oil under the boat. You should be able to download a manual from this site under the reference link on this site.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by mr_beat mr_beat wrote:

We need to change engine oil and tranny oil.
I looked up the filter and am going to replace with ~5 qts straight 30 weight.
I have been reading but very confused as to where and how to drain.

To winterize. Can we warm up engine with fake a lake and start feeding in antifreeze into strainer until it is fully coming out exhaust?
Ryan

To avoid a mess, you should use an Oil drain kit for the Oil. You will need lots of rags if you just drain it into the bilge and then out the drain hole...
Drain Kit

You may be able to get one at a local Marine or Auto store.

For the Transmission, I used the wifes Turkey Baster to remove the old oil.. she will never know

Not sure how you plan on getting the antifreeze into the strainer and allow the impeller to draw it but IMO I still think that you should remove the drains from Block and Manifolds to be safe.

I am sure that others will chime in here.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 7:09pm

it was winterized by the previous owner but not covered in an attempt to prevent moisture from getting too bad under the cover.

This is not good, I'm thinking wet foam and stringers.

I have been reading but very confused as to where and how to drain.

You may or may not have an orange tube to drain your oil. Hopefully it's there, start looking at the oil pan where the drain plug would be. Don't bother using the drain hose unless the oil is hot.

Yes, replace however much you took out.

Can we warm up engine with fake a lake and start feeding in antifreeze into strainer until it is fully coming out exhaust?

Stick the hose off the strainer into a bucket full of antifreeze if you want to suck it up. I recommend draining all the water first then just pouring it in the t-stat housing. You run the risk of diluting and/or pumping your A/F right out the exhaust. Make sure you are using propylene glycol which is safe(r) for the environment. Look for "Sierra" brand or stuff that is for RVs. You typically do not have to dilute/mix this type of A/F.

jb_dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb_dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 8:31pm
For winterizing, I wrapped duct tape around some large diameter PVC pipe until the PVC fit snug in the tailpipes. The PVC pipes have a 90 degree fitting on them which feed into a 5 gallon bucket. I run some long hose (cheap from Home Depot) from the strainer to the 5 gallon bucket. I start with the bucket almost full (4 gal mixed) and run a loop. I can run it as long as I want. I have done this for 3 seasons and it works great.

JB
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by jb_dallas jb_dallas wrote:

For winterizing, I wrapped duct tape around some large diameter PVC pipe until the PVC fit snug in the tailpipes. The PVC pipes have a 90 degree fitting on them which feed into a 5 gallon bucket. I run some long hose (cheap from Home Depot) from the strainer to the 5 gallon bucket. I start with the bucket almost full (4 gal mixed) and run a loop. I can run it as long as I want. I have done this for 3 seasons and it works great.

JB

JB - That sounds pretty cool. I've never heard of anyone doing that. How about a picture? If you don't have any, then maybe you will in a month or so.

JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 10:02pm
Ryan,

Congrats on the "new" boat. I hope everything turns out to be sound. Post some pictures when you get a chance.

-JMuprh
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2008 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

it was winterized by the previous owner but not covered in an attempt to prevent moisture from getting too bad under the cover.

This is not good, I'm thinking wet foam and stringers.

Can we warm up engine with fake a lake and start feeding in antifreeze into strainer until it is fully coming out exhaust?

Stick the hose off the strainer into a bucket full of antifreeze if you want to suck it up. I recommend draining all the water first then just pouring it in the t-stat housing. You run the risk of diluting and/or pumping your A/F right out the exhaust. Make sure you are using propylene glycol which is safe(r) for the environment. Look for "Sierra" brand or stuff that is for RVs. You typically do not have to dilute/mix this type of A/F.

I agree with Kev's concern on wet foam and stringers even if it was covered. Pulling the boat across a scale to check the weight against the specs may be a good idea.

I also agree with draining and pouring in antifreeze through one of the upper hoses to the T stat. I really don't know where and when this "suck the antifreeze from a bucket" procedure started but it's more complicated, wastes antifreeze and dilutes with water still in the block. Just drain and fill. 90 degree elbows on the pipes into buckets to recirculate?? Come on guys, this isn't a AAmco "power purge" trans procedure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2008 at 10:50am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Just drain and fill.

I do agree with this Pete. That's the way we do it. I would still like to see the recirculating antifreeze loop.

jsmith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2008 at 12:11pm
mr_beat, Where in PA are you located? Which river are you riding on?
mr_beat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2008 at 2:07pm
Thanks guys. I will get some pics asap. I'm affraid of whats under the floor also. I should get a better idea when we start pulling up the carpet and go from there, I know it's going to be hard to tell anything even then. I am north of Pittsburgh we like to go to the Allegheny. We picked it up in Kentucky.
mr_beat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 2:57am
An Update:

We got to take the boat out this Sunday but we ran into a small snag after running out of gas when doing the oil change. We got it to the river and it took a bit to get it started then. After that, we got it running and on the way out the channel to the river hit something shallow and came to a very abrupt stop. Fortunately no damage to the boat just a small scrape on the fist tracking fin underneath. We smoothed it out. But we immediately pulled it out after that and put it back in, and our battery was basically shot. The previous owner has a small car battery in there because he said the marine battery he bought would not fit. It is an 85. What are you recommendations on battery?

PS We were lucky and had the hose attached for easy oil change.
mr_beat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 3:02am
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 10:27am

An Update:

We got to take the boat out this Sunday but we ran into a small snag after running out of gas when doing the oil change. We got it to the river and it took a bit to get it started then. After that, we got it running and on the way out the channel to the river hit something shallow and came to a very abrupt stop. Fortunately no damage to the boat just a small scrape on the fist tracking fin underneath. We smoothed it out. But we immediately pulled it out after that and put it back in, and our battery was basically shot. The previous owner has a small car battery in there because he said the marine battery he bought would not fit. It is an 85. What are you recommendations on battery?

PS We were lucky and had the hose attached for easy oil change.

It could very well be your battery but I would check your alternator belt tension, alt. output and charge and load test the battery before I bought another one. The reason is that if it started the boat after sitting out of the water it certainly should start it after the boat has been running- that is if your charging system, starter and tuning are within spec. Your symptoms make me suspect a no charge situation or maybe a loose distributor.
70 Mustang project
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 11:56am
mr_,
Put the battery on a charger then get it load tested at the auto store first. If ok, checking out the charging system is next. This may help if you are into doing it yourself and need some of the basics. marine engine electrical checks - thanks Jim!! (Jim just posted the Fluke link)

If you need a new battery, stay away from a "deep cycle marine" Use a starting battery. Bigger isn't always better so 650 to 700 CCA will do it. The bigger the CCA is, the less internal support it will have in the same case. Support is needed for the rough bouncing around a boat gives it. Some use automotives without a issue - I do! It's felt that a "marine" will be nothing more than a automotive with the addition of the stud/wing nut terminals. Others here will have the correct case size that will fit in your boat. Group 24??

I noticed that your pylon extension front support cable is attached to the lifting ring. The strap on the front of the cable is meant to go around the bow of the boat. Some will go to the lifting ring but it is always a concern of mine. Lifting rings are made for vertical lift. I'd hate for stress cracking to show up in your deck due to the aft pull of the extened pylon.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jb_dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb_dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 11:57am
I dont have any pictures of the actual procedure, although it is easy to visualize. I remove the c clamp on the strainer, connect the long hose, fill a bucket with antifreeze, stick the PVC in the tailpipes and start the engine. Start to finish, it takes me 5 to 10 minutes. What is complicated about that? I pour unused antifreeze back in the container, nothing is wasted. It seems to me that there is more waste with other winterizing methods.
mr_beat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 12:01pm
I would agree typically. It's a long story but it involved a lot of starting/stopping and no driving. We never made it out more than 200 yards before we hit bottom. Then pulled out. It's barely turning over now.
mr_beat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 12:41pm
Thanks for the tip on the skylon pole I will try to find a new front assembly for it. There was a nice one for cheap floating around on craigslist here.
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 6:19pm

Thanks for the tip on the skylon pole I will try to find a new front assembly for it. There was a nice one for cheap floating around on craigslist here.

You don't need a whole front assembly. All you need is the bow strap. You may have to readjust your support cables though.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 11:51am

I dont have any pictures of the actual procedure, although it is easy to visualize. I remove the c clamp on the strainer, connect the long hose, fill a bucket with antifreeze, stick the PVC in the tailpipes and start the engine. Start to finish, it takes me 5 to 10 minutes. What is complicated about that? I pour unused antifreeze back in the container, nothing is wasted. It seems to me that there is more waste with other winterizing methods.

nothing's wrong with the method other than the concentration that the anti-freeze needs to be at to not freeze is thrown out the window when you add a gallon plus of fresh water into your 50/50 mix and the time frame doesn't allow for effectively mixing in the block since you are basicly bypassing it most of the time through the exhaust leaving the block even more diluted. Just don't cry when a long extreme uncommonly cold winter hits from no were and cracks the block you can only be lucky for so long before it bites you in the ass.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 3:14pm
Mr Beat

Where north of pgh are you. I have the same boat and I'm just outside of Cranberry. I can give you a hand if you would like. I also have a manual that you could copy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

nothing's wrong with the method other than the concentration that the anti-freeze needs to be at to not freeze is thrown out the window when you add a gallon plus of fresh water into your 50/50 mix and the time frame doesn't allow for effectively mixing in the block since you are basicly bypassing it most of the time through the exhaust leaving the block even more diluted. Just don't cry when a long extreme uncommonly cold winter hits from no were and cracks the block you can only be lucky for so long before it bites you in the ass.

Jb, Hopefully your screen name is a indicator of the area that you live so you really don't see the deep cold temps of the north. I just want to warn you (in different terms than Chris has/normally uses!!!) that your method is flawed. Chris's concern as well as mine is without draining the existing water, there is no way to maintain a even mix ratio throughout the block due to the dilution. If you are using RV, it's meant to be used straight and can't be diluted. Are you trying to get antifreeze in the exhaust pipes for some reason? If so, that's waste!

Chris is spot on regarding sucking the antifreeze in by running the engine. There's no guarantee that the T stat will be open and the circulation pump will push the antifreeze around enough to mix it and get it into all of the water jacket cavities.

Drain the block and pour a known mix in via the front hose to the T stat housing. The solution will back flow through the circ pump into the engine.

When I mentioned getting complicated, I was referring to the hose and tubing you bought and made up to attach to your exhaust. For what - collect antifreeze that you shouldn't be blowing out the back end anyway!

FYI,
If you use regular antifreeze, it can be tested for freeze protection with a hydrometer but beware it is temperature sensitive - use a temp compensating meter.
If you use RV, testing must be done with a refractometer. Specific gravity (hydrometer) won't work!

Also, there are many who drain only! Done for years! I drained only 20 years ago, then just to be safe, started using the antifreeze as a safety.

How much antifreeze do you use? I'll bet it's more than the 3/4 gal. I use! Waste??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 8:56pm
8122, could you describe for me where to find the front hose to the t stat ? what that would look like etc,on an 88 cc 2001. thanks
lonestar
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 9:24pm
Good lay up instructions are in this Manual page 37. It shows where the plugs are and what hose to pop off & fill.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 9:24pm

I got the correct strap for the extended pylon from BFI - it was around $50.

Cheap compared to re-gelcoating the deck.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by lonestar lonestar wrote:

8122, could you describe for me where to find the front hose to the t stat ? what that would look like etc,on an 88 cc 2001. thanks

This is a winterizing thread by Tim (TRBenj) He has got great pictures. Better than the manual and better than me going through the whole process!!
winterizing

There's also some guidance on the hose used as a fill point.
Tim stated:
"The most foolproof way to add the antifreeze is to do it per the PCM engine manual. That involves pouring it in the upper hose that attaches to the RWP (end of hose raised above engine level). You know youve put enough in when you hear it start to drain out of the riser into the exhaust, it takes about 3 gallons if I remember correctly. If you were to draw the A/F up without draining the block, I would be nervous that it wouldn't be circulated through the block enough (too diluted) depending on whether the thermostat is open or closed."

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jb_dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb_dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 11:54am
I am running the engine long enough to get to normal operating temperature, so there is no doubt that the t-stat is open. The antifreeze is reaching any part of the engine it would during normal operation. I think people in general have a hard time accepting any new practice when they have done it the same way sucessfully for years, and that is understandable. There is no flaw in my system, however, I can understand the point about my location. I dont see negative temps here in Texas. Maybe if I lived up north, I would winterize by the book.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 12:45pm

I am running the engine long enough to get to normal operating temperature, so there is no doubt that the t-stat is open. The antifreeze is reaching any part of the engine it would during normal operation. I think people in general have a hard time accepting any new practice when they have done it the same way sucessfully for years, and that is understandable. There is no flaw in my system, however, I can understand the point about my location. I dont see negative temps here in Texas. Maybe if I lived up north, I would winterize by the book.

new method verse stupid method must have been an I/O owner before to come up with that idea. Also IF YOU WERE FURTHER NORTH YOU WOULD HAVE REPLACED THE BLOCK ALL READY AS IT WOULD HAVE CRACKED OVER THE WINTER WITH THIS WEAK METHOD OF WINTERIZING.

sad thing about it since you are in Texas all you need to do is drain the block and call it a day.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 12:53pm
Jb, I'm curious! Do you check the freeze protection level with your method? Hopefully you are using regular antifreeze and not the RV type.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jb_dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb_dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 12:55pm
We have temps in the teens, so I am playing it safe by administering antifreeze. The fact is that it works for my location..has for 3 years..and will for another 20.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic