Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CC Trailer back from the ugly

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CC Trailer back from the ugly
    Posted: November-04-2008 at 11:11pm

I got this trailer with my Mustang17 and as you can see it was pretty rough. I had another trailer to use so this one got parked out back for the summer. When I realized we were going to make the reunion at Lake George I figured it would be a good excuse to get this trailer back in shape.I also wanted to add a winch as I had gotten used to having one with the other trailer.I had to spend some long nights the week of the reunion(nothing like waiting til the last minute) but I am very pleased with the way it came out.
This is what it looked like when I started.

This is the winch I used.I cut it down and welded the plates to the bottom to sandwich the base to the trailer.(I stole the mounting idea from someone's post on trailer winches but I've forgotten who it was now)

I had to do some creative bracing to keep the bunks aligned with the sides of the trailer.

Here's how the winch looks mounted on the trailer.

And I just realized I don't have a picture of the finished product.I'll post it when I find one.   Farmer
Watch your fingers.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2008 at 11:32pm
Looks pretty sweet gary
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2008 at 11:33pm

Thanks
Watch your fingers.

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2008 at 11:42pm
I like it . Is it ok if I use it ?
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2008 at 11:52pm

Pat,you could use it if it weren't for that boat sitting on it.   Farmer
Watch your fingers.

Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2008 at 11:57pm
Farmer,

What kind od hardware did you use to mount the bunks to the trailer? Also did you wrap the bunks in carpet then finaly install?

Sam
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 12:17am
Farmer - Nice work - you did all that with just those 2 beers?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 12:29am
I mounted the bunks with galvanized carriage bolts,recessed into the bunk so the head is below the surface.I thought I would have to mount the wood and then remove it to attach the carpet but the 6 inch width of carpet just made it around the bunk without going past the trailer side.
I may have had a few more beers than what you see in that picture. I know I made a lot of trips behind the fence so as not to wake my wife in the "wee" hours of the morning.(get it? "wee" hours?)Anyway,maybe now would be a good time to stop drinking before I say something stupid. Farmer
Watch your fingers.

The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 1:41am
Very nice job, I enjoy watching all the hard work everyone puts into a project.

Again thats what makes this site transform old to new. Great Job!!!   
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 12:01pm
Gary, I did my Tique trailer this spring/summer- so that looks familiar! Did you blast and spray it yourself? It looks great. Did you just tape off the VIN tag and Correct Craft sticker?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 12:40pm
Whats with the zinc plated bolt on your winch hold down....????

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 9:04pm

I blasted the fenders and smaller pieces at work.The winch,front bars,jackand fenders were painted by a friend in his booth.The frame was painted with a brush by me.I used one of those layered sandpaper wheels in my 4 inch grinder to remove all the loose paint and rust.I taped off the sticker and vin tag before I started sanding.I checked on sandblasting but the guy wanted $350.Too much and no time.
All the bolts were a last day trip by my father to the hardware store.We had to take what would work at the time. What's wrong with a zinc plated bolt,anyway ?? Farmer
Watch your fingers.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 8:06am
Originally posted by farmer farmer wrote:

What's wrong with a zinc plated bolt,anyway ?? Farmer

I'm not sure if Tim's question was asking why you didn't use stainless or rather what is the bolt for.

When I restored my 55 Tee Nee trailer, I thought about stainless fasteners (briefly) but went with zinc plated. Stainless wouldn't look very original would they!!!

Regarding fastener type for bolting on the wood bunks I'm not a big fan of carriage bolts. When the wood gets old and wet, removing them can be a issue when the square section of the shank spins in the wood. I've had to bust off the wood to get vise grips on the bolt or even cut the bolts off. I prefer using a hex head set into a counterbore in the wood bunks. Also, use locking type nuts (not lock washers) As the wood swells and shrinks with getting wet and then drying out, without the locking nuts the fasteners will loosen. I've been there!!

Gary, Nice job on the trailer. It really doesn't look brushed. What kind of paint did you use?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 3:02pm
It does look nice. Since farmer and I are so close, I think I might drop mine off with him to be refinished. ;)
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 4:59pm
That looks awesome! Lets see the boat on the trailer!
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 11:28pm

Pete,the bolts that were on there were not that hard to remove. I was able to break off most of them. The others I cut with a sawzall.If you're replacing the bunks, the bolts are shot anyway so no biggie.
The paint was a single stage Dupont paint. It leveled out pretty well. The thing that surprised me was how much different the sprayed pieces looked from the parts I painted with the brush.The sprayed parts were were much lighter.All in all,it came out better than I expected.
Mark,my own brother wouldn't try that crap
As far as a picture,it's going to have to be trailer with boat. I didn't get a picture when I finished the trailer.
Watch your fingers.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 1:19am
Mark: You back home? Go ok in Tampa?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 11:37am
I am still here in Tampa as of this morning. I will be leaving here at 1:00 to catch my flight. Everything went well and all were happy with my database design.

Thanks again John, and I hope to hook up with you guys again someday.

Mark
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 9:24pm

There is a picture of the boat on the trailer in the slide show of the NE reunion. It's slide 25.
The slide show is great by the way.It shows the good time we had.
Watch your fingers.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic