Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Taking it out to the sea -is it possible?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
yanivsai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanivsai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking it out to the sea -is it possible?
    Posted: October-30-2008 at 9:19am
hi guys
boat is skinautique 1982
i live 10 miles from the sea (the Mediterranean).my boat was at a fresh water lake,very quiet one and no real waves,untile now.now its home.
is it possible to take the boat out to the sea ? i mean with the waves ? lets say somthing between 2 to 4 feet waves...even less at early morning.
what about the salt ? is it a problem to the engine cooling ?
thanks
yaniv
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 9:43am
Yaniv,
Get a flush kit so when you get back you can run fresh water through the engine to get rid of the salt. Running in salt will shorten the life of the exhaust manifolds/risers but there are plenty of people that do it.

Now, the waves. Just be prepared to get wet!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 9:44am
Yaniv,
I think you will find that the 2 foot waves will make for an uncomfortable ride and the 4 footers will be dangerous. This size and style of hull weren't designed for that type of use. Quite a few members had their boats at Green Lake for last summers reunion, and crossed the lake with what I think were 2 to 2and a half foot waves, it was a rough,wet hard pounding ride in the smaller boats. Others will add info on the saltwater issue
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 12:16pm
wel we use the boat in sea. sometimes bad conditions we crossed 2 or 3 feet it all depends on your driving speed and skill definatly gonna get wet. just becarefull. as for salt as pete said get a flush kit and wash your boat and trailer everytime you use the boat. spray some kind of lubricant on the engine
JHadji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHadji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 3:21pm
Yani - you might also check your thermostadt. If you're raw water cooled and it runs at 160, you might need to switch out to a 140 degree.
1988SkiNautique2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by JHadji JHadji wrote:

Yani - you might also check your thermostadt. If you're raw water cooled and it runs at 160, you might need to switch out to a 140 degree.

John,
I've never heard of having to switch to a lower temp T stat. on salt water. I'm curious as to why.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 3:46pm
I seem to remember from high school chemistry that salt depresses the boiling point of water, and I think at higher temperatures the minerals in the water plate out more easily, probably a combination of the two.
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 3:57pm
hmm never had a problem with engine running hot. and we use it constantly maybe a 15 min break but for the rest continues use fo about 4 to 5 hours
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 4:06pm
I do understand that the best heat tranfer is with pure water and salt water doesn't transfer as much heat. I would think the T stat would just open farther allowing more water flow to compensate.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
yanivsai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanivsai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 4:44pm
so
basically go in at low sea,preper to get wet,
and wash after...sounds fun..

what is a flush kit ?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 5:21pm
flush pro

They are available in 1" and 1&1/4" check the ID of your hose.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
yanivsai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanivsai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 5:33pm
thanks guys
you are great help
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 8:50pm
maybe your boat already has one? it's mounted behind the engine right above the tranny... ours came with one
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by JHadji JHadji wrote:

If you're raw water cooled and it runs at 160, you might need to switch out to a 140 degree.

An engine with a ~140 (143) thermostat will run right around 160.
JHadji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHadji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 5:18pm
I believe that over 160 F, salt will crystallize in the cooling system. Running at 140 is not the optimum operating temp, but gets you out of the danger zone and into the ocean. I'm actually a ChemE, but I only learned this from my ski buddies in OC NJ. Admittedly, I never actually put mine in the brine.
1988SkiNautique2001
JHadji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHadji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 5:35pm
Checked my college text and solubility is pretty flat to increasing as temp rises in this range? I'll check w/the water guru at work if I get a chance. More of a curiosity now that you asked. Chime in if I'm all wet on this one.
1988SkiNautique2001
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 8:31pm
i doubt that it will crystilize 160 F is not even close to waters boiling temp i think as long as theres water circulating in the engine you shouldn't have a prob you better wash it after use.. If it would have done damage we3 would have been screwed by now and allot of other boat so you should not be worried have fun with it
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 8:13am
Everything will corrode faster after exposure to the salt and other chemicals in sea water. The brightwork on the boat, the trailer - if it's metal, it's going to react.

If you plan to leave the boat in salt water, you should look into sacrificail anodes for the hull. The salt water will allow a process similar to that which makes a battery work to eat away at any metals under water.

I've been an ocean sailor most of my life and have an ongong battle with the effects of salt on my sailboats. I don't take the CC into salt water at all.
1989 SN 2001
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 4:10am
This reminds of gilligan and the skipper, they didnt turn out so well....
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 10:46am
At least Mary Ann & Ginger were on board!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 11:20am
And the professor too!!
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 11:41pm
soo yaniv did you take it out yet??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic