NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Waterski for the disabled

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waterski for the disabled
    Posted: October-31-2008 at 6:21pm
Little discussion we had amongst friends at our local bar on a friday (today eh...).

I have a good buddy who is disabled from the shoulders down. We were talking about skiing and he told me that he goes skiing every winter on the snow. He has a contraption that looks like a wheelchair with a big ski in the middle. And he has sticks with a little ski on the end to steer with. He will bring this "wheelchair" to his shop to show it to me by the end of next week (pics will follow then).

I told him I would ask on this great forum if there is something like a wheelchair for waterskiing...
As we talked about it, I told him maybe there is something based on a sky-ski that can be fabricated as a ski for disabled people like him.

This idea enchanted him and maybe some of you experienced guys here could help us...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 6:48pm
Do a google search on disabled water skiing, and disabled wakeboarding. You will find lots of sites. There are even tournaments for disabled participants. Here's a link to the British disable water skiing association.

I did some research about 5 years back when a neighbor was paralyzed from the waste down in a motorcycle accident. Unfortunately, though he was only in his early 20s, we could not convince him to get back behind the boat. BKH

www.bdwsa.org
Livin' the Dream

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 6:50pm
We have about 5-6 skis fitted with seats for teaching disabled people to ski. You are correct they look like big airchairs with straps for the feet and a basket to sit in. There are noodles around the frame of the basket so it will not tip upside down when they fall. Our skis are locked up in the building at our show site for the winter. I may be able to get in there this Sunday but that'll be my last chance until spring.

You can definitely get him skiing. They are even jumping!

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 6:52pm
I have seen a number of articles about disabled skiers using this kind of device.

ski for disabled

Also, some folks down the lake from us when I was a kid had a thing like this, not for disabled skiing but just for fun.

In looking for a real picture of one of those, I ran across this.

All kinds of options. Good luck to you and your friend in coming up with something for him.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 6:59pm
I agree with BKH and HW Kristoff. They have disabled waterski tournaments all over and even a national tournament just like any other skiing regimen. You can find info about it at usawaterski.org. It's getting more and publicity as the events get bigger and more competitive. It's amazing what some of these skiers can do.   
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 7:46pm
WOW!!
Thanks for the great response guys! I will definitly show him the pics you posted here!
If he sees them he will sure be on the water next season!
Thanks again dudes...
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 8:39pm
See this site for a photo of a wakeboard for disabled persons. BKHphoto of diabled wakeboard rider
Livin' the Dream

TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2008 at 3:42pm
Kristof, check http://www.variaski.nl/ and http://www.toonvdploeg.nl/nieuws.php. The first link belongs to a skiclub in Groningen that "specializes" in disabled skiers. The second belongs to one of their members, multiple worldchamp Toon van de Ploeg. (Sorry to all others, both sites are in dutch.)
I was a member there for a couple years (yes, they also have non-disabled (abled?!) members. I drove and taught blind, deaf and people with whatever other disability.
Very rewarding!
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2008 at 5:10pm
Thanks for the info Trip. I'll look into it!
I'm just glad I can bring my buddy good news when I see him next week.

tjlake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjlake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 2:41pm
Check out this link. This is located on our lake and he does some kind of good job. Once you see a disabled person ski for the first time, You'll NEVER complain again about being tired or sore. I know the guy personally and will be glad to help anyone make contact if the need.

www.adaptiveaquatics.org

skibum1110 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skibum1110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 7:36pm
If you looking for any information on this topic Ann OBrine-Satterfield is the one to contact.Her website she promotes is www.ucanski2.com. She is a Long time member of the Lakeland Water Ski club in Lakeland,Fl. I have skied with her for a long time and is one of the nicest ladies in the water ski world. Here's some of her awards...

Winner of 6 National and 2 World Championships

American Water Ski Education Foundation 2005 - Award of Distinction

Florida Water Ski Federation - Hall of Fame

The United States Olympic Committee - Athlete of the Month

1992 Ski Nautique
1975 Ski Nautique
2000 Ski Nautique
2006 Ski Nautique 206 Limited
2005 Air Nautique 206 Team
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 11:47pm
Small world Chris...Danny and Kathy Conner have a place on Norris up in Tennessee where we are. Saw their Malibu van in the parking lot there with Polk county plates. Joined Lakeland and skied one show with them. Met Ann thru them. Never really clicked with the group but the Conners and the couple with the redheaded wife (forgot their name) were nice.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
skibum1110 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skibum1110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 6:27pm
That's Kevin and Sam Hayes a great couple. I have known them all for awhile. Chris
1992 Ski Nautique
1975 Ski Nautique
2000 Ski Nautique
2006 Ski Nautique 206 Limited
2005 Air Nautique 206 Team
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 3:51am
Thanks Chris...shouldve been able to remember their names...very nice couple.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Buckeye1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckeye1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 4:03pm
In the Charlotte, NC area there is a program for disabled skiers (referred to as adaptive skiers) and coordinated by the Adaptive Sports and Adventures Program(ASAP) affiliated with Carolina Medical Center. ASAP has a waterski program which offers waterskiing to adaptive skiers throughout the summer from a local YMCA which is located on Lake Norman. The Lake Norman Ski Club does an annual ski-a-thon in February to help raise funds for this program. The upcoming event is 2/15/08 and we have several adaptive skiers that participate. Last year Ann attended and help promote this event, through her organization, described in a earlier post as well as her affiliation with USA Waterski, which does have a program for disabled skiers.

Thanks
John

John
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 10:51am
Buckeye1NC
I am also in the Charlotte NC area (Mint Hill) please contact me concerning the ASAP program. gskfossett@carolina.rr.com
Thanks
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic