NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Look what followed me home!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Look what followed me home!
    Posted: November-02-2008 at 7:50pm
Went to pick up the free correct craft today. Jacked it up out of the ground and put some air into the tires and backed it onto the trailer. I now need a rudder for it because in my infinate wisdome I was more concerned about the tires hitting the ramps and didnt pay any attention to the under side while my dad was backing it onto the trailer. So if anyone has one that would work Im in the market for one.

The original color looks to be orange with a white deck and a lower white stripe. It has some type of chevy small block in it I havent checked out the numbers on the block yet. It has a BW velvet drive behind it. The hull is pretty solid with an average ammount of nicks in it. Its been outside for a while with no cover and looks to have been used as a trash can so I dont have much faith in the stringers behing solid although it didnt have a drain plug in it.

Its pretty complete other than the engine. Judging by the look of the installation of the motor it probably never ran in this state. It has a super trick all pvc pipe exhaust system held together with indoor rubber plumming joints too.

So what the heck is it a skylark? Also, where would the vin be on this boat. I think the trailer is original and looks to be pretty solid other than some surface rust and the poor attempt at a bow stop. Also sorry for the slightly to wide pictures I dont have a photo editor on this computer yet.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 8:03pm
Great find. The Skylark was the left hand version of the Mustang. It looks like it has the fiberglass floor pan in it, so it's probably a 68-70.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 8:17pm
I'd say it is one of the automotive conversion kits. Glen-L still makes them. the manifolds look like Glen-L's

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 8:38pm
Pete they say glenwood on the middle exhaust runners.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 9:03pm
Zach, the hull number should be on the stringer top,on the left hand side of the engine,somewhere between motor mounts.That rudder by the way looks to from a later model.Either way the price was right!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 9:17pm
That is so sweet. Im prayin for the day I make a find like that. Best of luck.
lonestar
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 9:22pm
Thanks guys Im going to go shovel it out and try to check out the VIN.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 10:56pm
Wow. I admire your ambition.

What is with the knob on the valve cover that reads 710?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Wow. I admire your ambition.

What is with the knob on the valve cover that reads 710?

It is the cheapest possible oil chrome aftermarket cap, got a few myself, should be a great project way more parts than came with my mustang...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 11:38pm
The stringers look to be pretty solid all of the lag bolts bite hard and there is little to no glass cracking only in a few places where the fuel tank mounts and the cross support for the floor is. The exposed foam in the back is a little wett so im just going to scoop all of it out for now so I can fit 3 inch exhausts. The floor feels pretty solid and some inital wet sanding and buffing is showing excellent results with the gel coat. Its going to be buzzin across the lake by spring. Also it is standard rotation.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 11:43pm
Steve, heres a place where you can get a new 710 cap and all those other hard to find accessories-
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=index
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 12:14am
Great find Phats, a project it is but should be fun.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 9:26am
Zack,
Does this look like what was done to the engine?
Chev small block conversion

I know Reid will have more and better input!! "Glenwood" would be the Glen-L's but there were other firms making kits.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 10:06am
that had to be a fast boat at one time with that bowtie lol, nice catch
"the things you own will start to own you"
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 10:34am
I usually go to JC Whitney for all the high class bling I can get my player hands on. Just can't seem to find anything that says 710 on it. I didn't know they made V-8 engines that big.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2008 at 12:52am
Made some good progress last night and tonight. Cleaned all the trash out and pulled the rear seat fuel tank and side panels out. Then we moved onto pulling the motor and tranny and after that we pulled up the fiberglass floor. All went well. the floor is a little soft in a few places but the stringers seem solid. For now were just going to patch the floor and use it as is for a few years and do a floor/stringer job when we have more resources(ie money). There is just a little stringer rot back by the cross rear floor support as seen in the pictures but its still solid.

Pete, it doesnt have that bellhousing and that timing cover but the manifolds are simmilar. Eric the plan is for it to be fast again;).

Im looking into engine options. Im looking into the 9.5 to one compression range with an aftermarket intake and maybe a little head work with a healthy camshaft and ideas?

Heres a few progress pictures.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2008 at 1:08am
Also apparently last night my little cousin was poking around on here in the refference and found literature that said the white paint(cracking) was a 75 dollar option. It also had a stripe above the exhausts like the other stangs and larks.

Also I cant decide what color to paint the motor. I thought it would be cool to pay tribute to the universal 6 and paint the chebby off white but im not sure.
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 7:16pm
Nice project! I wish i could find a boat like that here in the netherlands!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 7:36pm
I can tell from here that you're having too much fun!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 7:39pm
what about fun?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 8:53pm
Got the motor all tore down and located a doner 350 that runs for 300 bucks to throw down in it. Wetsanded and buffed the transom and it looks beautiful. Ill throw up a few more pictures tonight.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 10:22pm
no raw water pump?
I wouldnt mind finding some of those exhaust manifolds so i dont have to raise my factory cover to clear my merc cruiser manifolds
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 10:38pm
does anyone know what is available for a performance manifold for my 5.7 vortec /skylark?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 11:27pm
I'd try GlenL if you haven't already, as they offer the header type like Phats has here.

Vortec 350 in the Skylark? Huh, that should go pretty good Peter. Before long we might be calling you Peter Peter, Mustang Eater. Somebody on this Site needs to get a GM running good.

Oh, and Phats, why not a std rotation Mopar small block for that beauty?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 11:57pm
it should go good , i am going to split my cover in half and widen it 4 inches then add to the profile along the bottom 6 inches . anything shorter than the merc exhaust would allow a shorter cover. it is a new vortec from a burned boat with 12 or so hrs . i put an edlebrock intake for a 600 holley and will use a performance distributer I did a new 71 series tranny last yr . I would like to find perfomance manifolds that will lay lower on the motor. thanks i will look into glen l
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 12:33am
Reid Id love to do that but were refering to this boat as the budget build. Id have to locate a bell housing manifolds and a marine t stat housing for it wich would be more than we want to spend on it now. Im a mopar guy but this chebbys going to run good when im done with it;) GL next year? haa. We all know it would run like a raped ape with a mopar in it

Peter, Get this it has a nice sherwood RWP but the clown that dropped this motor in it bolted it to the floor and lined it up with the pulleys on the motor Im going to have to get some plate steel and a plasma cutter and fab up some brackets to mount the RWP in the correct way.

Next topic ill start will be about the motor to see what we can get going as far as speed goes I think it might get painted off white marine to pay tribute to the Universal buick that once served between the stringers:)

heres a few pics. The transom doesnt look near as good in the picture as in person due to flash and a cheap digital camera.
70 cuda in the background.

the bent rudder:(

A frosty beer:) and the 69 coronet R/T peeking over the bow.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 12:45am
peter1234...There is a set of edelbrock manifolds on Ebay right now for a chevy, that look like they may go cheap!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 11:39am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Somebody on this Site needs to get a GM running good.

Reid,

I usually sit out the speed dicussions for two reasons. (1) not really a goal of mine as long as I have enough to foot with and (2) I'm not the least bit mechanically inclined so I can not be responsible for or take any credit for any performance enhancements to my boat.

That being said, my stock chevy moves along pretty good (assuming the speedo is even close-I've never GPS'd it) I guess the older small hulls have an advantage, but I am always seeing the threads on the quests to crack 50, with the old small hulls (with fords?) probably doing that out of the factory.

Fuzzy shot of my speedo. Since the numbers can't be made out, there is a clear picture of the speedo. Based on what I read and hear, that's not to bad for a stock set up, is it?

After LG there was some accounting going on of who beat who. I wasnt in the mix, but I bet I might have at least been in the top 10 if I had "lined it up"

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 3:37pm
yeah...dont trust your speedo!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 3:49pm
I know.   I had hoped to GPS it this fall to verify, but ran out of opportunities. We'll see in the spring. Really not sure. Tim's driven it at WOT and feels its comfortably over 50 but we'll get the data.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic