NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water behind a stringer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 16>
Author
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 1:19pm
Believe me when I say I go over this stuff in my head constantly. I have like a perpetual "Oh Sh** List" going. So far so good.
I had to refit the rear floor boards a little and was going to only coat once. I decided I need three coats on the edges and am willing to sacrifice time for peace of mind. Let me say again how much I love epoxy.

I do need to re-run my throttle and trans cables and am unsure how the controls behind the throttle work. They currently run out the rear of the control and used to be behind the carpeting. They came back, down, and through a channel where the support board was. I want them to run forward from the control and come through the bulkhead. I just do not understand the control. Can i just rotate the assembly back there and reverse the push-pull as needs to be done to change direction?

Let me know your thoughts.

M

Edit* I know you can rotate the assembly in 30* increments on the newer MV2 controls. I cannot find any documentation as of yet on the old ones.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 1:32pm
Mike, I used the MV2 manual in the reference section to put my older (MV1?) throttle back together and get the cables working properly on my Tique.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 1:37pm
Tim,

any issues doing so? I need to get new cables too, but need to run wire to determine correct length. This is one of those things I have never messed with and gets me nervous about getting right the first time.... I am sure I can figure it out, but seeking advice in advance.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 1:38pm
Mike,
You'll need longer cables to route them forward and then into the bilge. The back side of the older Morse is very similar to the MV2 but both still can be tricky. Take it apart the mininum just to get it out and then study it carefully before doing the 180 degree switch. I remember I had a friend who took one apart and then couldn't remember or figure out how to put it back together (the same way - no switching position!!) I ended up having to drive my boat over to his place, unscrewing the sub panel the Morse is mounted on so he could look at the assembly!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 1:45pm
Yup, need way longer cables. I will be happier having new ones, anyway. I take pictures of stuff that has potential to get goofed up. I will do a video even on this to show travel movement, etc.

thank guys !

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 2:15pm
Pfft, those assemblies are cake to reassemble! Just dont lose the spring ball- they can fling across the garage pretty quick if youre careless. Dont ask me how I know.

Mike, you'll want 17' control cables. CC used the same length cables for pretty much all of their direct drives- this is what I used for my Tique (forward routing). Id say to try your existing cables first- if theyre long enough and in good shape, use them. If not, try the Teleflex Xtremes from Go2Marine. Dont forget the pivots (you'll need 2 or 3) and ball joints for the carb (and optionally the tranny). My pivots were all pretty shot.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 2:33pm
I would think I would want the trans longer than the throttle, wouldn't I?
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I would think I would want the trans longer than the throttle, wouldn't I?

Nope! Trans cable gets routed up and over the engine. Throttle cable gets routed under and around.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 12:58am
I have the installation and operation instructions for the MV control if anyone needs them.I suppose I should send them to Keith so he can put them in the reference section also. It dosen't look much different except for no safety interlock, and the highlighted lawyerese safety cautions.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 3:16am
I would love to see the MV control installation manual at this point. My brother and I spent a good amount of time tonight and got the new cables re-routed. We are stuck on the back of the throttle control. Due to reversing the plate, the cables are out of whack. The cables have a point on the plate that they need to be secured to, but reversing it left the throttle cable an inch too long, and the shifter cable short by 1.5 to 2 inches. How do you reconcile this? I think if you reversed the securing points they would bind up. Please heeeelp.

Throttle cable too long

Shifter cable too short

Combined

secured to backing plate

On a better note, I got my kickboard cut out and nearly ready to epoxy. And I got my lame steering wheel removed. Hopefully for good. I removed the helm and am going to get that powder coated. Sure wish I would have done this stuff before I painted everything. Just dumb....
Mike N

1968 Mustang

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 10:11am
Mike, most of what I remember about the morse is that it's tricky. I'll look a bit later to see what orientation the arms are in on mine.

FWIW-those barrel fittings will eventually cut themselves off
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 10:20am
Mine is pre MV2.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 10:32am
Mike,
Off hand, it looks like the throttle cables barrel attachment should be in the clip (like the shift) and not the clamp where you have it. The arm off the control also looks like it shound be attached to the center square 90 degrees from where you have it.

On the shift, have you tried to index or flip the arm off the control?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 10:51am
Mine is also pre mv2. The tranny arm is vertical on the back of the button and the throttle is pointing forward in neutral on the back of the lever. The throttle cable is mounted in a C-shaped anchor and is spring loaded.

Hope that helps some.
1988 BFN-sold

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 10:55am
Mike I think I had the same problem.My control was put in by a PO,they had the cables running to the back and down the side of the boat.I wanted them to the front also. I did this so long ago it's hard to remember but I will look tonight.I think I ended up making a new mounting plate and modifying the arms
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 10:56am
Do you have the other ends of the cables anchored? The spring mount will take up some slack and may need a dab of grease. Looks like you have it close!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 12:46pm
We got to this point fairly late in the evening and called it for the day.
This is a reverse of how it was mounted in the original position. Definitely will mess around with it some more. I thought of staggering the trans arm as it has a variety of positions, but Joe seemed to think that was going to goof up the throw. The throttle may well work on the lower clip if I extend the barrel. Greg, I had one cut itself off on my 90SN at a very inopportune time. Keep the suggestions coming, I really want to make this throttle work, and I am not going to run the cables backwards again. I put my floor down to end the temptation even. I guess worst case I can get an MV2. If I understand the manual correctly after briefly looking at it, it will work either way and makes up for this issue.

thanks guys !
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Mike I think I had the same problem.My control was put in by a PO,they had the cables running to the back and down the side of the boat.

Gary, FYI- routing the cables towards the rear and down the side would have been the stock configuration. CC changed to the front routing sometime in the early to mid 70's. My '71 Skier:

Mike, you really need to read the MV2 manual that I linked to in the reference section. It explains everything. My Tique has the same exact throttle that you have- I completely disassembled it, reassembled it, and routed the cables (towards the front) from scratch using that manual as a guide. Everything you need to know is in there- the only thing special about the MV2 that Im aware is the neutral lockout collar and a slightly different plastic housing- the mechanicals are almost exactly the same.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 2:02pm
Tim,

I have been reading it over and over all morning. We got to this point and said it was time to stop for the evening. I am going to give it a go again tonight. Without it being in front of me, I do not get how this is going to adjust enough to aloow it. We'll see.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 2:17pm
Mike, you realize that where the cable collar that secures to the mechanism is attached to the jacket, right? The ends slide in and out. Or are you implying that the cable is at the end of its travel?

At least one of your pivots looks to be in pretty tough shape- Id replace the ones that are worn.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 2:30pm

Greg, I had one cut itself off on my 90SN at a very inopportune time.

Funny how that works; never at the dock...and usually right after the invitations go out!

This reminds me of something I was thinking about a few weeks ago. I was thinking about what I should bring to the river-parts and tools type stuff. There's been a thread or two on this, but a 'double thread' would be cool. What I mean is a thread on what to have with you in the event of a less than perfect day, and an adjacent master list that only the moderators add to. 1 to debate or add ideas to, and 1 as a sticky that is the agreed upon list.

Or just a single thread done the way the river trip people and supplies list is going. A key would to name it so it could be found a few years down the road. Who's going to go looking for a stringer thread by entering pumpkin in the search?!!?

Sorry for the jack Mike. If this makes any sense, someone start a thread.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Funny how that works; never at the dock...and usually right after the invitations go out!

This reminds me of something I was thinking about a few weeks ago. I was thinking about what I should bring to the river-parts and tools type stuff.

Greg,
Considering your problems with the big block, Maybe you need to tow a barge with all your tools and parts on it???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Gary, FYI- routing the cables towards the rear and down the side would have been the stock configuration. CC changed to the front routing sometime in the early to mid 70's.

You got me there Tim, but mine had the center consol. Maybe he had a dealer do it or thats the way Morse said to do it. Either way they sure hacked up the fiberglass pan
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 9:19pm
[QUOTE=BuffaloBFN]
What I mean is a thread on what to have with you in the event of a less than perfect day, and an adjacent master list that only the moderators add to. the search?!!?
QUOTE]
Here's what you need to do Greg,Help Correct Craft thru these hard times,buy a spare boat
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2009 at 1:29am
Well, everything is back in order. I spent 2 hours messing around with this thing tonight. I referred to the MV2 manual a number of times. It could well be me, but running the cables out the front on this damned thing is not happening. Pete, I did consider what you mean about the throttle being in the clip, but that cable has to be in the middle because is sits clamped in a spring loaded pivot. The cable needs to pivot there due to how the throttle works. I noticed that this was reversible which when turned gave about half an inch, or took rather. I tried every concievable way to try and hook this thing up that way. In the end, I pulled the cables out of the vent tube, ran through my cable PVC, and put the throttle plate back the way it was. I brought the cables past the plate a couple feet, and made a U turn forwards to the plate as it was originally hooked up and functioning perfectly. The cables also stay up under the gunnel so there i snothing showing, either. I got this done and all hooked up in 15 minutes. I know some of you may naysay about this method. After messing with this for nearly ten man hours, I do not care. It is done. There is no bind in the cables and the throttle and linkages are perfectly smooth. Smoother than before, in fact. I simply could not take it any more. I agree with Tim that the MV2 would probably not be any better after having looked at the manual 500 times.
I would be very interested to see diagrammed how this is possible to run both forward and have the cables function from the front end of the motor. Perhaps I would entertain changing it at that point. What a total PITA.

Thanks for listening to me vent. I mostly have fun stuff after this.

Mike

PS: Gary, don't forget, I have that floor pan here for you.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2009 at 1:50am
Id have to play with it in person Mike, but maybe what you were trying to do just wasnt possible. Perhaps if you want to run the cables forwards, you have to route the throttle cable under the engine and back around. It may not do you any good now, but just a thought.

I have to say that Im surprised that you got the cables to work smoothly with a U-turn in them... I had a hell of a time getting them working smooth with no tight bends to speak of! Well done, sir. What types of cables did you buy?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2009 at 2:18am
Thanks Mike. I ended up running my throttle under the engine and then up and my trans over the engine to the back after I made the new plate that the cables mount to at the shifter
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2009 at 9:27am
I got regular Teleflex cables. That was all anyone had locally. At the very least if I ever have any problem they are a snap to change. I do need to get new barrel pivots, but no one had them in stock. I was surprised also that they were smooth and free. Still better than my old ones. I tested them both prior to hooking them up thinking it would not work. The U-turn is a couple feet back from the control and is probably a 7-8" radius. On to funner stuff.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 12:40pm

Originally posted by nautiless nautiless wrote:

I thought of printing my thread and laminating it, then pouring it into the foam. Perhaps you may do the same. If i review your quality of work, i can imagine some bloke dusting of your hull in sedimentary rock in 3033 and it appearing on some documentary

I like that idea too. But it owuld have to be incomplete, right? That dude in 3033 is going to be scratching his head a bit...

Congrats on your baby girl coming home !! Everything ok? Just a little early?

edit: I do not get why quoted segments do this sometimes....

edit# 2:   OK, now i get it....

Wake:

Thanks for asking. All is good. We are truly blessed as she is well at 7 weeks premature.
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 2:33pm
Great to hear Donovan !!

You mentioned in your thread about seeking advice about daughters someday.
Yeah, seriously dude, at 14, mine is like an alien sometimes. She is a great kid! Love her to death! Who is this person living in my house? What is even more fun is that my 16 year old son and her collude. They are best friends. And allies. And co-conspirators. And .... well, I could go on.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 16>
  Share Topic