NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

More like a Briar Patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456>
Author
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 2:45am
Everything seems to take a priority over this boat but it does move forward from time to time. I thought I would revive the post for the amusement factor. Paint pictures to follow.
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 3:48am
Have tried for one hour to post photo bucket updates and only can get a thumb nail picture to post? Any suggestions as to my errors.
hasbeenskier
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 11:21am
Howdy BJ. Are you using the thumbnail code? The image code is the one you want. I'm looking forward to the pics.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 1:02pm
Hey Greg it has been a long time.   Got It.
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 1:13pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 1:16pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 1:17pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 1:18pm
hasbeenskier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 2:35pm
The gelcoat looks amazing!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2011 at 12:55pm
Nicely done BJ..Looks like I need to take that trip down there and see it person. Carry on my good man!    
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2011 at 1:20pm
I'm looking forward to hearing about the mods. Looks great sir!
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2011 at 2:56pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 4:06pm
BJ, your work looks really clean, as always! I do miss the feet though.

I didnt realize you were switching colors- the red looks great. I have to ask- what did you do with your old (blue) interior? From what I remember, it looked to be in great shape.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 5:39pm
Very nice and I also love your reproduction trailer.

Donald
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 5:44pm
Tim, My wife liked the big feet too. I NEVER have. I debated spelling it all out like the 90's. But I prefer the 80,s version better. I am sure you also picked up on the 80;81 Ski Nautique reverse graphics. I have never seen a BFN done so until C.C. went to the tri-colors I hope I do not offend the purist's. I am selfish and want what I want.
The Blue interior is now in my 2001.
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 5:49pm
Thanks, Don you are too kind. I like the old style trailers enough to have paid to have them replicated. I now have a #3, #4, and a 2001 replicas all hot dipped. They should out last me.
hasbeenskier
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 9:34pm
BJ,

My refurbished Boat Trailer has some round After Market Fenders that I do not like. However, they work, but I am having trouble putting wood and carpet on the back side due to a stange curve on the inside of the finder. I am toying with the idea of having some proper square top CC Finders made for my trailer. Just like you have made for your trailer. There is a old post where Tim made some for his Ski Tique. I have that post and measurements and have considered having some made locally. there also seems to be several sizes out there so I would need to double check before fabrication. I do not need them Galvanized and I would prefer paint for my application.

How hard would it be to have you or your guy make me a set for my CC Trailer? would you be intrested? I travel Florida via car about every other month so I could pick them up and they would not have to be shipped.

I do not want you to go to any trouble and I can have it done locally, but you may have a set ungalvanized or be able to make it happen better than me. I have pretty much told myself that I am crazy to even change them out. It is not a must do deal, but I would prefer the square top.

What are your thoughts about make me some reproduction fenders? tilley166 at bellsouth.net.

Thanks,

Donald   
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 10:51am
Donald,
I will help in any way I can. Fenders are easy for any fabrication shop I have used a couple locally over the years. I will e- mail you later.
bj
hasbeenskier
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 11:45am
great work BJ, That is going to look incredible next to the Ski Antique.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2011 at 12:01am
It may not look like much but in my view it is a mile stone. The deck has been gel coated with non skid texture and now it needs reassembly. It should be the easy part.
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2011 at 12:02am
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2011 at 12:03am
hasbeenskier
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2011 at 3:14am
have been thinking about this boat and what was goin on with it. Looks just awesome. as always. graphics look great. gonna be a winner!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2011 at 3:46am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

BJ, your work looks really clean, as always! I do miss the feet though.

I always think of these when I see the feet.

Has anyone ever seen them worked into the graphics?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2011 at 11:27am

Still haven't seen the briar patch...    
1988 BFN-sold

80SN Barnfind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80SN Barnfind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by hasbeenskier hasbeenskier wrote:

I had a good day today. I fabricated the new composite stringers to the 81 BFN. They are constructed of two layers of Divinycell H-80 5/8" (5 pound density), sandwiching two layers of 1.5 ounce glass mat in between.

Hasbeen,
What was the glass schedule you used over the core mentioned above? What did you use to tab it into the hull? I am looking into similar composite for my SN.

Thanks,

Noel
Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.

MMT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by hasbeenskier hasbeenskier wrote:

The foam simply gives the stringer shape The wrapping of the stringer in glass provides the strength.

Then why must we restring our boats with wood when the original wood becomes soft if all the strength comes from the glass?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by MMT MMT wrote:

Then why must we restring our boats with wood when the original wood becomes soft if all the strength comes from the glass?

You don't. But in the original case the wood is the load bearer and for the most part think of the glass being the glue that holds it together. The majority of us are more comfortable working with what we know rather than reengineering
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 10:50pm
Noel, I have seen new materials come out since I started this project. I will have to look up the name of it. I am referring to the materials used for the stringers. The glass was layers of 1.5 ounce mat and a glass known by its number 1808. It is a biaxle.
hasbeenskier
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 9:16am
to imagine fiberglass from a boat builders point of view you have to break it down in laymans terms, one would think that using balsa core on a boat would be ridiculous, but its not, balsa core, almost cardboard is utilzed for its lightweight, on its own forget about it.but now you have to imagine lets say a piece of cardboard on its own, it would bend very easily, now if you took and glassed one side of the cardboard it would still bend very easily, its not until you add that other cloth and glass to the other side and ending up with glass, cardboard, glass, then the ridgity comes into play. if you put this piece across 2 saw horses and stood on it then you can imagine the force, the top piece of glass would want to concave and the bottem would want to convex (stretch) and the cardboard would be just a filler. thats why this process is used, really in theory the bottem piece of glass should not stretch creating the ridgity.
its very hard to try to describe the ridgity of glass, im not saying that filler is not important, but you do have to keep the spacing between the 2 layers for its strength
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456>
  Share Topic