NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 50>
Author
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

36 tubes of rubber and 2100 screws and I have the tunnel to prove it! towards the end of first day my hands cramped to the point where I couldn't squeeze.   Enjoy and thanks for the encouragement.

So how's Dana holding up?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Dana....oh she left six months ago.

OK...I'm kidding. She is obviously a saint and a true-blue CCFan.

EDIT: DOH!!! too early in the morning for my mind to be in the gutter. Thanks for clarifying skicat.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 2:04pm
Reid, I think she said he exaggerated that number a little. Hollywood couldn't even keep up with that!!!!
Greg

86 BFN
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

36 tubes of rubber and 2100 screws and I have the tunnel to prove it! towards the end of first day my hands cramped to the point where I couldn't squeeze.   Enjoy and thanks for the encouragement.

It's not her I'm worried about!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 12:05am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

All I can say is......WOW
john

What else could possibly be said?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2010 at 1:02pm
Ok back on topic, I started grinding her bottom anticipating flipping her over!    No that's not gonna work.

Started shaping the new hull today, used an 8" soft pad and some very agressive 3m green discs on a Milwaukee grinder. Man to these things cut and they last foreever. Pretty expensive sandpaper but worth every penny.

Piles of dust inches deep!

Are those your good work jeans? Busted, It's just a little dust honey!

She's finally looking sexy again.

Need to put some finishing touches on the sanding today, then hopefully I'll get the screw holes filled and smoothed down. Hope to have it completely cpes'd within a day or so.

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2010 at 1:26pm
How long did you sit and look at it after the day was called?

And wow, it almost looks bookmatched. 2 points on the forethought!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2010 at 2:24pm
Alan, that look's fantastic.

Nice pause on the first sentence, although it was at least as thought provoking as your actual project.

I cannot wait to see this boat in person again.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2010 at 3:03pm
Mike - you took the wind out of Hollywood's sails on that sentence catch!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2010 at 3:28pm
Wow is all I can say! I have never see anyone get such a nice concave surface up front like you have. Artistic feel with the grinder!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2010 at 3:45pm
Beautiful work Alan
Thanks for giving me my "fix" of the much anticated pictures.
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2010 at 3:50pm
Sorry guys. Tried to say "much anticipated" on the above.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2010 at 6:29pm
Looking good Alan! Just curious but have you kept a log of how many man hours you're putting in this thing?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2010 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

How long did you sit and look at it after the day was called?

And wow, it almost looks bookmatched. 2 points on the forethought!

2 beers Greg, it is bookmatched the best I could. all the planks came from resawn 5/4 stock so I just took the sets and split them for each side.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Wow is all I can say! I have never see anyone get such a nice concave surface up front like you have. Artistic feel with the grinder!!

Thanks Pete, Means a lot coming from you. The 3m 1" thick soft backer pad is the secret Pete, you can really carve with that thing..
The 3m Green paper cuts like razors. Pretty easy job but that grinder gets a little heavy after 8 hours.

Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Looking good Alan! Just curious but have you kept a log of how many man hours you're putting in this thing?

Tim, I'm keeping a spreadsheet of materials but I purposely decided at the beginning I wasn't going to keep track of hours. I don't want to hang a pricetag on my hourly value at the end of this thing.

Mike/Jim, thanks for the compliments guys.

I'm done for the day, one side screw holes are filled with famowood, gonna try to stay on this after work all week and finish this up by the weekend.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2010 at 1:17am
WOW....

No white stuff outside your garage doors either.

This thread "makes" my Sunday night Alan..thanks.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2010 at 5:05pm
Very impressive!

I look forward to your progress every week too. I can't wait to see this when it's all done.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 2:51pm
Wow the work you are doing is soooo nice !!
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 9:12pm
Alan

When you get that finished, you'll have to take the summer and do the antique boat show circuit. There are some nice ones here in NY.

Looks great!

David
86 Martinique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 12:30am
Filled all the screw holes with famowood and got a final long board sanding done.

Then 2 coats of cpes, hate to cover it up with paint!

Still hope to get a little more time on this in the next few weeks as I'd like to get the bottom transom plank on so I can finish shaping the tail of the boat and trim off those end pieces. Just won't feel like the bottoms done until I do.
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 12:39am
You are right Alan.....looks to nice for paint.
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 1:23am
Do you have to paint bottom? Is that just to be period correct? what a beautiful job , you should be proud. Thanks for sharing. Jeff
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 9:14am
Alan, what size pad are you using and is it hook and loop or self stick?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 9:42am
who was the guy with the long voice, "
loooooking good"'
will red velvet ropes and do not touch signs be involved?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 10:38am
Jeff... Bottom will get 4 coats of barrier coat and 2 coats of paint. Has to be protected from the moisture or it won't last. No one sees it anyway but the fish!

Tim...8" PSA on that soft backer pad I showed earlier.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 11:33am
Okay, guys throw the 6" green 40, purple 80 grit paper away like wild fire and I save the stuff for personnal use. I was gonna send you a care package.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 11:36am
Tim,
Sounds like the 3M guy has been around! Are you going to let us in on the specs?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 11:46am

Are you going to let us in on the specs?

Not sure what specs you want?

Yes, the 3M rep stops by every so often to see if there is anything he can for do for me( well the shop). I've even got meet Jim Bob Harris (3M rep) who was DB for UA and a All American back in the late 70's early 80's. The guy still looks like he could suit up and knock you into next week.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 11:59am

Okay, guys throw the 6" green 40, purple 80 grit paper away like wild fire and I save the stuff for personnal use. I was gonna send you a care package.

Thanks for the thought Tim. The 3m disks are incredible, I used 6 disks for the entire bottom of the boat, they really hold up.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 12:13pm
Let me know if I can help you out with anything Alan. We've got 180 too.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 1:44pm

Are you going to let us in on the specs?

Not sure what specs you want?

Just the 3M type or series of discs/abrasive that works so well. It's not the blue/purple zirconia alumina???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 50>
  Share Topic