NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 50>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1955 CC Hurricane Restoration
    Posted: November-09-2008 at 10:06pm
Well, the Hurricane has found a new home. We headed out friday morning arriving in Birmingham around 5pm, checked out the boat and what we we're in for to get it out and on the trailer then headed for a good night sleep after the 700 mile drive.

Got back to the boat at 7:30 am saturday and after 5 hours we were loaded and ready to start the trip home. Here's a collection of photos from the weekend.

I really need to thank a bunch of people to make this happen, Kurt and Kevin for loaning me a trailer, Pete for finding the boat and David Taylor for scoping it out and sending us pictures before the trip. Once again the memebers of this site come through with flying colors.

Obviously the boat needs alot of work but it is a "complete" boat that came with so many extras, every piece of hardware has been rechromed, new fuel tank, new prop shaft, reconditioned prop, new glass for the windshield, mahogony ply and solid planks to for repairs, two rebuilt carbs, the list goes on and on. We couldn't happier and will post picts as we progress.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 10:11pm
Too cool!
Congrats on the new boat Alan!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 10:32pm
Looks great Alan, glad you had a safe trip
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 10:39pm
If you need a spare pair of paws, give me a yell. I'd love to help on something like that.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 10:44pm
Alan, I think you need to take another look at the priorities on your "to do" list!! Forget about the garage door!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 10:45pm
Alan,

Given what your 81 looks like, this Hurricane has found a great home. I can only imagine the calibre of restoration it is going to see. Its going to be a show stopper. Good luck with the project. Looking forward to seeing the final product.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 11:20pm
What can be said, awesome boat going to the right place.. Thats nice...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 11:21pm
Alan that boat looks great . It apears to be in very good condition . Are you keeping it at the house ? Cant wait to see it .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 11:42pm
That is amazing. Congratulations!! Cannot wait to see more.

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 12:04am
Looks like a really great project Alan. I kinda still wish I still lived in Chicago so that I could stop by and help some.
Please keep us posted with pictures..
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 12:41am
Congrats Alan. I can't wait to see how it will turn out. I'm sure there will be no disappointments.

Rob
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 12:57am
Alan, man what a nice looking boat. I am sure the boat will get the care it deserves.

BTW, the decal looks great on your ride. (hehe)
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 1:06am
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

I kinda still wish I still lived in Chicago so that I could stop by and help some.

Well I don't wish I lived there..hear it snows..but I wish I was closer so I could stop over, drink some of your beer and watch.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 2:19am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Well I don't wish I lived there..hear it snows..but I wish I was closer so I could stop over, drink some of your beer and watch.

john

It really dosen't snow here,we just tell everyone that so it's not so crowded here all year-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 2:24am
Heard it was snowing there during the Bears game.

I know it is crowded there but for the life of me can't figure out why.

You planning on visiting Dad down here? If so better figure on stopping here.

Stay warm and dry tomorrow!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 2:47am
Money John,why else would someone be here? Dad hasn't even left yet.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 3:25am
Of course money...the reason I stayed where I was for so long. The money was good. But don't really miss it that much.
I am remembering right aren't I...he does go south at some point?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 10:42am
That boat looks in good shape considering its age & construction.
It will definitely be a show stopper once you complete your restoration.

Your 81 & trailer give us and insight into your attention for detail. This boat has found it's dream home.

Looks looks like it was logistically planed with military precision. Tow vehicle & trailer U-haul truck with engine crane & boat dolly's that was some road trip.

P.S. It included a canopy as well. We call them bimini's in Aus. Now that's one for us. Not as bad as calling bread rolls biscuits though.

Great pickup we will need a Pumpkin patch style resto thread on this one.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 12:01pm
Pat, The boat is in my warehouse in Warrenville, anybody wants to stop by give me a call anytime.

Godfather, Good Eye on the Decals, they look perfect up there. Thank you

Lewy2001, I was ready for the worst but this boat is in amazingly good condition structurally, there are some repairs needed but very little wood will need replacing. It is a dream project for a first time wood restorer.

The planning was intense and executed brilliantly with my wifes help, that's her in the uhaul. Those dolly's and the engine hoist came with the boat!!! I also was handed a 1" think folder with receipts, old literature, and a spread sheet that the seller had made of every single item board for board that needed to be done to the boat. This was not his first boat restoration but his health stopped him on it. Every piece of hardware on the boat has been rechromed and there is a receipt in the folder for $1560 for it.

We felt a little bad taking it out of there but in the end I think the owners were happy to see it on it's way to being restored than collecting dust. Very nice people and they even called us on our way home to see how we were doing. We probably could have spent hours talking but the clock was ticking on the drive home.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 3:44pm
Magic,
What an awesome boat.. Let's crack a few beers over it when you have time. Love to see what your plans are for her.. Oh, and you really did marry a saint, you know that??

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 10:05pm
Great boat, know you will bring her back to life.
Look forward to see the updates as she rebuilt.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 2:21am
That 327 is far more complete and original than mine. You have a good starting point with it. I'll copy the manual and send it on its way.

Take a pic of the chrome bits when you get the chance. I'd like to see what was on the boat.

It will be a real treat to see this brought back to life.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 10:13am
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

That 327 is far more complete and original than mine. You have a good starting point with it. I'll copy the manual and send it on its way.

Take a pic of the chrome bits when you get the chance. I'd like to see what was on the boat.

It will be a real treat to see this brought back to life.

Steve No need for the manual, the boat came with a complete one. I'm going to start unpacking all the chrome tonight and get a few pics. I keep finding more stuff the seller threw in like brand new dock bumpers, dock lines, prop puller, stuffing wrench, 2 gallons of epoxy, it's like Christmas.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 10:34am
talk about getting some wood, she's a beauty and i stress "a beauty"
"the things you own will start to own you"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 11:18am
That's sweet. I see it has the "Euro Transom" . Must've been the inspiration for the 90-96 Ski Nautiques.

The brand name on the strap webbing says it all.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 11:19am
Oh, and the kicker- the license plate is still the original license plate from when Kurt and Kevin actually bought the 88 many years ago. Hilarious.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 11:39am
Joel,
The "Euro transom" is actually a means of getting the rudder way aft with the engine moved aft without having to use a V drive. (Chris Craft used the same technique) The basic hull frame I believe is common with the Commuter because it has the same beam. Same hull frame with slight mods to the transom frame. Kicking the transom out gives the Hurricane 5" of extra length. Different decking and hull paint scheme and the Hurricane.

Allen,
Did you get any indication as to what the original engine was? I have a feeling that because the Hurricane was a premium anniversary boat that CC would have dropped in what was considered a premium engine back then - A Chysler 6 rather than a normal Gray 6.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 11:44am
Alan, Looks like a great boat. I can't wait to see it. We were both up to the same thing this past week end.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 11:58am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Oh, and the kicker- the license plate is still the original license plate from when Kurt and Kevin actually bought the 88 many years ago. Hilarious.

Joel, I noticed that when the seller said " I thought you came from Chicago?" took me a minute to figure out what he was talking about. Figured if we got stopped I'd just tell the officer we just bought the boat AND trailer and maybe get by with it.

The seller who is an ex Coast guardsman got a huge laugh when he saw the "NO Jap ***************" sticker on the trailer!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 12:10pm
Pete, No indication as to the original power. The 1955 price sheet is pretty extensive but the Hurricane is not on it so it must have been a very limited production model.

Do you think it's a little ironic that we have a 20th Anniversary Nautique and now a 30Th Anniversary Correct Craft with "Cyclonicolor Styling" Funny how things work out sometimes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 50>
  Share Topic