NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 50>
Author
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 2:29am
Alan;

That is very cool. Are those the carbs on top - I can't wait to see that thing all cleaned up like I know you will. I think its almost as exciting for everyone on here, to see a piece of history being restored, will at least for me anyway.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 2:32am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

WOW Alan, it even looks in great shape.Look out Opel, here he comes! Did you get any story as to why it was pulled out? Congrats on a great find.

Gary, the boat was stripped for a rebuild, he pulled the engine and had rings and bearings installed so Opel is not in my future. It's been sitting in a storage unit for several years waiting on the boat which unfortunately is just a skeleton and my guess is it will never see water again. The motor is remarkably complete, All it needs is a bath, fresh paint and a little detailing and it's ready to drop in.

I'll probably get it running and make sure it's ok, then mothball it again until I'm ready for it.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 8:50am
What a find, Alan! Tim sure knows how to sift through Craig's List. Is it a Chrysler Marine? What kind of tranny is on it? You are going to have one cool boat.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 9:02am
Great find for now a HH CC
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 9:59am
This will be another great adventure as it unfolds. Keith may have to write a book someday about all the history that was preserved thru his site!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 10:03am
Outstanding. Unbelievable.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 10:16am
Bruce,
The trans is Chryslers very own!! It wasn't until I'd say the mid 60's when they started to bolt up the Velvet drives to their marine engines. The trans is their "manual" version meaning it was connected to the through the floor shift lever via the 1/2" pipe in the bilge. Chrysler did have a version of a "automatic". It involved a hydraulic pump and slave cylinders attached to the outside of the manual for actuating the shifting arm. They were used mostly on larger boats were the routing of the 1/2" pipe through the bilge wasn't practical. Interestingly, Chris Craft had one too. It was called the "Chris-o-matic" but because the hydraulics were only "on demand" there was always a delay (caused by the time it took to build pressure) in shifting. They became better known as the "crash-o-matic"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 12:54pm
What a find! I can't wait to see the finished project.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 1:39pm
Alan,
That is tooooo cooool!
the only thing I see is you need valve covers without the sparkplug wire covers, something like these.

you cant miss its a hemi with those!

BTW, when we having the "tippin-party"?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 1:49pm
Alan,

Get to work.......I want a ride in that thing at Green Lake next year!!

AWESOME!!!!!!!

Paul,
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 2:05pm
What a trip! When you gonna post the 81 with SweatPea in the rig thread?
BOB BAILEY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOB BAILEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2009 at 11:03pm
Allen , I noticed that you front light lens are clouding looking . There is a guy in Maine that can make those look new again. The name of the company is Maine Classics. 207-247-6862 if you want to contact him I think his name is Max. Thanks Bob Bailey 614-404-6752
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2009 at 11:14pm
Hey Bob I see you found the thread, thanks for the info on the light lens. Good talking to you the other day.

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 12:20am
Quite a story with this boat Alan, congratulations. Very cool to see everyone pitching in. I can't wait to see you pulling Pete on its inaugural tube run :)

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
W.U.S.S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.U.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 12:33am
Awesome find. I would love to have the space and ambition to tackle a project like that someday.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 12:52am
It comes home from storage Sunday and we'll start digging into it. I'll try to keep up with photos.

And yes, Pete can have the first tube ride behind it.
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 9:05am
That will be the day.....
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2009 at 8:37pm

Well I finally got the Hurricane home and flipped this weekend. Flipping it at home without the use of my forklift and overhead crane at the shop added a little more effort and planning but all in all the flip went easy and only required 2 people.

I built a cradle around the boat so we could flip it 90 degress at a time, once completely over we rolled into the garage and removed and stored the framework for the reflip in a few months.

Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2009 at 8:40pm
Way cool.

Waldo
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2009 at 8:46pm
I did get just about one full side of the bottom off. Good news is it came off very easy, bad news is I am probably not going to reuse any of the planks. They're just not good enough to go through all the labor and not replace with new. We'll also remove the inner planking and replace with a nice 1/4" marine ply inner bottom. Should be a nice tight trailerable bottom when done.

You can see the original canvas between the two bottoms so I suspect this is the first time it's been off since new.

The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2009 at 8:50pm
Very nice pic's Alan thanks for sharing.

Dave
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2009 at 10:22pm
Good pictures, Alan. It's always really interesting to see how people figure stuff out. This will be a great thread this winter!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2009 at 10:44pm
Can you say "Frearson"?       

..now thats definately "Shadetree" ....Nice job Alan!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2009 at 11:36pm
Alan - I think it's great there are people like you willing to save these boats. They are a part of our heritage. Big commitment! It will probably be in a museum someday.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2009 at 9:31am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Can you say "Frearson"?        

Yes for the replank he'll be saying it many times over!! Now for the disassembly it's "slotted"!!

Alan,
I like the sided frame idea. Looks like it really worked great. Better than the roll over with radiused ply. Now you even have the hull all squared off sitting on the floor.

For Mahogany, try Owl Hardwood Lumber if you haven't already found them. They have locations in Des Plaines, Oak Lawn and Lombard but the main mill is Des Plaines. They have full mill services so they can resaw and book match. However, I'm sure the Hurricane didn't come out of the factory that way!!!! Actually, there are some boats I've seen were it's been done to the point were it looks like a piece of plywood -almost fake looking!!!

Owl

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2009 at 12:54am
I always thought you were a smart guy Alan...look at the way you married...luv ya Dana...but now I am sure of it looking at that cool rig to flip the boat. You guys that take on these projects never fail to amaze me.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2009 at 1:04am
Getting up to speed with removing the bottom, I hope to have it stripped down to ribs by the end of the day saturday.

The decision to replace the inner bottom was confirmed, Lots of soft spots. I can just pull it off without tools. It'sa ctually easier to just rip everythng out and replace with new than to try to salage any of it.

Here's what 33 years of sitting in a barn does to wood. These planks have a 3/8 gap between them from drying out and shrinking. They were also sealed with Pete's favorite sealant "Clear Silicone Caulk" which was pretty much useless.
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2009 at 9:59am
You are a better man than me!
bj
hasbeenskier
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2009 at 5:50pm
A slick rig for the flip....I'll be anxious to watch your progress on this unique old boat.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2009 at 6:31pm
I will second the motion that "you are a better man than me". Now that is a project. Good luck with it Alan! Can't wait to see it when done. I am just up the road an hour or so, let me know if you need a hand.   

By the way, I was looking through the brochures in the reference section recently. You have probably seen it, but, I think I remember seeing a '55 Huricane in one of the mid-late 90's brochures. I will have to go back and confirm.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 50>
  Share Topic