Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil drain plug: Metric Thread???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil drain plug: Metric Thread???
    Posted: October-20-2008 at 3:29pm
I want to put an "Easy Drain Oil Kit" on my boat. '76 Southwind with 351w. Skidim has two. One is listed for "older boats" http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK024056A which I am assuming is mine. But other sites show metric for my engine. I can't imagine being Metric back in the 70's. Also - I know this hose will not reach my rear drain plug. I figure I can at least drain it into a container and then pump it out with the electric pump I bought that doesn't pump 100% of the oil out thru the dipstick tube. Any thoughts?
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

Eagle Mountain Lake Fort Worth
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2008 at 6:54pm
Kirk,
You're making twice the amount of work!! Ether get a pump that will suck out through the dip stick (don't worry about some oil still in the pan) or get a hose made that will go to the bilge drain.
Most Napa's can make up hose assemblies. Remove the fitting in the pan, take it and the length you need to the store. I'm sure it's not metric but you may have a JIC flare fitting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2008 at 7:05pm
I did have that thought. The part comes with 42" of hose, so I thought I would buy it and then replace the hose or splice it to reach the rear end. Thanks
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2008 at 7:16pm
Kirk are you saying that you dont have a drain plug in the center of the boat under the engine? Very nice southwind btw nicest I have seen.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

dont have a drain plug in the center of the boat under the engine? Very nice southwind btw nicest I have seen.

Correct. The only drain is thru the transom. Thanks for the compliment. The PO is an old military/aggie and kept it in pristeen condition. Yours is very nice too. Love your tower!
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 12:39am
I use one of these and just hook it to my oil drain hose.
http://www.mityvac.com/hq_images/07400.jpg
Has alot of other uses around the garage also
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2008 at 2:14pm
end of drain kit is pipe tread.Should be easy to build up an extension,or plumb a little giant pump in right there and add hose to discharge side.

Good luck Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 2:35pm
Just buy the oil hand pump out of overtons. Put one end on the dipstick end, and the outlet hose into a container. It will get just about all of it out.

Hand pump

I took the hose fitting off the inlet end, and it fits right on my dipstick opening. You can also use it for the tranny fluid change.
74SkiNautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic