NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4243444546 50>
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2013 at 6:48pm
Can you imagine someone taking a tree and making it into something as beautiful as that ..

Work speakers have no sound (thanks windows 8) but I will give her a listen when I get home!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2013 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Can you imagine someone taking a tree and making it into something as beautiful as that ..

If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats, he would have made fiberglass trees!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2013 at 8:08pm
Alan,
WOW!! Sweat sounding!
Don't let that trans problem go too long. I'd hate to see you warp the clutch plates. I have a feeling nothing was ever done to the trans. Y hate to say this but you may need to pull it. If you can't find a clutch pack for it, the plates can be lapped. I have a feeling some are warped.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2013 at 11:19pm
cant watch second vid :(

Boat looks great tho!
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 4:43am
What a beautiful machine and what a sound Alan!
Looking forward to the updates on the trans and power issue. Please please please keep documenting every step as you did in the rest of this thread... Always a great read with a nice cup of coffee

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan,
WOW!! Sweat sounding!
Don't let that trans problem go too long. I'd hate to see you warp the clutch plates. I have a feeling nothing was ever done to the trans. Y hate to say this but you may need to pull it. If you can't find a clutch pack for it, the plates can be lapped. I have a feeling some are warped.

Pete I don't believe that's the case, not yet anyway. I really think the 1/2" pipe from the shirt lever back to the trans is just bending under pressure when I try to engage forward. There is evidence of supports on the stringers I assume that would have kept it from deflecting under a load. I'm going to pull the floor and take a closer look but I hope that's all there is to it. The clutch needs at least one more notch but I can't get it to knuckle in with the deflection in the pipe. I'm pretty certain if I remove that it will lock in.

Do you recall if the shift pipe on your Atom is supported or free hanging?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Alan,
WOW!! Sweat sounding!

Pete I don't believe that's the case, not yet anyway. I really think the 1/2" pipe from the shirt lever back to the trans is just bending under pressure when I try to engage forward. There is evidence of supports on the stringers I assume that would have kept it from deflecting under a load. I'm going to pull the floor and take a closer look but I hope that's all there is to it. The clutch needs at least one more notch but I can't get it to knuckle in with the deflection in the pipe. I'm pretty certain if I remove that it will lock in.

Do you recall if the shift pipe on your Atom is supported or free hanging?

Alan,
The Atom sure is shorter but yes, there are a couple supports for the pipe. They are simply plywood with clearance holes it keep the shift pipe from bending. On the launch I'm doing, I actually need to use 3/8" galv. pipe due to engine to hull/stringer clearance issues. There will be a couple supports but of coarse they will be solid wood since they didn't have ply back then!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 11:11pm
Alan, did you give that ACME a shot?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2013 at 12:20am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Sure did and it ran nice and smooth but I wasn't able to really determine if it's enough prop for the boat since I couldn't open it up and get a tach reading. I suspect I need a bit more pitch, I'm going to pull it and get it back to you, thanks for the trial.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2013 at 1:16pm

Sure did and it ran nice and smooth but I wasn't able to really determine if it's enough prop for the boat since I couldn't open it up and get a tach reading. I suspect I need a bit more pitch, I'm going to pull it and get it back to you, thanks for the trial.

Truly no hurry. Borrow it until you get things figured out or until I hit a log. Whichever event occurs first.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2013 at 1:34pm

Truly no hurry. Borrow it until you get things figured out or until I hit a log. Whichever event occurs first.

Awesome, a couple more weeks then as I'm going to try to get the trans and linkage adjusted and get one more water test in this year. Stay away from those logs.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2014 at 1:43pm
Can't believe I haven't updated this thread since October but work and family stuff just kept us off the water until this past weekend.

We spent a few days at Quinners new lake house and had a blast playing with the Hurricane and hanging out.

The boat ran great and my changes to the trans linkage solved the slipping problem. Still a little tweaking to do but at least it's a user boat now.   Gary S came out with the Mustang and chased us around the lake a few times with the cell phones raised so here's a little video.

Flyby

Chase

She really is fun to drive and certainly got some looks from the locals. Hopefully we'll get out a couple more times before the summers over.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2014 at 2:12pm
just awesome...can't wait to go for a ride next week!
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2014 at 12:21am
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2014 at 12:35am
The videos made my day, maybe my week. The Hurricane is art at the speed of fun.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2014 at 1:23am
Good to see here doing the things she was meant to. Including putting smiles on faces.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 11:51am
Well summer of 2014 was a pretty good one for the Hurricane. Starting in March and ending with a Classic Boat show in September the Hurricane logged over 7000 miles touring several Correctcraftfan events. Due to my hand injury she didn't even run when we dragged her down to Florida but progress was made at each subsequent outing. By the end of the summer "most" of her bugs were worked out and we had a fairly dependable boat.

I've got a pretty big to do list this winter and started on the first project which is to add some HP and get some more throttle response out of the motor.

A disclaimer for the purist, rest assured all changes being made to the motor are reversible in the event I ever sell the boat it can be put back stock but for the sake of "I just can't leave stuff alone" I am diving into some minor motor upgrades.

I've spent a considerable amount of time researching and most importantly talking to several first gen Hemi builders and aftermarket suppliers and with some basic bolt on items they're certain we can add in the range of 40-50 hp and also increase the operating rpm limit from 3800 to 4400 without any issues at all. The stock bottom end is stout enough to exceed that and the current 3800 max was being limited by the tiny carbs and intake.

So those 2 single barrel carbs look so cool but they really are dogs in the performance department so off they go.

They will be replaced by an aluminum high rise intake and an edelbrock 600 cfm marine carb. The manifold is out at the machine shop now having the carb base milled on an angle to get the carb closer to level. I was going to simply add a wedge plate but engine bay hatch clearance is an issue. I've never run an edlebrock carb before but didn't think the Holley would look quite right on this motor, a Carter would have been more appropriate and the Eddy resembles the carter in looks.

Replacing the manifold creates an issue with the thermostat housing as it's integral to the manifold in stock form, the new manifold doesn't have any provision for the thermostat.    In the end, this is good thing because if you recall I've had to bypass the original stat to get the motor to cool. What I'm having built now is a remote thermostat housing that will resolve the cooling issue. This is done quite often in the Hemi Hot Rod scene so I just had to adapt the housing to work with my marine cooling system. Photos in a few weeks when it's completed.

Next will be an ignition upgrade, Hot Hemi Heads makes a replacement distributor drive shaft that replaces the original and then allows you to use any Chrysler small block Distributor. A new marine EI unit will be dropping in.

While everything is apart I pulled the valve covers and retorqued the head bolts and checked valve lash as this motor has solid lifters.

I'll be fabricating new throttle linkage while the machine work is being done, then paint everything to match the rest of the motor before assembly so more progress photos as it all comes together.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 1:13pm
Good Stuff Alan. Pete's gonna have a coronary over this one.

I (and I think I can safely speak for countless others) appreciate all the time,effort and rearranging of you and Dana's busy schedule to provide a Hurricane to so many of the mini's this past summer. I think the smiles on the faces of everyone who got the chance to ride in "Soul Mate" says it all and we look forward to the upgrades you're doing to her. She's beautiful to look at and even better to ride in!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 1:30pm
More power and fully reversible... Hard to argue with that!

I'm excited to see this thing pull a barefooter or 2.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 2:24pm
I think the coolest part of this boat is the story that brought it back to glory.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Pete's gonna have a coronary over this one. ]

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Alan,
When you adjusted the valves, was lots needed due to wear?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 3:21pm

Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Pete's gonna have a coronary over this one. ]

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Alan,
When you adjusted the valves, was lots needed due to wear?

All were within spec Pete so no adjustment needed. Just figured I would check while it was opened up.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 4:31pm
Next thing will be a Monster Tower with board racks LMAO..

What,,,,,, you can take it off !!!!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 5:00pm
Alan, nice! That thing will be a screamer with some more power and RPM. Thinking prop upgrade as well?

No doubt there is a ton more power hidden inside that monster Hemi mill.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 5:05pm
Alan
So many wood boats are built for show. Your upgrades are a testament that yours is a gorgeous boat built to be used. Just awesome. Do you think you will need to re-prop to get 4400 RPM or will the extra horsepower and RPM 's balance?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 5:27pm
I spent so much time over the summer getting the boat mechanically sound that I never really settled in on the correct prop for the boat. I was running a borrowed prop which wasn't quite right but gave me an indication of what direction I would probably need to go. I know what I'm going to start with for a baseline since it's a 19' boat running a 1:1 transmission with about 240hp and a redline of 4400rpm.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Alan
So many wood boats are built for show. Your upgrades are a testament that yours is a gorgeous boat built to be used. Just awesome.

At the Lake Geneva Show I was bored out of my mind so I started taking total strangers (with good looking girlfriends) for boat rides. I took 4 groups of people out for their first ride ever in a wood boat. That was pretty cool and made attending the show worthwhile.

The wood boat crowd keeps asking the question of how do they get more people involved in the hobby. I think it's pretty simple, take people for rides and show them how affordable and fun it really can be. It's really a shame that most of the boats are left tied up all day. People are dying to hear them start up let alone get a ride but most just sit there getting the spots wiped off with vinegar water for the judges. Needless to say the Hurricane did not get judged. LOL

I got a letter in the mail the other day from Classic Boating magazine with a photo of the boat saying they tried to catch up with me all day but never did, they've invited the Hurricane back next year to participate in a Saturday morning photo shoot. That sounds like fun so I'll return and after the photos give some more boat rides.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 5:55pm

Classic Boating invited the Hurricane back next year to participate in a Saturday morning photo shoot. That sounds like fun so I'll return and after the photos give some more boat rides.

We always knew you were a game changer Alan. You may have taken the blinders off many of those guys. Sounds a little like the Dora show after the onslaught of pristine 'plastic boats' showed up.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 6:06pm
I had my first ride wooden boatc ride at GL 2013(not in the Hurricane like I hoped ) I pulled the owners kids wake boarding with my 89 and after was offered a ride in exchange. What a thrill. You are right rides and fly bys should be a large part of these events after the judging. Who would go to an airshow if all the planes stayed grounded?
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 6:21pm
Anyway since I've been told the Hurricane is not a true restoration and is considered a resto-mod I just thought it's about time I got working on the rest o the mods.    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4243444546 50>
  Share Topic