Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2223242526 50>
Author
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 9:06pm
By the looks of that engine I hope it floats.

Waldo
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 9:21pm
Very impressive. I hope you have a trailer that will be worthy of it. For what it is worth, I had Owen at Boatmate custom make one for my '56 and could not be happier - drop off to pick up was one week.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 9:28pm
Looks great. Just in time to play with your new boat in a few weeks.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 9:54pm
At this point I can see how pretty the lines on this boat are. The spray rails really accent the shape. It also looks much larger than I had realized until now.
BEAUTIFUL!
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 10:03pm
"End of the woodwork". Congratulations Alan, that is quite a milestone, especially in consideration of all the woodwork that went into it. No small task as 23 pages times 30 posts per page will atest.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 10:07pm
Well, he's going to have to dig the woodworking equipment out one more time. But, it's only for the seat bases/backs. I have a feeling doing some staining/varnishing and painting is a much needed break for Alan!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 10:59pm
nuff said   
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2012 at 12:33am
You are truely an artist Wish i had your skills!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2012 at 2:48am
sure has been amazin' to follow this up to this point. A milestone for sure..but lotsa fun stuff for us all to watch still to come.
Thanx for taking the time to share all this with us.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2012 at 5:55am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Drop the engine in, retake this picture- instant '13 calendar picture!

+1 !!!

Alan, the progress looks amazing!
Thanks for the great foto's and report of your endeavour... Great topic to follow along with my morning coffee (That's when most of you are sound asleep ).

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2012 at 12:14pm
Thanks for the compliments everyone, sure has been a long road to get to this point. I have "for the most part" had a good time working on the boat, have learned an awful lot along the way about wood boats, woodworking and myself. Most important thing has been the patience it takes for a project like this. Like many here this is truly just a hobby and has to take a back seat to everyday life, a typical week gets me one day to work on it so the process is painfully slow.

Next up will be stain and cpes, then I plan to get the sides painted to the waterline and get the deck primed and painted. I "think" my next logical step would be to get some mechanical work going,ie: Underwater gear, steering, fuel tank dropped in and then of course drop the engine in and get electrical run. That's a pretty good list right there.

I still have floors, ceiling planks, dashboard and interior to think about, sorry to say guys but we're a long ways from seeing water yet.

I'm saving the varnish for next winter because I really need to set up a clean environment for that and I'll probably empty the garage over the summer, clean up and fashion some sort of temporary clean room.

I do have a trailer and for the sake of saving money I plan to strip and rebuild it as opposed to having a new one made, it really just needs a little work and then a sandblast and paint job. Depending on progress next winter that may be my spring project.

Anyway, it's been fun and I will keep the photos coming as I make progress, thanks for the support.
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2012 at 1:46pm
Alan, thanks for the update. That is going to be a beautiful boat.
Sure puts me in the mood for spring! Been getting my boat and trailer ready...but nothing like what you are doing. Great job!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2012 at 1:31pm
Can't wait to see what it looks like with some color!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2012 at 2:15pm
Wow!

I know I'd have 2 new paper weights.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2012 at 4:32pm
Alan, It just keeps getting better and better !! I always can't wait to see if you have posted more pics from the weekend !
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 2:47pm
What a unique Correct Craft to restore Alan-you are a "true" craftsman-Congratulations!-For us wood afficionados out there,can you disclose your project budget in general ? Looking forward to your next post of Photo's
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Lakeview Lakeview wrote:

What a unique Correct Craft to restore Alan-you are a "true" craftsman-Congratulations!-For us wood afficionados out there,can you disclose your project budget in general ? Looking forward to your next post of Photo's

Thanks, on the budget I don't have a problem disclosing that. Some will think it's a small price to pay for a classic and some will think it's crazy so.....

I set a $20,000 budget on this entire project from the very beginning. That includes the purchase price of the boat, motor, trailer and all materials to rebuild it. Labor was never a factor and is for obvious reasons not included. To date I have spent $16,500, I figured spread out over 5 years that would work for me. The remaining major expenses are interior, gauges, rebuild the trailer, wiring. Most other major items have already been procured so I really think I'll be in at budget which is really just a self imposed goal.

I have no idea what the real value of the boat will be when done, what ever someone would pay for it I guess that is not a concern. I will probably try to insure it for around $30,000 but may get it appraised before hand.

If you're going to do one of these boats you must start with a low cost boat, I would not imagine any wood correct craft would be worth more than a few thousand if original bottom is still on it. I paid $2000 for the Hurricane but that included a lot of extras and $1600 worth of chrome plating had already been done so I thought it was good start. By far my largest single expense was the Hemi engine which I didn't have to buy but couldn't resist! LOL My thinking on that was I had to spend $3000 plus rebuilding the 327 Grey that came with it or drop a little bit more on a rebuilt running Hemi so it made sense to do that. The value of the Hemi alone was a good addition to the boat.

The boat will be getting stained this weekend, it is bleached, final sanded and ready to get color so I'll post some new photos this weekend. The color sampling I've done so far looks awesome, I can't wait for saturday morning.
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 6:09pm
Thank you for sharing that information Alan,aside from the correct crafts I own,I am in the framing stages on a 1955 Chris Craft Capri.I should have purchased stock in a Mahogany company!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pricey wood as I'm sure you know.The average boater has no idea what is involved in a restoration,be it wood or fiberglass.Keep up the great work-therre is light at the end of the restoration.
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 7:28pm
Jim, a Capri is one of my favorites and I actually believe the Hurricane is sort of Correct Crafts answer to a Capri. Similar styling even though the Correct Craft incorporated painted plywood instead of bleached Mahogany they share many similar features.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2012 at 6:33pm
Well here it is with some color, my first mate Dana rolled stain and I did the wiping. Hard to get good pictures in the garage, too dark. Photos don't do it justice it actualy looks remarkable in person.

We did bleach the sides last week and the color came out very uniform throughout the entire boat so we very happy we did that.

Took us about 4 hours to do the entire boat.

I was expressly forbidden to post pictures of Dana in her work clothes that's why it appears I'm hogging the camera time. enjoy
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2012 at 9:10pm
What a fun step to see, very cool.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2012 at 9:24pm
NICE!!!!

Can hardly wait til you start getting the varnish on!

btw, what color did you end up with?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2012 at 9:31pm
Alan - Thanks so much for sharing photos of your work. Your boat is definitely a work of art. I think I remember you saying the varnish application won't happen right away. Does the stain lighten up if not sealed right away?   Just curious . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2012 at 10:29pm
how much are the tickets going to be for the first ride? [shotgun]
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2012 at 10:37pm
Steve it's Interlux 573. Chris Craft Mahagony

Chris, It will get sealed within the week. Still not sure if I'm going to use Interlux sealer or CPES. Going to do a small area below the waterline tomorrow with CPES and see what it looks like, if I don't like it I'll go the tradional sealer route.

Jeff first ride is free if I get one in your separator!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2012 at 10:55pm
WOW

not sure what else can be said...except that I for one really woulda liked to have seen the Dana pics too. Nice hat BTW.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2012 at 11:05pm
Ditto what jbear said....WOW!
BTW do you still have the 81? or did it get sold?
Was thinking of your boats, 55, 81, 2011(12?). About every 30 years. Pretty nice cronicle of CC boatbuilding.
1955 was the year of my birth, and the slant back stern reminds me of my 93 Sport, so that Hurrican is very cool for me
Of course, then there is the Hemi
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2012 at 11:19pm
Thanks Jbear,

Jim, The 81 went to Reid, I still miss it but I think that will wear off once we get to use the new boat. I would have loved to kept it but moving it made the new boat deal work a little better.

nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2012 at 12:10am
Wow It is looking great !! It is going to be a masterpiece !!
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2012 at 1:15am
Alan , The Hurricane looks totally awesome. Cant wait to see it in person again. Speaking of seeing it in person , when are you expecting to drop in the hemi?I would love to help out with that.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2223242526 50>
  Share Topic