Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Torque & HP Open Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678
Author
MUCQB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MUCQB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 3:47pm
Some saturated foam I'm sure, however, I replaced the floor last summer and had the foam sitting free to breathe for over a month inside and out in the sun. Stringers were solid as a rock and still had the original womanized coating on them. My brother has a 26' cabin cruiser with a Chevy 350 (260hp)and Bravo 3 outdrive weighing 6,000lbs+ and it comes out of the hole as quick as my Southwind. I don't expect a hole shot like the Mustang on YouTube, but it should get up quicker than a 26' cabin cruiser. If I raise the prop pitch, will that help the hole shot? What about a 4 blade prop or a reduction gear? By the way, you can have your Found On Road Dead and I'll keep the most reliable engine ever built (Chevy 350). Thanks for everything guys!!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 4:11pm
MUCQB,

Welcome to the site.

I would recommend starting a new post with your problem, you may get more people looking at it than buried 8 pages deep in this thread.

PS. You probably shouldn't dis a FORD until your Chevy can break 35mph!!
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 10:10pm
Back to business....Joe in NY is at it again and asked me to plug his specs into Desktop Dyno so here you go....eat your heart out!!! This thing puts up monster torque numbers.

Joe, Take a look at all the specs and let me know if anything needs to be changed. I guessed at a 700 cfm carb, also used high performance manifolds and mufflers for exhaust. The chart jumps by over 50hp if I set it up for headers and no mufflers, time to cut some holes in that motor box.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 10:15pm
massive power also...nice stroker setup...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 11:44pm
Alan glad to see your up and running again. I have a 650 and a 750 cfm carb, this will most likely run the 750. Rod length is 6.2 inches. The lift numbers you used are the numbers for lift height at TDC, they are only there to assist in "degreeing" in the cam I should have mentioned that since he highlights them in green they were the first numbers I jumped to as well. I think the numbers that you really want to use are Net lift numbers listed which are .568 Intake, and .565 exhaust. The wet exhaust setup on these things is a tricky variable, there is no doubt there is a restriction but I had my hiteks made larger 1 7/8" tubes that run to the 3 inch collector and dual three inch exhausts that are considerably shorter than a car and have no mufflers. They certainly sound better than the average car with performance manifolds and mufflers. My guess is they end up somewhere between the two.

This engine with the cast iron heads, lower compression, dual plane intake, different cam, dynoed with the ported pcms (filled with but not pumping water) at 401hp at 4850 rpm. No plans to dyno it this time around as I really didnt get the tuning benefits I was hoping to get the first time out.. partially because there was no way to run water through the exhaust and partially because I didnt generated enough vacuum to get my 750 carb to work right and ended up switching it out after the fact.   

The goal with the current changes is mostly to move the power band up into higher rpms hopefully 5500 or so, as I was finding it hard to get a prop that would get down under 5000 rpm and if I did get one it would be at a pitch larger than what a 1 inch shaft can safely support. Along with that the pistons that came out over the winter were pretty well toasted so hoping the aluminum heads will help remove some heat.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2009 at 1:14am
No problem Joe, I was a bit confused on the terminology on the cam card. I did enter the higher lift numbers originally but went back to lower numbers since they mirrored what us flat tappet guys run!!!! Can you tell if those lift numbers are at .050 or .006. I think they're at .006 but the IV/EV timing events are at .050 so I did do a little guessing.

I also had a 750 carb on it and it didn't make any more power but it made it for a few hundred rpm longer before dropping off.

I don't think there's a way to change the rod length it must think you have a stock crank.

Once I update the numbers I'll run one with headers, you'll be happy to see that one.

I expected to see more hp to so the right cam specs should it. But that torque is crazy..
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2009 at 4:50am
[QUOTE=81nautique]   Can you tell if those lift numbers are at .050 or .006. I think they're at .006 but the IV/EV timing events are at .050 so I did do a little guessing.
[QUOTE]

Now you lost me.. lift is lift it occurs at an angle not a height?... did you mean duration. Duration is 268.5 intake and 280.1 at .006 or 218.5 int and 230 exh at .050.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2009 at 11:30am
You're right, after looking at this closer I see the errors, I put this together last night before leaving the office and I think I rushed through it.

So I fixed the rod length, changed carb to 750 and fixed the lift numbers, duration was correct at .050

These are just the results page, I emailed you the full pdf's. I also ran a sim with headers and open exhaust.

These numbers are with headers and open exhaust

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2009 at 11:38am
to get lift, Ill set up a Dial indicator on the rockers and hand crank the engine, zero it on the low side and the make a complete pass until the indicator goes back to zero, lets say it was .310. then you take that figure and multiple by 1.5 and that is your lift on that valve....in this case my lift is .465
just threw that out there for info
"the things you own will start to own you"
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2009 at 10:40pm
you'll be swinging a big prop with that setup, arent you?
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 3:05am

Brian
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2009 at 10:42am
Could you desktop my 351 for me please if you have a chance? .030 over, 9.7 to 1, performer rpm,hi-teks,comp cam #, 12-324-4 comp, 1.7 crane full rollers

and could you check difference between a 600 and 750 carb? if I missed anything let me know thanks! Brian
Brian
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2009 at 10:45am
Oops it didnt upload the head info? M-6049-X305 ford racing part #, I will try one more time
Brian
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2009 at 10:46am
Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678
  Share Topic