NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3334353637 50>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Alan, it looks amazing. None of those high end Chris Craft guys have anything on you. Are you going to have trim rings for the exhaust or is the transom raked to much to have them?

Yep I have trim rings Bruce,   I couldn't put them on because the boot stripe was still a little tacky but I didn't want to keep you guys waiting for pictures.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 6:22pm
I am thinking maybe you should go with a more rat-rod look on the trailer. Stick weld on the new supports, some strategic abrasive blasting, followed by liberal application of a high molarity salt solution and let her sit out for the next couple of months to develop the appropriate patina. I think it would provide a real nice contrast to the level of detail on the boat.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I am thinking maybe you should go with a more rat-rod look on the trailer. Stick weld on the new supports, some strategic abrasive blasting, followed by liberal application of a high molarity salt solution and let her sit out for the next couple of months to develop the appropriate patina. I think it would provide a real nice contrast to the level of detail on the boat.

Well in that case Joe the trailer's ready to roll now. LOL
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 6:28pm
Could even put some faux rollers outboard of the bunks to really freak some people out.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 7:20pm
Some house paint put on with a broom over some of that rust and 4 different tires could do wonders too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 9:02pm
How about Gary's supposedly optional guide on's for the trailer.    Damn, his avitar picture still shows the stupid things!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 9:58pm
Those Cypress Gardens guides are now in North Carolina Pete. The reason my avatar has not been changed is that I was having trouble with my password,and talked to HW about the other night. Kurt has given me permission to used a great pic he took last year at GL.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 11:38am
Actually, they were prototype Cypress Gardens guides. I hear that Gary funded his retirement by selling those.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 12:58pm
Alright so my april fools day joke wasn't my best effort.. Boat is looking unbelieveable!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 11:32am
Need some help on placing the clamshell fuel vent cover.

This was already removed when I got the boat but the screw holes in the old side planks show that it was placed so the opening was facing forward. That doesn't seem correct to me but I can't find any photos anywhere to indicate how it should be installed. I would think facing forward could catch some side spray and possibly force water into the fuel system.

turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 11:46am
Just going off pure common sense, i'd say i'm 90% sure it would face backwards. All the fuel vent for is allowing Vapors out, there's no need to have any kind of wind forced into the tank.

I'm sure others will have a better response.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 12:03pm
Do the holes line up facing down and rearward??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Do the holes line up facing down and rearward??

The holes on the old planks line up so the opening is facing forward.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 1:04pm
Turn the plank over. Your holding it backwards.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 1:06pm
Got that, what I meant was if you rotated the vent from forward facing to 1 screwhole counter-clockwise, which would leave it facing down-aft.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Turn the plank over. Your holding it backwards.

hard to make out in this picture but I have the plank and the hole is facing forward, I believe that is wrong just looking for proof before I drill new holes.
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 1:11pm
Just my two cents, I would think there a possibility of pulling a vacume if facing aft.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Just my two cents, I would think there a possibility of pulling a vacume if facing aft.

That is my thinking too, I would just like to see a few other boats with this installed for proof. Does your boat use the same piece Jack?
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 1:20pm
I was teasing about the plank. I would ask if the clam-shell is original at all? If so it (the opening) should point down or at a downward aft angle. The angled position is what I see most in older boats. Maybe some previous owner buggered it up some how. Hard telling-not knowing.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

I was teasing about the plank. Maybe some previous owner buggered it up some how. Hard telling-not knowing.

Oh I know but I still I had to find the picture to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I do think it's original to the boat but who knows. I'm sure Pete or Billy will jump in later with the answer.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 1:56pm

If the vent faces aft it will have a low pressure area
at the vent. Not sure I would call it a vacuum.

Maybe perfect, may draw fuel out of the tank.

Maybe mount the vent out of the air-stream???
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

That is my thinking too, I would just like to see a few other boats with this installed for proof. Does your boat use the same piece Jack?

Mine is on the transome Allen so no help. It has been moved at some point from starboard to the port side and can only guess why. Some of these things are a real mystery to solve.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 2:08pm

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 2:15pm
Definiely the original spot. Not a great pic, put I dont see any shadow to suggest its facing back.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 2:18pm

Just my two cents, I would think there a possibility of pulling a vaccum if facing aft.

That is my thinking too, I would just like to see a few other boats with this installed for proof.

Good points but will there be enough forward speed to generate enough of a low pressure to draw fuel up the vent line? The vent line is connected to the top of the tank, not with a pick up so I'm thinking you won't siphon gas. If anything you suck out vapors.

If the scoop was facing forward you're definately putting a postive head pressure on the tank but is it that much? If the vent line is/was routed upward on the inside of the gunwhale/stern then anywater entered in from spray would have to travel upward and into the tank. That's allot of force which equals allot of speed and we are talking about "The Hurricane" not Alans former suped up 81.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 2:47pm
I am thinking perhaps if the opening were at an angle downward and to aft it would give the same hole pattern (close anyway) as opening forward?

Downward and to aft makes the most sense in terms of function to me.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 3:09pm
my '99 SAN tank vent faces down...i know this may not help, but I just wanted to contribute to this thread because your work is AMAZING
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 3:15pm
I do have these vents on the fins of my Atom however they just vent the compartment aft not the tank. In my case they do pull from aft. One on each side.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 3:46pm
This may be of help...but my vent comes out under the rear rub rail...just a pipe that's been peen'd over to stop it pulling back through.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

If the vent faces aft it will have a low pressure area
at the vent. Not sure I would call it a vacuum.

Maybe perfect, may draw fuel out of the tank.

Maybe mount the vent out of the air-stream???

I could be totally incorrect on this, but I think the drag of the ID of the piping wouldn't allow for anything to really happen.
I just don't think and type of vaccuum can be created.

This is once again being over thought.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3334353637 50>
  Share Topic