Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

boat covers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
springsies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote springsies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boat covers
    Posted: October-26-2008 at 9:07pm
I have a 1972 Correct Craft Mustang and would like to know what brands of boat covers for trailering and winter storage, have people used? My current cover is leaking and all of the restoration I put into the boat seems to be deteriorating. I was looking at Rankin, Sunbrella, Carver or Taylor Made. Anyone using one of these manufacturers?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 12:36am
Have had 2 Sunbrellas for my '80. Like them..fit pretty well..just wish they would hold their color better in the Florida sun.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 8:53am
John,
wasn't there a group buy arrangement sometime ago for Rankin covers. I think Tim was involved
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 9:15am
Tom,
Be very carefull with purchasing the cover. If you plan on doing alot of trailering with it, a generic "fit's all cover for inboard boats 17 to 18 feet" isn't the greatest choice. They never fit tight enough and are always flapping around going down the road no matter how well it's tied down. I really think the pictures you see of these covers only show one side of the boat because the photographer has got all the extra cover material cinched up on the backside. Check out having a custom cover made for the boat.

Also, if you store the boat outside for the winter in a spot that will see a snow load, extra support for the cover is needed.

Tell us more about your restoration. Of coarse we need pictures too!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 4:56pm
Rankin makes great covers, but they wont have a template for your Mustang. I purchased a few Carver covers (pretty inexpensive) this year for both my Skier and Tique. They fit OK with the square windshield. You'll need a few good cover supports and some bungees, though. No way would I tow with it.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2008 at 3:13am
right you are Charlie.

I have towed with both my Sunbrella tarps. I took them to a canvas shop here in town to have 2 spots for poles sewn in and added extra bungies.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2008 at 12:24pm
I have the cheapie made-for-a-Nautique cover from Overtons. I think it cost around $225. It's the one that only comes in grey. It is made to tow with and I have done it successfully. I've probably towed around 2,500 miles with it. The fit is about an 8 on a 1-10. It has lasted since 2000. I stored the boat inside with it for about 4 years and under a covered slip for the other 4. It's spent little time in the sun so I don't know how well it would hold up in the rays, but for me it's held up great!

Matt

h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2008 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

right you are Charlie.

I have towed with both my Sunbrella tarps. I took them to a canvas shop here in town to have 2 spots for poles sewn in and added extra bungies.

john

My upholstery guy loves the Sunbrella material. He restitched my cover, added fuzzy backed vinyl along the rub rails(sez the screws back out and damage the cover when trailering),waterproofed it and sez its good for another 10 yrs.
My favorite quote of his:
" That ain't no Bayliner- you got to fit that cover like a fine womans booty! No wrinkles, no droop and keep it clean!"
70 Mustang project
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2008 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Brktracer Brktracer wrote:

I have the cheapie made-for-a-Nautique cover from Overtons. I think it cost around $225. It's the one that only comes in grey. It is made to tow with and I have done it successfully.

Matt, Ive got the same Westland cover for my Skier, and I agree that the fit isnt bad. I have to disagree that it is "made to tow", though. There is much more to a towable cover than straps that attach to the trailer! If you were to ever see a Rankin in person, you would know what I mean- the fit is extremely precise and super tight, so it doesnt catch wind and mark up the gelcoat. I have to say that the only covers Ive seen that are truly trailerable are the Rankin style, and a handful of custom made covers, like Pete suggested.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2008 at 1:03pm
springsies,
I have approached Rankin about offering their covers through the site. As Tim pointed out, they make great trailerable covers but they won't already have the pattern for your '72 Mustang.

A Rankin cover is around $700. Let me know if you're interested and we get to work on getting all the proper measurements of your boat to Rankin.

Feel free to email me.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 12:42am

TRB, I want to graduate to the $250ish cover you have, I've got the Walmart $50 dollar special on it right now.   I can't figure out which one will fit the 16.5 ft hull though, can't find listing for Skiers or Stangs on Overton's. If you can, would you help me narrow down the options so I get the right one you have that fits the Skier.

Overtons

Thanks
-Adam

1973 Skier
mr_beat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 3:01am
If you want it to last a long time try to get one made of "Top gun" this canvas will outlast the threads its stitched with a few times over.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 11:41am
Adam, as strange as it sounds, the Overtons cover that fits my Skier pretty well is allegedly #71043. I answer this tentatively because their website says its supposed to fit a 1981 Ski Nautique, and the box said 1981 Ski Nautique/Tique.

I dont know if the one I specifically got was packaged incorrectly- that is very possible. I got it from Dave (copcraft) after he bought it from Jake- you can see the trouble they had in this thread.. Apparently it didnt fit the Mustang 17 or Ski Nautique very well.

Amazingly, the cover actually matches the curved windshield very nicely... it fit the Skier much better than my Ski Tique. Id love to get a custom sunbrella cover for the boat at some point, but for a $240 cover, this one is pretty decent.

skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 10:00pm
I have had all kinds of covers from canvis to Vinyl. The best I have had is sunbrella. It's light weight, strength, breathablity and color fastness is second to none. Yes it is costly but it's long life will more than make up for it. Have it custom fit so its tight, hose it off when dirty and treat with 303 fabric guard when water stops beading on it and it will last a long time. Untill they come out with something better it is the only material I will use.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic