NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro Tech

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro Tech
    Posted: November-19-2008 at 10:52pm
Hello all.
I just removed a working Protech ignition system from a 92 PCM motor it has over 1000 hours. This is a complete system from relay to trigger, wiring harness, Coils, Ect, all parts included ready to install on a left hand 351-w. Also I have a extra trigger and Coil and some other Protech parts and pieces all needs to go $150.00 plus shipping.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Rlbol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rlbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2008 at 11:55pm
is this the same system off 1992 pro boss carbed motor?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 12:50pm
Yes That is correct.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Rlbol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rlbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 10:56pm
Would you take $100 shipped to 33470?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2008 at 1:39pm
Hi and Merry Christmas.
To south florida I will sell this stuff for $150.00 and include shipping.
Also You pay the Web site % donation.

azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2008 at 8:21pm
Hey Jody-
At one point I know you were getting rid of a bunch of stuff. I was wondering if you had any exhaust manifolds for a 351W?

Sorry for the thread jack.

Adam
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2008 at 3:09pm
Adam
No problem about the Hijack.
Yes I have a few used pairs of Exhaust Manifolds but not to many risors if any. Call me at florida Inboards and I will let you know what i have.

Still have the Protech systems.

Jody

azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2008 at 8:01pm
Hey Jody,
Not sure if you guys were there on Tuesday, but I left a message for you. Please give me a call back if you can 904-403-3050. I need something decent to replace the manifolds on my 351W.

Thanks,
Merry Christmas,

Adam
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2008 at 10:40pm
Jody:

I too could use a PCM manifold. I need a right side (as you look at the motor)...do not need the riser as I could reuse the one I have now if you do not have a complete one.

Thanks;
john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 4:45pm
Do you still have the ProTec components? If the system worked, I may be interested. I called CorrectCraft about some things and they said that the ProTec gave 10-12 hp over a traditional ignition system. My protec still works, but I do like the system.
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2009 at 4:54pm
Yes I still have the box of Protec stuff!!!

Priced right. $125.00 plus shipping.

Email or call me for more information and a detailed description of what all goes.

Thanks.

Jody

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2009 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by weitekampt weitekampt wrote:

I called CorrectCraft about some things and they said that the ProTec gave 10-12 hp over a traditional ignition system.

Im not buying it, Todd! I just dont see the Protec providing any performance advantage over a good conventional distributor with a proper advance curve. In fact, most people say that performance improves when swapping out the Protec for a conventional system.

I dont want to steal Jody's sale, but Id be putting that $150 aside with the intention of swapping out to a nice electronic distributor when your Protec finally goes. Both Mallory and DUI make nice units.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2009 at 10:43pm
Protec vs. distributor, Carb vs. EFI. Boy, I love this site!

Where is '79??
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2009 at 5:42pm

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I called CorrectCraft about some things and they said that the ProTec gave 10-12 hp over a traditional ignition system.

Im not buying it, Todd! I just dont see the Protec providing any performance advantage over a good conventional distributor with a proper advance curve. In fact, most people say that performance improves when swapping out the Protec for a conventional system.

I dont want to steal Jody's sale, but Id be putting that $150 aside with the intention of swapping out to a nice electronic distributor when your Protec finally goes. Both Mallory and DUI make nice units.

I dont think this is the spot to discuss the benefits and losses of a particular item
That is for sale. I think if you want to discuss this you might want to start your own thread. Their are many that will tell you, you have not a clue of what you are spewing about including the boy's at PCM. We had a laugh about your post as you obviously are clueless.
Any way the Protec equipment is still for sale.
I do not make a living off of selling used equipment on this and other web sites, I offer these and other items as it beats throwing it in the trash like most shops do.
I do very little rebuilding of the older Ford equipment and when I refurb older boats I re-power with new Chevy direct replacement motors and transmissions. I sell and give this stuff away at very low reasonable prices sometimes just pick up the shipping and you can have it.

Just remember what comes around goes around!

Thanks!

Jody

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2009 at 7:15pm
Time to grab some popcorn and a glass of wine!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2009 at 1:46pm
i do like the statement, Chevy direct....
"the things you own will start to own you"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2009 at 3:13pm
FI - Good luck on selling this system, I am sure someone will be happy to get it.

We love to argue about these things, just because we can.

At least we kept the post at the top of the list!

Thanks for supporting CCF.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2009 at 4:02pm
some guy's prefer the old points system if i remember correctly, the statement was they are very reliable...until the boat dont start
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2009 at 12:55am
Geeze boys, no need to be trash talkin'! I was asking because 125 bucks is cheaper than 500+ for teh conversion. Someday I will be forced to take the plunge, but I want to keep the ProTec as long as I can. I know there are some "haters" of the system, but I have 16 years out of mine. Crap, I'll probably go out there now and it won't fire!

I knew my post would stir the pot, but that was not its intentions. I got my information straight from Correct Craft in Angola. I am not a professional, but I do trust what they say.

Let's let er' simmer down....what do you say?
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2009 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

I dont think this is the spot to discuss the benefits and losses of a particular item
That is for sale. I think if you want to discuss this you might want to start your own thread. Their are many that will tell you, you have not a clue of what you are spewing about including the boy's at PCM. We had a laugh about your post as you obviously are clueless.

Geez, thanks Jody. Appreciate the cheap shot. Since we've done business before and spoken on the phone a few times, I thought you were above that. Guess not.

Anyways, I wasnt the one who raised the issue- Todd did. I offered a response- after all, this is a forum where anyone can voice an opinion. An ignition system isnt rocket science- sometimes simpler is cheaper, performs better and is more reliable.

Good luck with the sale.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2009 at 1:50pm
Tim

a dist can not match a DIS system, even thought this is a crappy system that doesn't last over the long haul, and the module isn't the best the KV output and timing and added spark plug life blow a dist out of the water.

You can keep on thinking that DUI module is something special and not an off the shelf item that is repackaged, and that the coil has a higher KV output than the promasters series coil. But botoom line you need to do a lot more homework in regards to ignition systems and what is good and what is better, just because it's what you bought and like it doesn't mean ***************, you and joe both had more problems with those DUI's than I ever had with the mallory,
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2009 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

this is a crappy system that doesn't last over the long haul

you and joe both had more problems with those DUI's than I ever had with the mallory,

That was one of my points, Chris. Whether they fail altogether or performance drops off over time (lots of people report a performance gain when swapping it out), the Protec doesnt seem like a great system to me. Im not knocking DIS ignition systems in general as Im certainly no expert, but there are plenty of people here pushing plenty of power with conventional distributors. Seems simpler is sometimes better. Or would you swap a Protec onto your boat? Not sure what the other option would be.

We can agree to disagree about the DUI- I just know that those of us who run them are happy with them. I know Joe had an issue with a gear (not sure what the exact problem was) but I havent had a single issue with mine. Maybe youre confusing me with someone else?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2009 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Any way the Protec equipment is still for sale.
I do not make a living off of selling used equipment on this and other web sites, I offer these and other items as it beats throwing it in the trash like most shops do.
I do very little rebuilding of the older Ford equipment and when I refurb older boats I re-power with new Chevy direct replacement motors and transmissions. I sell and give this stuff away at very low reasonable prices sometimes just pick up the shipping and you can have it.

Just remember what comes around goes around!

Thanks!

Jody

What came around for me was problems with the Pro-Tech after 10yrs & 250hrs, what went around was much better performance after it was replaced with the conversion kit purchased from Ski-Dim, hand down the boat ran and preformed better then at any other point going back to brand new, no question!!!!!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2009 at 2:59pm
The protect is a poor choice to compair to a Dist, With the correct ECU mapping and crank and cam sensor inputs that you can get out of a DIS system, a conventional unit cannot match it performance wise. Now swapping a Dist for the Protect might have seemed like it was an improvement, but that's because of the poor quality of the protect and not a DIS issue, If it is possible I would upgrade to the new style DIS PCM is using verses converting to a dist.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2009 at 11:57pm
just remember, when these engines go all plug in(which they are)....its back to the dealer, its impossible to troubleshoot an engine (late style) without a scanner...you may try but you will spend money doing it, not to far down the road, I see the questions popping up already on the check engine lights
its not even worth buying a cheap scanner because that only tells you codes, and then the parts swapping begins and its usually 400 or 500 bucks before you figure out that isnt the problem even though the scanner said so
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2009 at 10:54am
yes the cheap scanners like the ones the auto parts stores use and sell will not get the job done, they are very limited on what info they can pull from the ECU and do not get into the detailed info like volt reads, injector pulse info, what reading the TPS is seeing, and on and on and on, that's why the scanners cost $$$ for the good ones.
woodyz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 7:56pm
I'm having problems with my 91 excel protec as well. I'm thinking of converting over to an EFI convertion that includes a distributor.
Has anyone tried this or am I way out in right field.

WoodyZ
Woodyz 91 Excel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic