Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Filling up w/ gas

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Filling up w/ gas
    Posted: November-05-2008 at 1:22pm
I've pondered this for awhile but never asked the question.

When adding gas, how do you keep from overfilling and causing gas to come out of the tank vent?

Maybe it's just me, my boat, or I'm doing something wrong.

I always add gas using portable containers and usually just don't top it off or try to listen and sometimes I can hear when it's almost full.

Maybe I'm missing something?

This really isn't important until we get some rain anyway. The lake is down 20 ft now and trees are starting to stick up in various places. No way I'm going to risk it! Unfortunately, the level is going down about 1 ft/week. The drought is really bad here!

Matt
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 1:47pm
Get yourself one of these then just sit back and watch it fill nice and slow when it gets close to the top stop the flow.
Takes a few extra minutes to fill up but keeps the gas in the tanks and your back happy.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 1:51pm
Given the price of gas last summer, I never had that problem.

Looks like it might not be so bad next summer....unless the new administration...oh, never mind, that's another thread.

Sorry, I wasn't a very big help. Just an observation. Too bad our vents arent fitted with whistles like home fuel oil tanks. That would be the perfect fix.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 4:01pm
Matt,
The height of the tank in relationship to the vent outlets in the 70's hulls doesn't leave much room for error. Some have replaced the vent hose with a longer length allowing it to be coiled into a additional 360 degree loop under the deck. Get it up as high as possible under the aft deck. There are usually some long bolts from other deck hardware sticking down you can use for fastening the hose.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 4:06pm
I just turn the ignition on and watch the gauge, its perfect, 1986 2001.

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 7:03pm
I never fill more that 1/2 a tank. Who needs the extra weight back there. ;)
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 8:07pm
Joe is right, the jiggler from Harbor Freight works great. I have 3 (gas at GL and Home and one just for the kids aquarium).
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 8:10pm
Isn't there a tank vent fuel/air separator or check valve available? I thought someone posted a unused one for sale a few months ago. I'd like to put one in because my hull is staining like the stanky beard of a Schnauzer.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 8:38pm
The line with the check valve goes to the fuel pump and would not have an effect on overflowing the tank. There is a separate vent tube that goes to the transom (bent 90 degree tube), then of course the hole to the deck to fill. The other big hole is the float for the gas gauge I'm assuming.

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 8:47pm
Those jigglers are great. I use them all the time. One on the dock for the boats, one in the shop for bikes, mowers, etc. I have given them as token gifts too. I have a friend that uses one to drain the cover on his pontoon after a good rainstorm.
They are a must have.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 8:48pm
Come on HW, try to keep up.

I believe DavidF sold one of these air/fuel seperators that SkiDIM carries.

"THIS KIT INSTALLS IN THE GAS TANK VENT HOSE AND ELIMINATES GAS SPEWING OUT OF THE VENT DURING FILL-UPS."
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 8:54pm
Steve/Tim/CCFan, my apologies. Speed reading thinking I saw WATER/fuel separator. I've never heard of an AIR/fuel separator. I do know that is a gay tank I posted though.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 8:55pm
I hear you HW. This is the part I was thinking about.

Vent Air Fuel Seperator

Edit-Doh, you beat me to it, Tim.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 9:26pm
I have the same issue with my X55 so I bought one of the vent air/fuel separators several years ago with the intent of installing. The problem I ran into is it must be mounted vertical (within 60 degrees) between the top of the tank and the vent. There's not enough vertical height and now the same would hold true on my Tique. I would assume the same for a Nautique. (70's hulls)

4 more feet of 5/8 hose is allot cheaper too!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 10:34pm
I boutght a couple of these and it makes filling much easier. I love them for the boat. I absolutely hate them for the race car!

Fuel jug.

These have a valve in the cap with a disk just below it. All you do is flip the jug and place the disk on the top of the filler. The weight of the fuel pushes down on the spring loaded valve causing it to open. In other words no more holding the jug while the fuel runs out and no more spilling fuel trying to get the hose in the filler while tilting the jug. With this jug I don't get a drop of gas on my hand or on top of the hull!

Looks like there's not a real good way to keep the tank from overflowing at full!

Matt
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Brktracer Brktracer wrote:

Looks like there's not a real good way to keep the tank from overflowing at full!
Matt

Matt, Adding the extra length of vent hose and fastening it directly under the aft dect will give you about 3" extra over the factory install. I can't remember who here did it with great results. I haven't done it to my Tique but am always carefull with the fill level.

I have one of the wheeled gas totes that I equipped with a 50' length of fuel rated poly tubing and connect it to the tote with cam lock couplings. The tote stays on the top of my hill to the lake/pier and I gravity fill my boats. With the valve on the end of the hose, the fill level is easily controlled. I do however know this is a luxury compared to filling from gas cans.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 9:08am
I use a funnel that my grandfather bought years ago. It has ~12" opening and 10" sides...even works in rough water. It must amplify the splash somewhat because I can hear when it's close to full.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 7:53pm
I put a paper towel from the gas station on my swim platform. As soon as gas comes out of the overflow valve and on to the paper towel, I stop pumping :) i then use the paper towel to clean up any excess fuel, toss it in the gas station trash and I'm on my way.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 10:40pm
I also use a siphon tube. Absolutely love it. Got mine at Gander Mtn. 6 bucks
I can load gear while gassing the boat up. Don't have to stand there and hold a heavy gas can.
as far as overfilling goes,I always know what the gauge reads before I start filling.
I'll only add 5 to 10 gallons every time I go out and never have to worry about running out.
-Steve the Pirate
86 Barefoot Nautique

Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic