Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paint color for Interceptor Engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paint color for Interceptor Engine
    Posted: November-20-2008 at 12:54pm
I know this has been discussed here as I was directed to a few links, not long ago, but I'm looking for opinions about this color.

One post and some discussion ended up at "use either GM Blue, Detroit Deisel, or Alpine Green (not sure if those last two were discussed as being almost the same).

Anyway, went and ordered some of the Alpine Green after comparing pictures and the swatch (?) in the brochures.

Attached a few pics of some Interceptors that I think look good, but it's wierd; the one engine is the same and the color looks different in different pics (see below). of course the big question is -- what do you guys think about the picture of the can (showing the Alpine Green cap)? Does it look like those pictures of the engines? I'm starting to think I'm going color blind. Sometimes it looks right to me and sometimes it looks like too much green? Appreciate any and all opinions!

Inboards Rule!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 1:04pm
Thats purdy. That can looks way to green/dark untill you took the close up picture of it then it looks way better.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 1:18pm
Yeah, I think it's actually changing colors while I stare at it!

Amazing what they can do with paints these days!

Seriously, the "real" color that it is, is even sort of in between the two pictures of the same can!

If I set the actual can in front of my computer screen, with the two pics above showing, the actual can is a tad blue-er than the first pic, but a tad greener than the second!

Maybe I'll have to order a can of the GM blue and do some more comparing!
Inboards Rule!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 1:25pm
Craig,
Well, I know that's not your 312 pictured!!! Who's is it?

Bruce just did his 6 Interceptor in this thread And I do believe he ended up with the Detroit Alpine green. Take a look.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 1:45pm
I don't know if anyone's nailed the color, but here are some pics that ought to really confuse you.

This was taken from the diaries, it appears to be original.

Here's the engine in my son's Classic. PO went to great lengths to be original, but I think it's more of an old Ponitac 389 blue, rather than Interceptor green.

Here's my Interceptor that I just painted in GM Deisel Alpine Green. It is close based on the old paint under the oil fill cap, but I think it's brighter than the original color.

Here's the engine in Reid's Classic. I think the color is very close/

Here's one I got off the internet.

I have the pain code for my Sons Classic.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 1:46pm
Yeah Pete - I think you're the one who told me about the colors and I saw that one too.

They all look pretty close don't they?
This can (which is Plasti-kote) has a number 225 and ALPINE GREEN on the label. Is it possible they vary slightly among brands with even the same name and numbers?

I think that's a 312 picture I saved off of that "Keaton Boats" site (Keaton Boats formerly of California).   

Nice engine, huh?

Here's one of Don Spring's X-55's 312, which looks nice, but as you know, is a departure from original in several siginficant ways.

I'm thinking his 312, while it looks very nice, it a tad too green, and I'm wondering of that is the color I have (I don't really think so - I think this can is a shade blue-er).

Here's the boat this engine is in (just for fun):

Inboards Rule!
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 1:48pm
Thanks Bruce too - Posted here (above pics) before I saw your reply. Those are some pretty engines and more to look at and consider! From seeing those, I'm thinking I may stick with this Alpine Green I've got...

Pete, I think that first engine (above) is in this Keaton inboard:

Inboards Rule!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:12pm
And you've seen this one before! I feel the color does darken with age. Reid found that his paiter had some old can in the back! It may be a shde light. Go with the Alpine and see what it looks like.

Bruce,
The picture you found on the internet looks like Steve Hilpisch's Century with the down angle Dearbo! (and everyone thinks PCM invented it!!!)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 10:02pm
Is that your boat Pete? Wow, with only that amount of boat showing, it looks just like one I took of the Chris Sell Dunphy! Is it yours? I'm confused!

Hey, I can't post them cuz I don't have my cable with me, but I went ahead and sprayed just a little of the Alpine Green on a part of my 312 Interceptor that has been painted Ford blue (basically the valve covers and the exhaust manifolds) and took some pics.

The heads and many other parts are actually the original color and it looks like "side by side" with where I sprayed, the Alpine Green is going to be a great match! I'll post the shots tomorrow.
Inboards Rule!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 10:54pm
I was going to say that you would be better off to paint a part to check match rather than matching to a plastic cap-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 10:58pm
Chrysler big block green might work its close this picture makes it look a little more blue because of the color of the car under the hood. Just a thought.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 7:36am
Craig,
Yes, that's my 312. It's one in the batch of shots I sent to you for your reference.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 9:02am
Wow- there is some real eye candy in this thread. I'll have to do a search for more of Petes Dunphy.
70 Mustang project
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 10:31am
This is the same color Phats is referring to above in a more true sense. But I believe it's still more blue than the original Interceptor green is supposed to be. This Chrysler "green" as they call it reminds me to a much lesser degree of the crazy Dupont Mystic paint, as it looks different in so many different lights as Phats noted. As for the Interceptor, I know there's some old shop somewhere that has to have a can of that stuff, which someone could match. Pete, hasn't it ever been an ACBS topic or challenge?      
ReidP
1973 Mustang

64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 10:39am
Gary - Yes that was the ticket. Look at these pics. You can tell now the color is good I think.
Pete - I sort of thought that was yours!
Phatsat67 - Nice engine. What is it and what's it in?
h2ol00 - Prepare for some "reverse" eye candy (i.e. my old 312 in my old Dunphy. Nothing pretty here (yet) see pics below)...

See! Told You! Still pretty rough, but you can see the good match. The end of the portside exhaust manifold (near the exhaust hose) is the patch of new paint over the brighter (wrong) blue color. And then you can see the old oringinal paint for conparison on the head and here and there in the other two pics. I think the Alpine Green is a good choice even considering, what Pete said (somewhere above) about the faded with age factor. I'm fading with age a little myself!
Inboards Rule!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 10:53am
Here's a quesion for you guys with the older restored boats, referencing the very first set of pictures. Is it considered correct to detail the engine like that or just paint everything, nut, bolts, hose clamps, etc like the factory and some of the lower pictures. That first engine is beautiful but I'm sure not correct. At that point in the restoration is it a preference call by the owner? and does it hurt in judging a boat if it's detailed like that?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 11:08am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Pete, hasn't it ever been an ACBS topic or challenge?

Reid,
It's only more of a challenge as "newer" boats with the different engines are being restored. Eveyone knows what paint to use on the old Chryslers, Chris's, Grays, Kermaths, etc. The key with the "odd" engines is to get the color as close as possible and then it's not a issue. Interestingly, the hotter topic is the over restoration of engines. Polished and lacquered brass or acorn head bolt nuts come to mind (chromed is even worse)! The trend to originality is going back to the way the engines were done - The paint goes on almost before it goes out the factory door. That includes coolant hoses!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 11:15am
Alan,
The detailed 312 would get hit with a point deduction by the majority of ACBS judges.

A good example of detailed judging was a point deduction on a pre WWII upholstery job. The owner of the boat filed a complaint but didn't win. He used staples instead of tacks to attach his new upholstery.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

...The trend to originality is going back to the way the engines were done - The paint goes on almost before it goes out the factory door. That includes coolant hoses!!!

Pete- that takes me back to a few years ago at a car show. I was showing a 67 dodge and the bypass hose was painted along with the spring clamps. I was faulted heavily for this. What I found amusing is that this was the original bypass hose and had never been changed or altered and I had showroom floor photos to support it.

64x55- I'm one of those guys that looks at something and see it as it could be. Love your photos! However this ability often gets me into projects that should never have been started by me!!!
70 Mustang project
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 12:41pm
Gang, comparing colors on computer monitors of digital pictures is a total crapshoot. Of about a million factors in how the colors are going to look, a few would be:

- White balance of the camera
- Saturation levels of the camera
- Ambient Lighting/Flash of camera
- Color calibration of monitor
- Ambient light in the room that has the monitor

And so on and so fourth. The only way you're going to see if that paint cap matches paint on an engine is if you physically set the can next to the real engine in the same light!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Gang, comparing colors on computer monitors of digital pictures is a total crapshoot.

I agree. Look for a spot on the engine that looks to be original and then like I said, come as close as possible.

Interestingly I got a email for JD (nautique51). He's the one with the dial up problems and can barely get on CCfan. He saw this thread and here's some of his comment:

"When the original color wasn't available we had to color match to a hidden area that might not have been altered because of heat."

He's done a decent amount of antique and classic engines.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 3:09pm
Waterloo -- Thanks, of course I'm getting a little scared at this point. When I first saw it, it looked like this...
...and I had that vision of what it could be and the thought that it wasn't too bad, and it could look like this:

Guess we'll see, one way or another how it ends up. Lot's to do!

M3Fan -- You're right, but it sure is fun lookin' at all the purdy pictures!

Also, to compare the color within the same picture is accurate. Those last pics I posted of my engine (above) are enough for me. I'm going with the Alpine Green.
What do you think 2 more cans? Or 3 more? Already got one can. Will need to do the tranny too.
Inboards Rule!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 7:56pm
Thanks reid. Thats a much more true picture of what the color should look like. Craig, that is in a 67 GTX that I just scrubbed up online but It has the incorrect air cleaner on it. The plymouth motors said super commando and the dodge motors said magnum. It should have had dual snorkles on it.

But this isnt a mopar thred haha sorry.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 11:56pm
Phatsat67 -- GTX's were sweet! I saw one on the road a few weeks ago. Neat cars!
Inboards Rule!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2008 at 12:34am

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Gang, comparing colors on computer monitors of digital pictures is a total crapshoot.

I agree.

Definitely. Remember the 37 different varieties of Yucatan (yuckytan) Yellow we were looking at a few days ago.

But whatever color, there have been a bunch of good looking engines in this thread.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2008 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by h20loo h20loo wrote:

...The trend to originality is going back to the way the engines were done - The paint goes on almost before it goes out the factory door. That includes coolant hoses!!!

Pete- that takes me back to a few years ago at a car show. I was showing a 67 dodge and the bypass hose was painted along with the spring clamps. I was faulted heavily for this. What I found amusing is that this was the original bypass hose and had never been changed or altered and I had showroom floor photos to support it.

Doug,
The difference in the "preferred" method of restoration between automotive and marine I feel goes back to the common practice of auto customization. Dressing up a engine was so common that it is probably the accepted "restoration" on cars after WWII. I do know that the older auto restorations are judged in the same manor as boats. In other words, you don't go putting chrome head bolts on a 1933 Auburn
Boat Tail Speedster.

What organization was the judging under that dinged you? Does this organization have judging guidelines?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2008 at 12:46pm
Pete, that pic of the Interceptor I found on the internet does look like it's in a Century. It was on a site I googled about Dearbo trannies. It was a forum. Don't know who posted it.

I like that you can just spray the hoses, wires and everything else and be restore correct. Makes it much easier for the novice. And what a difference $20 in spray paint makes.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 9:49am
Bruce,
It's is surprising what a couple cans of paint can do!!

The picture you found on the internet has got to be Steve's Century. It's a single plank hull and I recognize the floor covering. It's also the first generation Y block exhaust manifolds like he has.

I had this picture here on my office computer before he dropped it in the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 9:55am
possible the first down angle? evolution
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 10:04am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

possible the first down angle? evolution

Eric,
This would be the mid to late 50's and I do believe it was. Eaton also made the Dearbo is a V drive. Same down angle box but the output was under the trans. I don't feel the Dearbo V was the first though. I've seen some very early 50's V's. Paragon??? (mechanicals)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic