NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paint color for Interceptor Engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 10:09am
no down angles out the back from Paragon, we tried in the 80's, couldnt get it to go, kept burning bearings and dollars
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 10:20am
the v's used u joints, bad idea as you know....Don cant figure that out... the new PCM v is the ticket, 2 gears no maintanance, its called the skivee, correct me if the spelling is wrong...to this day no one can cut a gear like our fellow Europeons,
I would imagine Walter's is searching for new business, I talked to a guy last week from somewhere (cant remember ***************)
He had a run in with Don, the conversation was quite amusing.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 10:39am
That down angle seems to be just an adaptor to the standard trans. Pretty simple.

I wonder why Eaton didn't improve their Dearbo rather then outsourcing to BW as their engines got more powerful?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

That down angle seems to be just an adaptor to the standard trans. Pretty simple.

I wonder why Eaton didn't improve their Dearbo rather then outsourcing to BW as their engines got more powerful?

Bruce,
The down angles bolted on to the tail ends just like a reduction drive does. Yes, pretty simple.

When the Dearbo trans had reached it's limit on HP's they had done everything possible to save the design like go to a self contained hyd. pump. However, the other components just couldn't handle it. I feel it was at that point that they realized that it was easier and cheaper to just buy the Velvets than to design/retool to a completely new trans. B/W had gotten the majority of the market by then anyway! It would have been a up hill battle!!

Eric,
I think the early V drives I'm thinking of are Chryslers. Not too many around. I've only seen a couple - In Shepards

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 12:09pm
GM needs 25 billion to re-tool, i would imagine the concept is the same, too much $$$$$ to re-tool
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2015 at 9:28am
[QUOTE=reidp] This is the same color Phats is referring to above in a more true sense. But I believe it's still more blue than the original Interceptor green is supposed to be. This Chrysler "green" as they call it reminds me to a much lesser degree of the crazy Dupont Mystic paint, as it looks different in so many different lights as Phats noted.     

The first generation Interceptor engine color has been on my mind for years. I came across a case of touch up made for refrigeration compressors and it's damn close. It's marked as a "seafoam green" and not the "alpine green" that many have thought was close. I sprayed some so now I'm ready to start my 312 rebuild when needed. Even though internet color really isn't a good example, I did search out seafoam and it sure is closer than the alpine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2015 at 6:43am
Pete, from what I have found there are 2 shades used,darker on Interceptor flat side logs early 60's on....more light blue on 50's round log engines. I have a set of round logs still with factory paint I will use to match.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2015 at 9:15am
Roger,
I have the later 60's 312 so I feel the sea foam green I've been looking at is appropriate. I agree that the 50's engines were painted slightly lighter. I've been looking since I've never felt the alpine green some have used is correct. The next time I'm over at my Sherwin Williams store, I'm going to take a close look at their color chips since they can custom mix an alkyd.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic