Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is it my carb?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Brian View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it my carb?
    Posted: February-01-2004 at 5:05pm
Last season the problem I was having with my boat was, I would accelorate and between 2200 and 2500 RPM the boat would just sputter and die. I could nurse it through this but when pulling a wakeboarder it's not so good when it takes 5 min. to get going. I took it to my local marina and was told it was the carb, so I had it replaced with a brand new 4 barrel Rochester. The boat ran fine untill about a month later when it started all over. What do you think? Could it be someting as simple as filters? Or something much more costly? Thanks in advance for your imput.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2004 at 5:22pm
i would say you have fuel issues, but it could be other things. do a FULL tune up and take it from there. replace the cap, points, wires, plugs, condensor, both fuel filters and possibly the coil or key switch.

after that go through trouble shoot list in the manuals in the reference section.

is you check valve still on the fuel line? have you changed the fuel filter and if so what was in it when you changed it? is your fuel tank vent open? do you buy gas at the marina? running extra ballast or weight? ever cleaned the flame/spark arrestor?
Tommer View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2004 at 4:10pm
I had this problem on my boat.... Check your Distrubtor for weights... if you have weights in it, probably one of the springs is bad and the timing becomes off. It took me forever to find out this problem.... I have an 84' 2001 351 Commander, I went head to toe and found that problem buried away.

anyone else with the commander series engine? My exhaust is getting ready to go It I think and would love to find parts.
thanks!

Tommer12@mindspring.com
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2004 at 4:29pm
power valve could also be an issue if you have a holley. carbs never work 'out of the box' for me. diagnostics are faster with the proper tools vac. gauge, advancing timing light ect. damn fords.

there are some center eiser exhaust on ebay right now , but they are asking a new price.
there is a performance gain with the center riser set up and i believe pcm was the first to venture into that type set up. new pcm stuff for each side will hit the 500 mark with a gasket/bolt set. osco stuff is heavier duty and cheaper, but i think its ugly.

you can get aluminum log style for the 351 also.

Tommer View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2004 at 2:14am
I agree damn fords... I have the vaccum gauge and a timing light... it's a pain in the butt... but I can get I got tweaked pretty good with a new holley. But I have a feeling my commander pipes are going to go soon and I will need exhaust system. It looks great with the aluminum commander tubes...   I need to do a compression test on each cylinder to make sure I don't have any other leaks. Damn Fords.... but when it runs, it runs like a champ.

thanks!!
tommer12@bigfoot.com
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2004 at 3:08am
a timing light will tell you if your weights are getting hung up, but it would not hurt to clean and lube them.

these are from glennwood.
reidp View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2004 at 12:35am
Member Howard Lane has the great looking polished aluminum exhausts that Tom's shown above on his red 1970 Mustang. See the diaries for some photos. Unless the aluminum Commanders have been run in salt water, I wouldn't have believed they would be crapping out on you already. That's too bad as they're nice pieces also.

Reid
aldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2004 at 6:37pm
My Holman-Moody came with tapered aluminum headers. They were real clean looking. The engine developed a burned exhaust valve and by the time it was discovered it had eaten a hole right through the header. Bummer. I went back with OSCO's, which don't look as clean. But they give much better access to the starter and plugs, though.
Al
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2004 at 10:53pm
aldo, which side did you smoke on the hm manifold. i need a starboard side manifold. mine has been opened up and patched.
jcawley3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcawley3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2004 at 3:43pm
I had the same problem with my holly it was the timing on minealso had a broken spring in the distributer
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2004 at 5:33pm
aldo, i need the driver side manifold.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2004 at 6:15pm
i would advise to check the clearance inside of the motorbox before you buy glenwood manifolds.you can buy a complete set of pcm for 700.00 and that includes all hardware. pcm started using that style in 1970. also why did you put a rochcester on you ford? is it a 2v?
woodyelc
nauti girl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2004 at 2:19am
Brian,
I had a similar problem with my 351 Commander. It would sputter and stall most every time I tried a fast hole-shot (which is all-the-time when you are skiing). As long as I babied it, it did fine. I thought it had to be a carb problem, but I finally figured out that these #$%^& Fords will act this way if the alternator is not charging properly. I replaced mine with a GM alternator and now I can't make it stall if I try.
Nauti Girl
--I think my husband uses his own login now!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic