NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should a 2001 model lean to the Right?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should a 2001 model lean to the Right?
    Posted: September-27-2008 at 11:53pm
Hi,

I just bought a very nice condition 89 2001 model today from a fairly local dealer.

Everything with the boat seemed great; we took it out for a little test run and everything.

One thing I did notice is that the boat leaned a little to the right. The mechanic driving it and myself were in the ballpark of equal weight and we were sitting opposite each other. Then I drove it, and same thing, to the right.

His explanation matched the salesman's explanation so I didn't worry too much about this. They both said these boats are weighted on the right to counteract the propeller rotation.

Does this sound right? Just a little worried about it. Thanks for any input.

Brian
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 12:13am
I have an '89 2001 & it does not lean to the right, either static or underway. I would guess for some reason yours has soaked foam on one side only.

If so, you might want to dig up the foam out that side before it rots out the stringer.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 12:19am
Eesh, ok. Not the news I was hoping to hear. But, thanks very much for your input.

Very nice boat by the way
pwningjr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwningjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 12:19am
Not to mention check the stringers just to be safe while you're in there.
Jay
"Proud to be a geek"
Big Heavy (stephan): One can't always be perfect when water dancing on your shred stick.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 12:44am
Brian - Post a pic of your new ride. I hope you like it as much as we like ours.

PS - foam removal not as hard to do as it sounds. Search the site - there's tons of info on how to.

I've never done it but expect to have to at some point.

The guys here will give you great advice.

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 1:11am

So,
There's no way it's anything but this wet foam issue? The floor was definitely really solid. I walked all around it barefoot and everything.

It wasn't like major listing, just slightly off balance. I actually didn't see it from outside the boat.

Almost wondering if I should be trying to get out of this sale somehow. I just put down a down payment...
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 2:25am
Don't jump to any conclusions I'd say. Guess you have checked the rudder. Tracking fins maybe? Steering cable? I don't know, but I guess it could have tons of reasons.
Hope it's nothing major!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 2:35am
These are narrow, weight sensitive boats. It's not at all unusual to see them list just slightly to one direction or the other. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker by any means.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 2:37am
That boat is in nice shape. As trip said, don't jump to conclusions. Does it have an extra battery? Gear stuffed on the right side under the bow. Was the driver a lot bigger than the passenger.

One way to know if you have wet foam is to weigh the boat and trailer. If it is wet enough to make the boat lean, you should see a fair delta in weight over the posted dry weight. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 2:37am
doesn't quinner lean to the right too?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 3:12am
Thanks for the feedback and re-assurance. I think the list was pretty mild. Could have been a weight variaton/steering thing.

I think I'll just hope for the best and deal with it if/when it really is an issue. I'm sure compulsive worrying and boat ownership won't go well together anyway.
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 9:38am
Hi Brian,
Nice boat! Welcome to the 2001 clan. I got your diaries message on my Blackberry as well.

As the others have said, these boats are sensitive to weight distribution. If you're in it alone, it's definitely going to list to the right.

That's the second time I've heard the weighted to off-set the prop story, but I have no idea if it's urban myth or reality.

You're going to love the boat. Where do you keep it?

Bill
1989 SN 2001
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 10:21am
Very nice 2001 Brian. It looks as though it has been well looked after.

It even has the extremely rare 1 piece glove box lid.   

I like where the previous owner has added a cup holder on the drivers side also. Looks almost factory original.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 10:40am
Thanks for your response Bill. Your boat looks really nice as well.

Well, I'm glad to hear at least one other person has heard the weighted story. That gives it a better chance of being true.

This one will see most of it's time on a small lake in NH, which is actually perfect for this boat. I purposely avoided anythng too big.

Leaving with the dealer in storage till spring. It's going to be a long winter!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 10:59am
That's a sharp ride!

FWIW-I rebuilt my stringers and floor recently, and it used to ride a little low on the drivers side. Now it lifts the drivers side when accelerating.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 11:22am
nice boat and i like the color scheme. Welcome to the family!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 11:30am
Really nice boat, well worth any work you have to put into it. I'd be leary of the weighted story.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 11:32am
Brian, welcome to the site. Congrats on the New boat! I was just looking at the pics of that on the NECC website. Very nice.
Enjoy!
-Brad
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 12:23pm
Brian - The boat I bought had a bent shaft/strut that I had to repair. (would have been nice if I had know how to check this so I could have gottten a better deal). I have no regrets buying it anyway because once that was repaired I got a great boat.

You are not going to find a 20 Yr old boat in perfect condition anywhere.

So don't let the leaning issue unnerve you - it can be fixed if it is a problem at all.

You might want to take another person with you & go for another test ride to verify the condition; esp. if there is any possibility you can get the seller to come down $ if it does need work.

Where are you located? - maybe there is a site member nearby who can look at it with you.

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 12:34pm
Hi SNobsessed,

Well, I'm in Boston, the boat is still at the dealer in NH.

It may be too late to come down on money since I put in a good deposit. And, I think the price I got was probably fair as long as the work needed isn't too major or something. The floor seemed very solid though, so I'm hoping it wouldn't be big. Everything under the hull looked to be in good order, no big scrapes or anything. The prop looked perfect. I don't know that I would have noticed a bent strut or something though.

Would it be normal to take someone over for a second look after the sale? I'd appreciate that if someone had time next Saturday.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 12:39pm
Not unusual that it lists a little....BKH asked good questions about wieght. It does not take much. other things to check...look up in the bow...anchor or gear, extra batt(as mentioned,stereo and amp...or even the gas tank a little off center.
As far as foam issues go...boats that sit out uncovered exposed to rain are subject to soaked foam...yours looks well cared for. Or if the original floor is replaced...a lot of folks don't know to seal all screw holes which allows water to enter threw the sealed glassed in covering.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 12:44pm
That boat is gorgeous, but from what I've seen, if an older Correct Craft lists, it's got water in the hull. If it does, it's very expensive to pay someone to fix it. Maybe enough 2001 owners will chime in and give you their perspective. So the salesman and mechanic from New England Correct Craft stated they were designed to list?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 12:50pm
Brian - Conratulations on your purchase - it's a great looking boat & will serve you well.

Bring it home! This is is probably not a problem at all but if it is you can fix it yourself. Might be a great winter project.

I had also bought mine in the fall, put it in storage right away & then ached to 'play' with it all winter.

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 12:54pm
Yeah, they both separately said that the boat was weight biased a little on the right. The prop would tend to lift the right side, so it seemed to be a plausible explanation.

I mostly noticed it when I was in the passenger seat, looking over the stern. I guess if something as minor as a battery could make it list, then the driver could have been that much heavier.

I, unfortunately, didn't get to see it floating empty from outside the boat. There was no dock where we put it in and it wasn't a good day for swimming.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 1:02pm
Site guys - Random thought here - If you hoisted a boat from it's lift eyes, would it show the list on the hoist?

Ben Franklin
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 1:16pm
If it was just listing a little, it could be from anything. With 2 people of the same weight, I would think it would lean to the left under power, not the right. As SNObessed said, you're not going to find a perfect boat that's 20 years old. It looks like a great boat.

Here's a pic of my boat that the seller sent me before I bought it. It had a list and the foam was full of water. But I expected it.   

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Site guys - Random thought here - If you hoisted a boat from it's lift eyes, would it show the list on the hoist?

It might be easier/quicker to take a good look at the platform height and attitude over the water. Mine came up a good bit after the repairs and sits dead level when empty.

but I didn't get a micrometer after it.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Good point/idea SNob. I just took this pict 10 minutes ago of our neighbor's red '72 Mustang. Notice how it leans to the right while hanging and it does list the same way in the water. It's all original, (looks identical to Fly'n Bryan's up at LG) and we feel it's got a bit of water under the floor. However, it DOES NOT list when under power. While hanging, or in the water, a mere +/- 20lbs of counteracting pressure will level it out. Brian above I don't think mentioned if it listed at all speeds or just at cruise, or WOT. Marshall's 340 Mustang hanging beside the red Mustang, hangs and floats level, but early on the hull dropped scarily to the right once you got very close to top speed, and that turned out to be a slightly bent rudder. FWIW.   

ReidP
1973 Mustang

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 2:15pm
Hmmm, we were at kind of a slow cruise when I noticed it. I didn't really think to look for it at every speed.

It did seem to go back onto the trailer evenly. Wasn't like hitting the right side first of anything.
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 8:00pm
our 88 tilts right, could be a number of things.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic