NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2122232425 50>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2012 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Thats what I thought Pete.As much as Correct Craft,Chris Craft,Higgins,etc loved boats they were in business to make money and I didn't think they could take that amount of time sanding and varnishing. I enjoy Alan's thread,I think all of us are learning something,and like all the rest of you can't wait to see and hear it when he's done.

Gary,
The same holds true with the early glass hulls. You know that having done all that work to bring your's back to show material!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2012 at 9:29pm
They were production boats in their time, not pieces of art, although today they deserve to be treated as art. Amazing job, Alan!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2012 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The same holds true with the early glass hulls. You know that having done all that work to bring your's back to show material!!

Yes but I'm just a hobbyist I'm just thinking about the original build process and all the skilled labor that was needed.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2012 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

They were production boats in their time, not pieces of art, although today they deserve to be treated as art.   

Bruce,
Well stated.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 12:14pm
man, the shape of that transom is just beautiful to me.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 12:19pm
Alan,
Look's good from this side of my monitor - I can't see a glue line!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 12:30pm

Alan,
Look's good from this side of my monitor - I can't see a glue line!

Yep barely visible Pete.

Question for you, would you fasten the forward spray rails with screws or bolts through the chine? I'm going to 5200 and I think some 3" screws would be fine but asking a pro first doesn't hurt.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Beautiful Alan. Now I need a history lesson from Pete. I understand Alan's pencil lines and the block sanding,much like prepping a steel surface for paint. But did wood boat builders back in the day do that or was it just a quick once over and out the door she went? I suppose it depended on the "price" of the boat also.

Gary, I follow a few other wood boat sites and a professional shop would put 3-4 guys on a boat this size and fair and sand it in 1-2 days, start to finish. If it's 4 guys that's 64 hours and that's just about what I have into it for sanding now. In a few books about Chris Craft that I've read there are actually shop works orders that stated "Boat Show Finish" meaning the boat was going to be on display and needed extra attention to detail. So yes they were for the most part mass produced.

My thinking on the finish is being a novice I don't know when enough is enough and I would rather spend more time on it now than look at it after varnish and say I should have done this or that to make it better. I'm not trying to impress anyone and I don't intend to show the boat but I want to be true to myself and know that I did my best then I'll be happy no matter how it turns out. I will probably go back and sand that transom again even though yesterday I said it was done! LOL
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 1:08pm
Alan,
The screws into chines, stem or frames and the 5200 will be fine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 3:35pm
Enough is too much when screws begin to re-appear.

I'd probably install all the spray rails before stain.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Enough is too much when screws begin to re-appear.

Yeah I figured that one out already But atleast I've got the technique of repairing them down pat.

Originally posted by DRCC DRCC wrote:

I'd probably install all the spray rails before stain.

Good I've been getting answers from both sides on this one but I want to get my wood working done before I start the finish work so on they go.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 9:00pm
Wow that is going to be so awesome when complete !!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Gary, I follow a few other wood boat sites and a professional shop would put 3-4 guys on a boat this size and fair and sand it in 1-2 days, start to finish. If it's 4 guys that's 64 hours and that's just about what I have into it for sanding now. In a few books about Chris Craft that I've read there are actually shop works orders that stated "Boat Show Finish" meaning the boat was going to be on display and needed extra attention to detail. So yes they were for the most part mass produced.

My thinking on the finish is being a novice I don't know when enough is enough and I would rather spend more time on it now than look at it after varnish and say I should have done this or that to make it better. I'm not trying to impress anyone and I don't intend to show the boat but I want to be true to myself and know that I did my best then I'll be happy no matter how it turns out. I will probably go back and sand that transom again even though yesterday I said it was done! LOL

Interesting Alan. And for the last paragraph,I understand completely, seeing how you took care of the 81 we are in for a treat!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 12:17am
Alan,
While your intent is not to impress people, you must realize that anyone who sees it will be impressed. That is a fact of exceptional craftsmanship. Personally I marvel at the skill, labor, and love that goes into a project like yours. People flock to the ACBS shows for the joy of seeing boats like yours and Pete's. I will be one of them if you decide to show it. Make peace with others admiration, it is a true sign that you have brought joy into their lives. What could be better than that.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 10:59am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Alan,
While your intent is not to impress people, you must realize that anyone who sees it will be impressed. That is a fact of exceptional craftsmanship. Personally I marvel at the skill, labor, and love that goes into a project like yours. People flock to the ACBS shows for the joy of seeing boats like yours and Pete's. I will be one of them if you decide to show it. Make peace with others admiration, it is a true sign that you have brought joy into their lives. What could be better than that.

I guess I'll rephase that statement, I'm not building it to be shown, I'm sure it will end up in a show somewhere but my intent is to drive it as much as possible. It will be at as many ccfan gatherings as possible.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 11:09am
Alan, with all the documentation you been keeping on the restoration and the beautiful job you're doing, plus the rare boat that it is, some magazine ought to pic up on it and do an article.

It'll be interesting to see how the folks at the ACBS like it. Maybe it'll turn them around on Correct Crafts.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 12:23pm

Alan, with all the documentation you been keeping on the restoration and the beautiful job you're doing, plus the rare boat that it is, some magazine ought to pic up on it and do an article.

I'd sure like to see that Huricane in Classic Boating! That certainly may happen since the publication is local to us.

It'll be interesting to see how the folks at the ACBS like it. Maybe it'll turn them around on Correct Crafts.

I feel this has started several years ago. They have run out of Chriss's to look at! Also, My Atom has two Best Of Shows (1 judged and 1 not) as well as several Best In Class awards so they do look at other boats.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 12:24pm

We'll see Bruce, when ever I post a question on the wood boat sites the words Correct Craft seems to draw little interest. Correct Craft did a pretty good job of earning the wood boat reputation they have so that may be tough to get around. I will run the boat around with people that appreciate it for what it is and leave my Grey Poupon at home.   
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 2:19pm

the words Correct Craft seems to draw little interest. Correct Craft did a pretty good job of earning the wood boat reputation they have so that may be tough to get around.

They haven't seen the Hurricane yet, and the TLC you've taken to restore a beautiful wooden boat. Awesome job Alan.

And how many awards did the 81 take home when you owned her?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 2:29pm

I will run the boat around with people that appreciate it for what it is and leave my Grey Poupon at home.   

Alan,
If you and Dana would ever make it to one of the Blackhawk shows or dinners, you'd find out it's a yellow mustard on a hot dog group!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 2:34pm

you'd find out it's a yellow mustard on a hot dog group!

Oh no Mr. Brainard, I'm sorry to correct you but its a "Frankfurter!"
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 11:33am
While not a Correct Craft it is a '56 Chris Craft

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 6:28pm
Today was another milestone, I spent the morning cleaning the garage and putting my woodworking tools away for the season. I've gotten as far as I planned with wood work and am ready to start applying some finish.

The rubrail is installed and sanded

Transom detail

Bow Detail

I also got the exhaust holes cut, I thought these were going to be a problem with the angle of the transom but it went pretty easily. I was very happy with the cross-section as you can see a full 1/16" of 5200 between the plywood and the planking. 5/8" thick hull sides and bottom is pretty darn stout.

I then fitted the forward spray rails, they need to be removed and installed properly after the sides are stained and cpes'd.

Then I went about building the rear spray rails, a bit of a challenge cutting that transom piece with just a jigsaw but it came out fine. After a test fit I taped everything off and installed with a nice bed of 5200.

Then of course I had to uncover the Motor for a photo op

later this week when the 5200 on the spray rails is cured I'm going to start bleaching the boat and stain will only be a couple of weeks away.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 6:58pm

Today was another milestone, I spent the morning cleaning the garage and putting my woodworking tools away for the season.

It sure is a milestone that will go down in history!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 7:21pm
Alan, looks really good. Can't wait to see what happens when you start applying the varnish. It will be interesting how that will draw out the grains. Can't wait!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Alan, looks really good. Can't wait to see what happens when you start applying the varnish. It will be interesting how that will draw out the grains. Can't wait!

thanks Steve, I've done some testing with the stain already and I think it's going to look amazing. Very anxious to get to that point.

I've also had most of the chrome mounted so I could predrill holes and that really looks good.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 8:35pm
Yo have got to be pretty happy with that
-- the rubrail detail Pic was enough to make me drool a bit. Quite a bit of Effort, I am glad to see the boat looks to be worthy of it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 8:48pm
Drop the engine in, retake this picture- instant '13 calendar picture!

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 8:57pm
Amazing work Allen, we are going to need to create some new words to describe your over the top quality.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

62 AquaSkier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 AquaSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 9:04pm
Alan,
That is going to be an awesome boat when done. I see why some of the guys had mentioned your name as a resource for my 62 Aqua.

I look forward to seeing the updates.

Todd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2122232425 50>
  Share Topic