NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turnbuckle for bow--strap failure!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 10:06am
Champion trailer, This is the piece I use with a little customizing. tie down
Daveinater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 11:22am
Alan,

On the page you linked to, are you referring to the "Bow Eye Tie Down Turnbuckle Kit"? Looks like they suggest that system over a chain or something else.

Some of you have cautioned against using a turnbuckle, saying it could rip the bow eye out. I can see that happening if you cinch it down just after putting the boat on the trailer and then pulling the trailer out where the entire weight of the boat literally yanks on the bow eye/turnbuckle (I've seen my ratcheting strap get tight after pulling the boat out even tho I kept it real loose when putting the boat on the trailer on the ramp). BUT I don't see how using a chain or other means would be any less harsh in the same circumstance.

My intention would be to use the turnbuckle as a "safety" where it's not cinched up real tight but is "there" should the boat want to slide back very much. Is that how you guys rig yours up?

I'm going to call Jethro at the marina and, if he's not too "busy", have him measure the distance from the bow eye to the trailer eye bolt so I can get a turnbuckle ordered. I like the idea of adding a winch but I don't even know what a welder LOOKS like, yet alone know how to weld a bunch of metal on the trailer for mounting a winch. Looks like a turnbuckle will be my solution, for now.

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 11:40am
I think if someone pulls the bow eye out it'll be among their smaller problems. It's pretty stout...bolted through a strap of heavy gauge steel that's bolted to the lifting eye.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Daveinater Daveinater wrote:

Alan,

On the page you linked to, are you referring to the "Bow Eye Tie Down Turnbuckle Kit"?

Yup, That's pretty much what the turnbuckle set up looks like on most of the old CC trailers although they used several different methods of attaching it to the trailer frame.

Also, the only problem you will have with a turnbuckle possibly damaging the bow eye is when you attach it while loading the boat. You must leave slack in the chain as the stern of the boat is still not fully resting on the bunks. When you pull the trailer out the stern settles, the bow rises, and if the turnbuckle is too tight you will have a problem. Most of the time I don't hook mine until I'm out of the water unless I'm on a steep ramp, then I just clip it on for safety and tighten it once we're out of the water.

I have yet to see a boweye on a Correctcraft fail.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 11:56am
Yeah, that all makes perfect sense. On other CC trailers I've seen like mine, I've seen the turnbuckle, and it appears my trailer had one at one point as well. I have an eye bolt down on the trailer, forward of the bow stop bunks and on the trailer frame just aft of the coupler. I've not seen any chain but rather a turnbuckle that attaches at the eye bolt and has a hefty clipping hook attached to the other end for attaching to the bow eye. I think that's the route I'll go.

I'm glad you guys stopped me from pursuing any further the addition of a slotted bar which hinges up to the bow eye...I can see where that'd be a pain in the neck. Thanks all. Hopefully I can "pay back" with some good info down the road. (now you know not to ask me anything about welding. But if it FLIES, ask away!)

This is a great site!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Also, the only problem you will have with a turnbuckle possibly damaging the bow eye is when you attach it while loading the boat. You must leave slack in the chain as the stern of the boat is still not fully resting on the bunks. When you pull the trailer out the stern settles, the bow rises, and if the turnbuckle is too tight you will have a problem.

Dave,
This is one of the reasons a winch mounted higher than the bow eye works out so well. I'd also like to add incase you missed it in the "winch" thread that I added a keel roller. It lifts the bow of the boat higher so the boats angle is closer to the angle of the trailer when it's in/on the ramp. The keel roller also eliminates the boats bow bounce when running down the road.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Also, the only problem you will have with a turnbuckle possibly damaging the bow eye is when you attach it while loading the boat. You must leave slack in the chain as the stern of the boat is still not fully resting on the bunks. When you pull the trailer out the stern settles, the bow rises, and if the turnbuckle is too tight you will have a problem.

Dave,
This is one of the reasons a winch mounted higher than the bow eye works out so well. I'd also like to add incase you missed it in the "winch" thread that I added a keel roller. It lifts the bow of the boat higher so the boats angle is closer to the angle of the trailer when it's in/on the ramp. The keel roller also eliminates the boats bow bounce when running down the road.

Pete, Do you still use a turnbuckle or just the winch strap to tie down with? I have never trusted a winch lock mechanism or the strap by itself. We hit a dip in the road at an intersection coming home from Clinton last night and I'm glad I had the chain up front.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

It's pretty stout...bolted through a strap of heavy gauge steel that's bolted to the lifting eye.

I asked a friend of mine to clip the turnbuckle down on Feelgood's BFN when we were loading it no a steep ramp. Little did I know he tightened it as much as possible before we pulled it out. After we got up and out of the way to organize the boat I noticed the back end of the boat was 1" off the bunks! It toock some muscle just to loosen the buckle but the boat sat back down w/o any damage at all to the bow eye area.

My brother overtightened the turnbuckle on Jonny's BFN and it deformed the safety clip he had on the end of it. Seems like the angle on that hull really changes coming out of the water on the factory CC trailer.

Make sure you get a quality turnbuckle with strong hooks and eyes and don't overtighten it!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 1:26pm

Pete, Do you still use a turnbuckle or just the winch strap to tie down with? I have never trusted a winch lock mechanism or the strap by itself. We hit a dip in the road at an intersection coming home from Clinton last night and I'm glad I had the chain up front.

Alan,
There is many a boat/trailer going down the road with the bow only held on with the winch but, I really have never trusted them ether! I will hook up the bow eye to the trailer eye as well. It also pulls the boat down onto the trailer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

After we got up and out of the way to organize the boat I noticed the back end of the boat was 1" off the bunks! It toock some muscle just to loosen the buckle but the boat sat back down w/o any damage at all to the bow eye area.

This was the case with my bfn when I learned to leave it loose coming up the ramp. Since the stringer job it will rock gently on level ground with very little effort on the turnbuckle.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 2:04pm
Pete/Alan,

I really like the idea of a keel roller and winch. At some point I'll work to have my trailer modified. I have a buddy from the airshow team days who is a master fabricator who I know would do a great job on modifying the trailer...the problem is he's always traveling w/ the team and slammed when he's at home. I'll print out some pictures from the trailers you guys have and see about getting some trailer mods done.

In the meantime, FYI I had the distance from the trailer eye bolt to the bow eye measured. It's 26" between them.

The McMaster-Carr website that someone provided (sorry, I've lost track who that was but you know who you are---thanks!) is great. You can essentially "build" the right turnbuckle from it.

Below is a picture of what I ordered. Keep in mind that my aim was to maintain structural strength by minimizing the additional pieces that would be required to connect the turnbuckle to the trailer and boat. My boat weight is approximately 2700 lbs.

The Jaw end will attach directly to the eye bolt on the trailer. The other end will need a shackle and hook attached to it (which totals 4.5 inches in length, thus leaving 21.5 inches of space for the turnbuckle itself.)

Here's the specs:

Turnbuckles
This product matches all of your selections.

Part Number: 3000T58      
1-5 Each $42.43 Each
6 or more $38.90 Each
Type
     Jaw and Eye Turnbuckles
Body Style
     Open Body
Round Eye Style
     Round Eye
Material
     Forged Galvanized Steel
Thread Size
     5/8"-11
Take-Up
     9"
Approximate Closed Length
     17-7/8"
Approximate Open Length
     26-7/8"
Work Load Limit
     3,500 lbs.
Eye Outside Diameter
     2-15/16"
Eye Inside Diameter
     1-1/4"
Jaw Outside Width
     1-5/8"
Jaw Opening
     7/8"
Jaw Pin Diameter
     1/2"
Jaw Length
     2-5/16"
Specifications Met
     American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
ASTM Specifications
     ASTM F1145-92 Type 1, Grade 1
WARNING
     Never exceed work load limits for this item.

The stainless steel version was very cost prohibitive---about $150.00--but the forged galvanized version was only $42.43 each...not too bad, especially considering the peace of mind that comes from having something attached to the boat that can withstand the possible loads placed upon it.

And, thanks to your stories, I'm make sure to NOT tighten it down after loading the boat on the trailer while on the ramp---but that story is a great testament to the superior strength and craftsmanship that goes into Correct Craft boats.
Dave D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 3:24pm
Daveinator, I got the email you sent to me regarding the turnbuckle... I replied to you several times but they keep coming back as undeliverable, fyi.
Glad to see you got the dimensions and info on where to get a turnbuckle. I still need to pick one up for my Sport and have found them locally at Fastenal. I originally checked with Ram-Lin Trailers but they refered me to my CC dealer. I then called my local CC dealer and the young guy in the parts dept said he did not even know that CC used to make their own trailers! He said he would do some research and call me back...he did not. No big surprise there as my Sport is probably older that he is. I bet it works better though, lol!! Anyway, I hope to run by Fastenal this week to pick one up. The diagram and dimensions really help, thanks!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 3:55pm
Hey Dave!

Sorry about that! Your e-mailing me back would actually require that I keep my e-mail address up-to-date...

Besides the turnbuckle, I also ordered a new shackle to attach the turnbuckle to the hook that goes on the bow eye. The one I had was stainless but based on what I see on the net, the load ratings for the stainless shackles are much much less than the forged steel ones. Since I've provided the turnbuckle info, here's the info for the shackle (what the heck--this might help someone):

3556T14
Hot-Dipped Galvanized Steel Forged D-Shackle with Safety Pin, 1/2" Diameter, 4409# Work Load Limit
In stock
Quantity     Each
1-24 Each     $16.05
25 or more     13.24

The grand total for everything was just over $62, and McMaster-Carr is located nearby in South Atlanta so no shipping!

Thanks for the attempts at getting back to me Dave...glad the info helped.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 5:04pm

Pete/Alan,

I really like the idea of a keel roller and winch. .

I don't believe there's a need for a keel roller if you're powerloading in fact it will probably get you in trouble more than help. The difference between Pete and I is he does not powerload and I believe the keel roller probably helps with winching the boat up in his situation. I do power load, these trailers were designed for powerloading and it works fine if you sink the trailer properly. With due respect to Pete's point of view I am on concrete ramps 99% of the time and I don't believe he is.

The pieces you bought will work but the one from Champion had everything you needed for $35. ???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 7:29pm

I don't believe there's a need for a keel roller if you're powerloading in fact it will probably get you in trouble more than help. The difference between Pete and I is he does not powerload and I believe the keel roller probably helps with winching the boat up in his situation. I do power load, these trailers were designed for powerloading and it works fine if you sink the trailer properly. With due respect to Pete's point of view I am on concrete ramps 99% of the time and I don't believe he is.

Dave,
Alan is correct that I don't like power loading. 2 of my boats are wood and I've never felt comfortable with the power loading. My 77 Tique I will power load but it's getting a winch as soon as I finish the other 137 projects I have going!!! In the nortwoods of Wisconsin, I'm lucky to see a ramp that the DNR has dumped some gravel in! Alan gets around to more ramps than I do and like he mentioned most are concrete.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 7:37pm
Alan,

Yes, I could have ordered the setup from Champion but...but....

I'm an IDIOT!!

I don't know why that didnt register with me. I think perhaps because it didnt give a load rating (which is probably not a big deal anyway) and I wasn't thinking "chain".

I picked up the setup this afternoon on the way to work and it's pretty beefy. The load rating on the shackle is 4400# and the turnbuckle is huge, so I wont worry about them not being able to handle the load. Granted, I dont plan on cinching up the turnbuckle anyway....

*sigh* Oh well...

I guess I should have re-read this thread before ordering...

As for power loading, that has always worked best for us, but again now I'm a bit gun shy. I know my wife is REAL gun shy and having a winch w/ a strap would be nice. Normally my wife applies a bit of forward thrust just as I pull the boat out and cuts it right away but we'll see if I can get her to do that now. She grew up on a farm in Canada so I think she'll get back in the saddle, so to speak.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 9:04pm
Dave, After you get the tie down set up I would take a serious look at the guide poles. You're not the first guy to bang a prop while loading. I didn't go back to the beginning of this thread to check but I believe you said you had a CC trailer. It's possible you could shorten the throw of the posts and make the distance between them narrower. That would require cutting and rewelding but a local shop could handle that for you.

So I'd adjust the guides or rework the prop guard framing but in my eyes there's no way a factory trailer should allow you to get into that kind of trouble in the first place. My last factory trailer had 1/4" of clearance between the prop and guard, had to shim the guard down to get it to be safe. A bit of a pain but atleast you would have peace of mind and the wife won't be afraid to help you load.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 9:09pm
Alan,

I'll check it out. I do have a CC trailer and the guide posts are pretty flexible (due to the trailer frame torquing). One plus is that I have a 13" 4-blade now vs. the 14" std. 3-blade, so that gives us more clearance.

Thanks for the suggestion.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 10:39pm
Hollywood. My uncle did that to my boat the first summer I had it. I was like why the hell is the boat sitting an inch off the bunks haha.
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2008 at 1:48pm
I agree the way to go for a woody is a winch but for a glass SN on the CC trailer there is no need for a winch. If you had a prop strike on the trailer then the trailer was in to deep. With the tops of the fenders out of the water the hull will contact the bunks and if not way out of shape coming in usually align itself. The purpose of powering it on is to keep the hull in contact with the bunks from front to back with no possibility of traveling over to the side of them. This will also eliminate any chance of the bow eye turnbuckle from being too tight because the boat is on the bunks, not floating at the back. I think the bow stops on the CC trailer are great because it would be very hard to damage your boat with it. The bow stop that is just a single piece of square pipe with a piece of angle on it for the bow to rest on is a disaster waiting to happen if you drive on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2008 at 2:09pm
Lee, good thoughts. Next time I'll keep the trailer a bit further up the ramp so the boat contacts the bunks forward to aft and see how that goes...assuming my wife is willing!

On another note, I had a 1976 Mustang that someone had restored beautifully EXCEPT they put it in 2001 colors. It was a "baby brother" to your boat Lee (see below). She was a beautifully running boat and we really enjoyed it. We just needed more room as our kids grew and moved on to a Sport Nautique. I sold the boat to a younger guy on Lake Wedowee in Alabama where we have a house and I've never seen it since. I wonder what happened to it.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2008 at 4:55pm
Kinda looked cool as a 2001 haha.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2008 at 7:44pm
That looks like a master crap trailer.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2008 at 8:12pm
Yep, it was a MC trailer. Actually, I really liked it and never did strike the prop on it either!

Notice how the standard 2001 decals were too long for the Mustang hull, so they had to cut them off at the front, vs. them coming to a point. Still looked pretty good though, unless you're a purist (I know you guys are out there!)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2008 at 8:15pm

On another note, I had a 1976 Mustang that someone had restored beautifully EXCEPT they put it in 2001 colors.

Dave,
When you got the 76 Mustang, did you know that the graphics were wrong? It does look weird. It would be like flying a 707 with 757 graphics!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2008 at 9:49pm
Yes, it is a bit of an interesting boat. To continue your airplane analogy, I guess this boat, if a plane, would be like this:

Well, I'll be honest...when I found the boat here in Atlanta, the price was actually in our (new hire airline employee) budget. I assumed it was an older model Ski Nautique. When I took it out for a test drive, I was smart enough to call my buddy Vince at Discount Inboard Marine who, after I described the boat, suggested I call Jeff down at Correct Craft. When I described the boat, he said something didnt sound quite right so I gave him the hull number and he told me it was actually a Mustang w/ a Ford 302. He was actually really excited about the fact that it was a Mustang and told me all about those boats. Does anyone know whether Jeff is still at CC? He told me about growing up and spending lots of time in the factory as a kid and really knew his stuff about CC, it's history and boats. He was a great guy and very willing to spend time w/ me on the phone before this purchase.

We really liked the boat and, seeing as how we had moved from California (and away from my parents' lake house and boat) to Georgia, it was the perfect boat for us. I actually sold the boat for more $$ than I paid for it, so I felt pretty good about that. I put a quick drain kit on the engine, added a FlushPro, electronic ignition and gas in the tank. That's all the $$ we ever put into it. The interior was beautiful and the boat looked like new, considering its age. It ran like a top and gave us several years worth of family fun.
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2008 at 11:57am
I had a 1976 Mustang that someone had restored beautifully EXCEPT they put it in 2001 colors. It was a "baby brother" to your boat Lee (see below).

wow someone went to a lot of trouble to make a 2001! it looks good but knowing something aint right kinda odd.

Dave still with the airline?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2008 at 12:14pm
Yep, but not USAir....Delta.
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2008 at 1:27pm
I'm sorry, hope things are better at Delta than Usair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2008 at 1:39pm
No apology needed...I had used the USAir photo so pointed out I wasn't with them. Yes, thank goodness I'm not with them, as they're two plus years past the "merger" but still operating two separate airlines, with two separate pilot groups, two separate schedules, etc. and LOTS of labor strife. Employee groups aren't talking to each other, etc. It's really really bad.

Meanwhile we're marching on towards our merger w/ Northwest and, knock on wood, things are going pretty smoothly.

It's a tough industry, that's for sure...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic