NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tique in Pell City Alabama

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tique in Pell City Alabama
    Posted: October-05-2008 at 11:52pm
Just an FYI for anyone interested. There is a decent looking '78 Tique for sale I saw while out at our lake house this weekend. It's actually been in a lot for a few weeks now. Says only has 80 hours on current engine, hull looks to be in good shape, upholstery is good overall except the driver's seat.

They are asking $4200.

If I didn't have an '83 I'm working on, I'd be interested, so just passing on to anyone who might be looking for something to add their stable.

chris
Dtaylor373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dtaylor373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 12:01pm
Where in Pell City is it located?
David T
freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 12:37pm
Down close to the post office. It's in that open gravel lot where they've been having what looks like a big garage sale on Saturdays. Same place where they park all of the bass boats at tournament time.

chris
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 7:48am
Going for a test drive today, barring any problems Im going to buy it. I've always wanted a ski boat and I think this will be a good opportunity to get my foot in the door.

As a new boat owner and CC owner, I'm trying to find as much info as I can, any suggestions, ideas, things to look for? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 10:53am
If the seller will let you, check the motor mount bolts to see if they will spin CW (won't hold torque) - that signifies rotten stringers.

Soft spots in the floor are another sign of rot.

Look closely at the strut bearings to see if the shaft is centered in the rubber bushings. If it isn't, the strut is probably bent. I myself missed this & if I hadn't I could have gotten a price reduction on my boat deal.

Another inspection is to spin the prop by hand - shouldn't take 2 hands - shouldn't have any runout by the naked eye.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 1:31pm
Thanks for the reply, looking forward to taking it out today. Going to check the mount bolts along with these other items. The boat was supposedly redone (all but motor) around 1990 by Correct Craft (maybe CC dealer?). Im hoping this includes the stringers.    Improper winterazation several years ago caused the motor to be redone/rebuilt. (Supposed to have been done by Correct Craft also) 80 hours on rebuilt engine. The floor seems solid. The motor cover bolts are loose but doesn't seem to be the floor, more in the hinge.

Thanks again. I'll post back with an update later one way or the other. Im sure this will be the first of many questions asked here as I enter the wonderful, expensive, and frustrating world of owning a 30 year old boat, but I know when it cranks up and the straight pipes start to sing I'll be hooked.
freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 1:40pm
I've decided to try and let my '83 2001 go if you want to look at it. I have it about 5 minutes from where this one has been sitting. Let me know if you want to see it. I have it listed in the Diaries for sale.

Chris
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 2:28pm
Went over and checked it out again.
The prop spins easy with one hand and doesnt appear to be warped.
6 out of the 8 lag screws were tight. The other two were at the rear driver side, they would spin, but still felt pretty snug.
The floor area directly behind the engine cover was a little soft, it appeared to be a section of plywood that had some rotting. I don't think it needs replacing immediately, but could be a winter project. I am going to be foaming at the mouth to do something with it anyway. It appears that the plywood floor is broken up into sections so maybe only that piece would have to be redone. Just off the cuff, is this a difficult thing to do generally speaking?

Thanks again
Dtaylor373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dtaylor373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 2:43pm
When I looked at the boat. the trailer appeared a little big for the boat. Appeared to be a Ski Nautique trailer, not a Ski Tique. I may be wrong, you may want to check, the boat could fall in between the bunks.
David T
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 2:44pm
FYI, it sounds like the floor was repaired in a non-factory manner. That could be either good or bad, depending on the quality of materials and workmanship. The only wood in my Tique's floor was between the engine compartment and the battery box. Everywhere else had glass directly over the foam.
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 2:45pm
Chris, looks good, I could probably use the extra space, but this one is actually at the top end of my price range at the moment. Been reduced to $3500.
freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 2:50pm
Email me and we can discuss.

freemanca@gmail.com

chris
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 2:59pm
I'll get some more info from the owner about the redo, but even that was 18 years ago, so there may have been some additional work done since then.

The bunks are definitely wider than they should be for the boat. Off the top of my head, it may be replace the bunks with somthing wider (2x8 w/ astroturf maybe) to make it a little less of a worry.

I'll probably need to do some work to the trailer before I try to go far with it, but I'll only need to go 1/4 mile to use it around here.

Those items pointed out already seem to be the meat and potatoes that need to be checked out. What other items would you check. Lights, guages, bilge?, any ideas.

Thanks a ton for you help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 8:33pm
JD - Sounds like you have a good eye for this stuff, wish I had your assistance when I bought mine!

You might want to look at the wiring to see if it has been hacked (spliced) up. Original is better, even if it needs some attention.

Good luck!

Ben Franklin
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 11:12pm
Im guessing it came with a stereo because the one that's in it looks factory and it looks like it is from 1978. Any aftermarket stereo ideas?

At this point I want to make it as functional as possible, so original stuff can wait. Any ideas or info for storage or coolers? Or is it better/easier to have portable equipment, coolers, etc.?

What's the Maximum and comfortable occupancy limits, I'd guess 6 and 5 people respectively.

Thanks for the help
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 11:55pm
Max people capacity should be on the tag by the shifter.

Coolers are personal preference. I can tell you that Pete will urge you to 'keep it original'!

Ben Franklin
freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 12:36am
I think you'll be hard pressed to get that many people in a Tique comfortably unless they are all kids.

chris
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 7:23am
JD,
If you are looking for a boat for 5 to 6 people, honestly the Tique isn't a good choice. It is truely a ski boat designed for the driver and observer. We do fit 2 people in our widened observer's seat but I wouldn't say comfortably. The rear snap in seat is more decoration than functional. Ok for a couple of kids but that's it. We don't even keep the rear seat in the boat but do primarily ski with it.

You stated you are a CC owner. What's the other boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 12:41am
Thanks for the info. At least I won't have any illusions of throwing a party on this thing. It's good to know what to expect before hand. It will do 2 out of 3 things I want. I can ski behind it and I can get out on the water. Living on the lake without a boat is a bummer.

Is the stereo factory, I have seen some photos without it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 9:16am
Originally posted by JDiggs JDiggs wrote:

As a new boat owner and CC owner,
Thanks

So what's the other CC? We're nosy!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 8:48pm
Sorry my sentence wasn't clear. Im a first time boat and first time CC owner. Hope my next one will be a family ski boat and this one will become daddy's toy.
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 10:43pm
Got a question for you guys. Im pretty sure the current paint job on the boat is not factory. The guy said all but the motor was redone by correctcraft around 1990, which makes sense.

I was looking at a bunch of pics and the paint scheme and upholstry closely match an 89 ski nautique. Couldn't be just coincidence, looks too similar right?(other than the fact one looks great and the other rough)

89 Ski Nautiqu

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 6:34pm
As you guessed, its definitely not factory. Kind of a neat replication of the '89 scheme, though.

All Ski Tiques would have looked like one of these.

1982-1983 (top), 1976-1979 (bottom)

1980-1981:

JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 12:03am
Hey guys just thought I'd update. I took the boat for a test drive and bought it. When I got home tore thing apart to see what I really got. Well I got one good main stringer, one completely gone, and the side stringers are halfway gone. Not what I wanted to find, but not all that surprising either. After trying to figure out a way to half-ass it thru next summer, I've just about decided to bite the bullet and do it right. Thanks for all your help and advice, I'll be needing A LOT more of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic