NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Considering a bowrider ski boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering a bowrider ski boat
    Posted: October-14-2008 at 10:36pm
I know there was a thread a few weeks back, but can't seem to locate it.

In any event, we put a whopping 5 hours on the I/O bow-rider this season, and a good 50 hours plus on the skier. Same thing last year.

Which begs the question...'honey, why do we have both of these boats...'

Now, while I'm the first to agree with toy-collections, I see her point.

However we do, on occasion, some family boating..tubing, etc...and as everyone one here knows, the 18 foot skier is not suited for that task.

So, with all that being said, what are some recommendations from the members here on a bow-rider ski boat. I'm not talking new here..prefer something of a classic...80's or 90's...etc....

I just know so little about these style of boats and what would be a good 'all-around' boat in the "event" I choose to sell the skier.

thanks folks...

Ultra--
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2008 at 10:48pm
I think they're over rated. I've raised 3 kids in a CB and don't see what draws people to an OB.

I don't think Correct Craft made a 3 event OB boat until the 90's, so unless you go with an old Malibu, you're probably looking at 90's boats.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2008 at 11:09pm
My thought is that when I have my myself, my wife and a family of 3 more, I'm sorta running out of space in my CB skier. At least the little 18 footer like I have now.

I'm thinking maybe a SN?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2008 at 1:37am
Have owned a couple open bow's and have been really happy with them. When you have a full boat the person's in the bow will definitely obstruct your view. What will open up the boat quite a bit also is a tower or extended pylon by allowing you to pull with people in the back seat.

As Bruce mentioned you are probably looking at first years of straight inboard open bows as a 8x Martinique, 90 Sport, 92 SNOB or an 03' 206. Older open Bows are somewhat rare as well.
jwchapman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwchapman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2008 at 1:14pm
With a family, I think open bow ski boats are great. Since I am a cash for toys person, my boats have always been old. I owned an '88 MC TriStar 190 for 6 years and now have a '91 Sport Nautique. Both are great, but different, boats.

The TriStar had a very good ski wake but only a marginal wakeboard wake and occasionally felt small inside (I didn't have a tower on it). The Sport has an OK ski wake (not as good as the TriStar) but a much better wakeboard wake and is noticably bigger inside. I have a tower on the Sport which helps with wakeboard, tube and rope management. The Sport also handles rough water better - the hull is not as flat as the TriStar's.

Similar engines in both (Indmar and PCM Fords) - easy to maintain. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
1991 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2008 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I think they're over rated. I've raised 3 kids in a CB and don't see what draws people to an OB.

Bruce,
Maybe we are old school on this one but I've never really liked the open bows. When they first came out, my first thought was they looked like a typical open bow I/O and really not a "ski" boat!! On the other hand, we ski with a driver and observer (maybe 2) and I do know some don't have that luxury. I also thought the same when the V drives came out but do also know they serve a purpose too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2008 at 3:23pm
Pete, we're difinately old school and in the minority, but I really don't understand why people think they need a bow rider, especially on a 3 event boat where the seating in the bow is not all that good anyway.

I believe Malibu invented the tourney bow rider in the early 80's. They took quite awhile to catch on, but when they did, the whole industry changed. Then came the V drives, but Century was making them all through the 60,s, 70's and 80's. If only someone had thought to put a tower on an Arabian, they might still be in business.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2008 at 6:43pm
The base question comes down to old school versus utility. You CB guys obviously don't have a boat full of gear and more than three people on the boat that ski all day.

Now with my SNOB, I can ski, board and have 6 kids on the boat without the risk of decapitating someone..

Sure, they don't look like ski boats anymore, but it certainly increases your time on the water, which is always a good thing. Throw the kids up there saves on the "ear" damage (if you know what I mean) ha...

My recommendation is if your're going to get a CC OB, make it later than 93', because your going to get wet. It's hard to keep water out of the bow in choppy water. Prior to 03'= wood instead of composite. Water bad

Anyway, if your considering it just don't buy an I/O bowrider.. Make it a direct drive product..

Just my 2 cents..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2008 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

My recommendation is if your're going to get a CC OB, make it later than 03', because your going to get wet. It's hard to keep water out of the bow in choppy water. Prior to 03'= wood instead of composite. Water bad

I do believe you mean '93, sir.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2008 at 10:23pm
Ok, so let me get this straight...prior to 93, CC's were wood? Someone has told the the MC's were fiberglass back pretty far..but can't remember the year. I'd prly stick with a CC.

And to bring Mojo up to speed....No, I'm not considering an IO OB. I have one of those AND a little 18 foot American skier.

The IO has seen a whopping 10 hrs of hobbs time the last two seasons..hence the discussion that I started about getting an all-around OB inboard.

And yes, I'd agree...not reason for wood on a ski boat. They should have all be glass decades ago....they're perpetually wet...not sure why wood floors stuck around for so long, other than being 'cheap' to build. And to be clear in my search, I am NOT considering something with a wood floor.

Thanks for the comments so far...

Ultra--
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2008 at 11:29am
Definetly go '93 or later then. I have the '89 Sport and it has been great! I do not have a problem with the floors, but I do not want to be the owner when it does. That involves splitting the deck from the hull to get under the open bow area. Does not sound fun.
I love the layout, though. A lot of people say they have a hard time keeping water from coming over either the front or back with the euro tail. I have never taken water over the back (unless I did it intentially to soak a few friends) and only once taken water over the bow in very rough water with two adults sitting up there. I love the space and am even finding myself wanting more (v-drive). That is the only bad part of the direct drive open bows. There always seems to be three conversations going on. One on the bench seat, driver/spotter, and in the bow, but I guess three conversations in not any worse than two in a CB.

I don't think you could go wrong with a SNOB or Sport.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2008 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

My recommendation is if your're going to get a CC OB, make it later than 03', because your going to get wet. It's hard to keep water out of the bow in choppy water. Prior to 03'= wood instead of composite. Water bad

I do believe you mean '93, sir.

Yes, damn fingers got tripped up... 93'
Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 11:03pm
If you have an OB you can do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AOltMu768&feature=related
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic