NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4344454647 50>
Author
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 6:23pm
Alan, what makes it not a "true restoration"?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Yes, I want to know too! You had better PM me. I want to know who's been telling you this.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

old curmudgeons that swear up and down that Correct Craft never put a Hemi in a boat. So by me dropping one in I've created a resto mod sort of like dropping a first gen hemi in a T bucket.

Between the bright yellow paint, the arrow motif on the bow, the sloped transom, the Hemi and the overall styling of the boat no one knows what the heck to make of it. Next year I'll put together a better display with the photos from the original catalog that I have then I can at least prove I didn't dream the boat up in my garage.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 7:31pm
That carb set looks nice. Funny how people that don't have much interest in Correct Craft can be an authority on Correct Craft. What did Mr. Ralph say?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

That carb set looks nice. Funny how people that don't have much interest in Correct Craft can be an authority on Correct Craft. What did Mr. Ralph say?

honestly Bruce, Mr Ralph doesn't have any recollection of the boat.    I interpret that as they just didn't build many of them. We know of 2, sure wish there was some history from that era left.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 7:48pm

Funny how people that don't have much interest in Correct Craft can be an authority on Correct Craft.

This is a sad fact that I fought for 8 years when I held office with the Blackhawk chapter. It happens with all chapters and is a continuing problem. It sure isn't good for membership! They also forget that my Atom has won the Sharpest Arrow award. It's a true judged award given by the Blackhawk chapter and judged by people who do know boats! I'm sorry I wasn't at the show this year since I sure would have told the "old curmudgeons" to shut the f*** up!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 9:10pm
this is so exciting !! it must be a sign of old age when I can live vicariously through another mans woodie
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

in the event I ever sell the boat

Now that's the most ridiculous comment I've read on CCF to date.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Not ridiculous at all... I've always figured Alan had a few screws loose.

Exhibit A:

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 11:53am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Not ridiculous at all... I've always figured Alan had a few screws loose.

Ha! I'd say not ridiculous at all because I'm a serial vehicle owner and if Alan is anything like that he's thought about moving on once or twice. You long for a vehicle, enjoy the thrill of the chase and the process of making it better, then it loses it's luster and another shiny object comes along to start it all over with again! Of course this boat was a massive effort but YOLO and there is a lot of cool stuff to own out there!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 12:23pm
The trolls at car and motorcycle shows seem to outnumber those on the web. It is not surprising to hear they also attend boat shows. I believe your restoration is best judged by the way it captivated those who frequent this site, and your enjoyment and satisfaction with the finished product. There are many boats here I admire but I always perk up when I see there is a Hurricane post. I can't wait to see how the project unfolds..
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 12:32pm
I like to give Woody Rides too   
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

I like to give Woody Rides too   

..and just like Alan you'll give a ride to ANYBODY!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 1:33pm
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 1:49pm
Alan if you're ready to unload the hurricane I'll give you $450 for it, but only after the carb upgrade... if you expect me to do you a favor and take it off your hands I'm not inheriting it's problems too
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 2:30pm

Proud to say I drove the Hurricane AND The Correct Craft Fan Orange Nautique.

Who else drove both boats?
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 2:59pm
Nothing wrong with a little performance upgrade if you ask me!!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 3:16pm
Come on Doggie, that's easy. Not only have driven both, skied & footed behind the crush, been towed in by the Hurricane (after breaking down in an unnamed blue mustang with a windshield) also have quite a few hours trailering the Hurricane including a near miss with a Deer in the Mountains of West Virginia

Go Ahead and beat that!!!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 3:47pm
I'm an in for the multi barefoot runs!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Come on Doggie, that's easy. Not only have driven both, skied & footed behind the crush, been towed in by the Hurricane (after breaking down in an unnamed blue mustang with a windshield) also have quite a few hours trailering the Hurricane including a near miss with a Deer in the Mountains of West Virginia

Go Ahead and beat that!!!

I've towed the Hurricane in, so good to see it return the deed.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 6:02pm
At GL last year when Alan was having overheating problems. I was "champing at the bit" to get after it with screw driver and tools :)
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 10:31am
So nothing ground breaking here but the forums have been slow this week so here's a photo of the intake. I have a clearance issue with the engine bay hatches, even a low profile flame arrestor was going to need to be modified to fit so adding a wedge plate to level the carb was out of the question.

The new intake is really tall and has a huge amount of material at the carb base so I had the machine shop mill it down on the front, 5/8" to 0. That gets the carb within an 1/8" of level, at least while the boat sits on the trailer. At speed especially slow with the bow up it will still be angled back but I think it will be fine. So anyway they milled and corrected the threads so the studs would be 90 to the base again. Now I can start fabricating the throttle linkage support.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 10:41am
Niceeeeeee
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 10:42am
Do you have a PCV valve? For some reason the Edelbrock marine carbs have to be drilled out to install a nipple into the base of the carb, while the automotive carbs come with one already installed.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 10:48am

Do you have a PCV valve? For some reason the Edelbrock marine carbs have to be drilled out to install a nipple into the base of the carb, while the automotive carbs come with one already installed.

Bruce the original setup doesn't use a pcv, just a breather tube on the intake valley cover. The new intake has a threaded boss on the rear intake runner for a pcv valve, so I've inserted a grommet on the valley for the pcv and will run a rubber hose to the intake. No breathers on the valve covers, ventilation is down on the transmission.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 10:51am
This breather tube will be replaced with a pcv valve
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 10:55am
Alan, my cousin works at a large airport/freight shipping facility in Michigan. He was pulling parts off of an old airplane in the bone yard and ran across what looked to be a 1950s vintage airplane tug. Upon closer inspection he discovered a 392 Chrysler Industrial Hemi under the hood of that old tug still sporing its Chrysler Industrial valve covers (looks like those).

He inquired about buying the tug but was informed there was a long waiting list. Makes you wonder how much of that cool stuff is still sitting around undiscovered.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 10:56am
Alan, looking good!

I've had to learn a bit about crankcase venting theory with our bfn- i imagine you have it covered. I'd be a little hesitant to change the set up if what you had before was working well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 10:56am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Niceeeeeee

Zach, You would love this machine shop. The owner is a true Mopar guy. When I told him the intake was for a first gen hemi it started a one hour conversation and I think it would have gone on longer if didn't need to get back to work. He's done a ton of marine builds to, this is the same guy that did the machine work on the motor for the 81.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 10:58am
I've found the standard PCV valve that a PCM 351 uses to work good on our 312. The engine was newly rebuilt when we got it and it had blow by. I finally figured out that replacing whatever one the PO had installed took care of it. Our breather is on the valley pan and the PCV in the valve cover.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4344454647 50>
  Share Topic