Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Check Engine Light on/sputtering

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
austinjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Check Engine Light on/sputtering
    Posted: November-04-2008 at 6:04pm
2001 Sport Nautique/GT40, engine light came on, first only at idle, then at ski speeds, then boat started missing/sputtering at anything over 2500rpm. Oil is fine, temp is fine, strainer is clear.
Anything I can check or is this a dealer issue?
Thanks.
JoeD/Austin
robc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 7:48am
having same prob .have any answers yet?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 11:43am
dont start to guess it will only cost you more money, have it scanned
"the things you own will start to own you"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 12:07pm
is it possible thaty one of you guys could take a picture of where the scanner would plug in, i would like to know if it is a OBD11 port
"the things you own will start to own you"
robc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 4:26pm
i am not shaw where this is.it got hot last weekend when i flused it. had to change the impeller .
crlvideo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crlvideo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2011 at 9:14pm
Hi guys...having the EXACT same problem with our 97 Ski Nautique. Any suggestions or resolutions would be GREATLY appreciated!

crlvideo@gmail.com

Thanks!
Chris Lavigne
Rhode Island
marrywxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marrywxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 8:30am
Professional Plus 2010black Coach shoeshow much is a coach walletOffice Home and Student 2010I am glad I found this site, it is the correct information, I have been looking for!A very valuable resource and great addition to my favorites. In this connection, by
theend of these new features will certainly contribute to social sharing and more rapid progress.   
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 12:37pm
Sounds like the oil pressure switch or the temp switch has gone bad. You can disconnect them one at a time to locate which one. Do you have a GT-40 service manual?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 12:47pm
Looks like our ship is taking on spam...

Do these have a traditional scanner connection port the way a car does? Ski dim has a basic device they call a "Winky Blinky" but it looks like it's only for GM based engines.

We do have a ProBoss GT-40 Manual in the reference section.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 1:07pm
I have a good idea you will not need a scanner. Their is a circut on all EFI pcm motors that will cause th motor to go into "Limp Mode" "Power Reduction" or what ever one wants to call it. This circut is also wired into the light on the check engine light on the dash. Look where the the bundle of wires on the motor runs down to the oil pressure sending unit, their are two wires a blue/white and a brown the blue with white tracer goes to the sending unit and brown goes to a pressure switch unhook this wire(The Brown) on the "switch". see if this eliminates yor problem. "ALSO" this circut goes too a water temp "Switch" however the temp switch are not known to fail where as the oil switchs are very prone to failure. If this does not improve your situation then we move on to the next phase. Also check all your power and ground circuts (wires) and make sure they are clean and tight.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
parroja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parroja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2014 at 11:14pm
Adding to the prior post which was excellent. My boat is a 2000 Sport Nautique with the GT40 PCM EFI engine. I got the check engine light, and what I thought was a high speed miss. Turns out it was the oil pressure switch referenced above. A few more details: The oil pressure switch is located on the passenger side of the boat, just forward of the oil filter. It is on a "T" fitting, the oil pressure sending unit for the gauge is on the end, and it's bigger than the pressure switch. The oil pressure switch is on the side of the "T". This switch goes bad and then the engine light comes on and the engine RPMs are limited. When you disconnect the switch, or replace it with a new one, the check engine light goes out. You do not need a scan tool.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2014 at 12:46am
That's good info. I'm going to add a link to this thread from the GT-40 Thread.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2014 at 12:54am
Originally posted by parroja parroja wrote:

The oil pressure switch is located on the passenger side of the boat

Jason,
Do you mean the port side?

Welcome to CCfan.
How about some pictures? We love them!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2014 at 2:12am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jason,
Do you mean the port side?

No Pete he meant the copilot side
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic