Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carter YH Carbs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2008 at 1:52pm
Pete - Hope you can find it (the Carter's cfm). It seemed to me like we were thinking that the 2 together would equal around 500 cfm?
On the break-in (you guys were discussing), again, "it seems to me" like when I put the PCM 351 in my Cobalt, they recommended running it for a minimum of twenty minutes at no more that (I think) 2500 RPM's (or thereabouts) and then little spurts maybe of a bit more and a bit less, but not Wide Open at first (forget how long -- I know this is a great help ins't it)?
It's been 9 years ago now and I've only ever done an install once, but that's what I seem to remember.
What I remember "most clearly" about "break in day" was that there was this stupid Bayliner pulling along side me looking like he wanted to race a little and I couldn't (wouldn't) go any faster until it was broke in! I figured my boat was quite a bit faster (does mid 50's and with older engine did high 50's), but I couldn't punch the throttle yet at that point!
Later found out that that particular Bayliner was actually pretty quick. It would run in the mid fifties, which I don't think most Bayliners could do in the approx. 1999 time period. I think it had a 350 Chevy.
Inboards Rule!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2008 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by 64X55 64X55 wrote:

Pete - Hope you can find it (the Carter's cfm). It seemed to me like we were thinking that the 2 together would equal around 500 cfm?

Craig,
You've always had a knack for doing searches on line. I did 3 different key word searches and about 10 pages each and came up with nothing!! Maybe the old carbs didn't have CFM ratings!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 2:10am
Riley,

Any chance you have a pic of the engine from the front?
I changed the intake to accept a Holley and need to see how it's plumbed.

Thanks
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 9:30am
Gary, This is all I've got for now. I'll be going up to my camp this weekend and can take some others if you need them.

I'd like to see some pictures of your Classic. Ours was owned by a guy you had been talking to on line a few years ago, (Hammer).

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 10:29am
Pete's going to hammer you.
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 11:14am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Pete's going to hammer you.

I already took care of the "keep it original" working him over!! It was even before Bruce picked up the Classic! Bruce is going to need the upholstered Frizbie on top of the dog house like Reids.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 2:17pm
Pete, Reid's is too subtle, we're going with one of these.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 2:38pm
Bruce, You'd better get two of them. The other one you can stick over my eyes when I come to visit. I'll probably need some Imodium AD too!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 2:44pm
I saw an old ratty Atom Skier with one of those a few years ago in Freeport, ME.

I like Reid's. It looks like it's off of an old TBird.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 3:31pm
Funny Stuff!

Pete - I'll look - see there's the issue - you said you looked at 3 word searches. Ya gotta look at a zillion or so; then you'll find stuff!

Let me check....
Inboards Rule!
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 6:10pm

Okay, here we go – This reply will be really messy and disconnected (sorry) but has some good info. on the YH carbs and a possible CFM number we were discussing above:

Carb Doctor web site's email = doc@carburetor.ca <doc@carburetor.ca>
I e-mailed this guy with the question: How many CFM for the Carter YH?
Hopefully he'll pass some info. back my way.
Carb Doc Phone # : 780-968-6622

Nice diagram with lots of data from a 1952 to 1955 Nash car (Ambassador) that used YH carbs at this site:
http://oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Carbs/Carter/Nash/pages/p_%2040_jpg.htm

Old Corvette web site – 6 cyl. Used the YH Carter carb:
http://www.carburetor.ca/pdf_manuals/Carter/YHmanuals1.pdf
or:
http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/Carter/YH/index.htm
(same thing – "non pdf" – i.e. just click on a page to view)

Corvairs used them too...

Here's a site (Black Hawk Engineering) that seems to indicate that the YH's original CFM was 128 (CFM) if I'm reading correctly:   
http://www.blackhawkengr.com/
Quote from site:
"The throttle body has a 1.83" bore to fit the F flow (180 HP) turbocharger inlet bore. The Performance Trends "Engine Analyzer" simulation software predicts that the throttle body will flow 256 CFM versus 128 CFM for the original "180 HP" YH carburetor. With the boost limited to 12 PSI for longevity, Engine Analyzer predicts 193 HP net versus the 148 net HP of the stock "180 HP" system. The EFI system is able to produce better fuel economy despite generating more power. I will also manufacture smaller throttle bodies for the B-flow (150 HP) turbochargers."

If 128CFM is correct, I guess that means "two" would do only 256CFM?

Another link to the same info. (same site). It's a fuel injection throttle body for turbosharged Corvairs that also used the YH carbs (Wow! Pretty interesting stuff!):   
http://www.blackhawkengr.com/Black%20Hawk%20Engineering%20-%20Bolt%20On%20Turbo%20Fuel%20Injection.htm

Ooo! Another site that says 128CFM --- "4 each Carter YH (sidedraft) carbs from a 6-cylinder Corvette bolt to the triangular flanges.......I think that Turbo Corvairs and some Nashes also used these carbs. I wonder how well it ran with that setup? You'd think it would be better with a divider in the runners...?The carbs I think are 128 CFM each X 4 = 512 CFM. You are right, sounds kind of undercarbed for a 331. At 4800 RPM it should use 542 CFM (if my math is right)."
Site Link:http://caddy500.com/index.php?topic=336.25;wap2

And here's a cool site that shows what CFM you should have based on the c.i. vs the max RPM's expected (recommended):
http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/carb_cfm.htm
This stie also has a nifty "enter your RPM's and C.I.'s and get your needed CFM for a carb" chart!
Or an equation to do it by hand.

And another similar site: http://slitherclothing.wordpress.com/2007/06/29/how-to-calculate-correct-carb-size/

In each case, it looks like, if you use the 312 Interceptor as an example, it yields a CFM a good bit higher than what 128CFM x 2 would be (256CFM), assuming the two sites referenced above are right about only 128 CFM for the Carter YH side drafts.

Man, this is almost as much fun as playing with Propeller Calculators, but I'm whipped from staring at the computer screen to long! I think my eye sockets are gonna need some PB Blaster soon if I don't stop now!
Inboards Rule!
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2008 at 7:19pm
I may even still have a 4 bbl intake and edelbrock carb lying around here somewhere. We put a 3-2 setup on Dads 56 over the summer...
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2008 at 11:38am
Originally posted by 63CCSN 63CCSN wrote:

Hi all!

I'm looking for rebuilt Carter Sidedraft Carbs for my 312 Interceptor. Anyone know of a source for them? I believe they are YH's.

Thanks!

Try Here
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2008 at 9:34am
Yo Pete,

I just caught up with this one also........

Man you just had to use me as an example didn't you?

I promise that the next one will be original!

paul,

1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2019 at 9:53pm
OLD THREAD REVIVAL:

I surrender. I've rebuilt my YH carbs twice, and sent them out to a recommended rebuild service, all to no avail. Still have fuel flowing out the aft carb choke horn.
Has anyone found someone who can actually get these carbs to work properly without being a fire hazard?
I don't want to rile the Brainard overlord or originality, but if I must... thx
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 12:45am
Brian,
I bought my X55 in 1976 and I've never had the fuel problem. I rebuilt my YH's in 2009 and again never had the problem. The trick is NOT following the float level setting per the instructions. The instructions are written for automotive when the carbs are level. Lower the aft level. The forward may need to be raised.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 9:40am
Forget originality and get rid of the carters is the most efficient way of eliminating the problem. Want to satisfy the original mongers you can simply block off the rear carb port on the manifold and run with one. If I read your past post on researching them correctly the cfm remains similar. I did read a post in the past there one of the Meloons had done this. Personally I have had my share of boat fires from these carbs and am done with them for life. Want some I have three complete assemblies. Also have a couple AMC 327 engines for sale.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 10:30am
Brian,
I encourage you to at least try to set the float levels before abandoning or modifying the YH set up. It's always hard to hear about a fire like Jack's especially since he's one of us. Fires do happen and few of them are caused by the YH carbs. There are way more great running YH setups running out there than ones that dump fuel. As mentioned, float levels are they key to the YH's performing as designed. I remember running into Ken Meloon one year discussing the problem and was surprised that he didn't fully understand the cause of dumping fuel out the aft YH. He did mention blocking/disabling the aft YH but I also seem to remember he had ether the 272 or 292 so performance may not have been as big an issue as on a 312.

Give the float level adjustment a try. It's the most efficient way.

BTW, my 312 is running great and no fuel out the aft YH.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The trick is NOT following the float level setting per the instructions. The instructions are written for automotive when the carbs are level. Lower the aft level. The forward may need to be raised.

Yes, I have the Interceptor manual with the 'marine' float settings which were carefully followed....
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 6:58pm

Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

OLD THREAD REVIVAL:

I surrender. I've rebuilt my YH carbs twice, and sent them out to a recommended rebuild service, all to no avail. Still have fuel flowing out the aft carb choke horn.
Has anyone found someone who can actually get these carbs to work properly without being a fire hazard?
I don't want to rile the Brainard overlord or originality, but if I must... thx

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The trick is NOT following the float level setting per the instructions. The instructions are written for automotive when the carbs are level. Lower the aft level. The forward may need to be raised.

Yes, I have the Interceptor manual with the 'marine' float settings which were carefully followed....

I guess this makes Pete the "Overlord of the leakers"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 7:47pm

Brian,
Again, all I can suggest is to try lowering the aft float level.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 11:55pm
Ok....I'll have another lash.
If I understand the Interceptor manual ( I'm 66 but read at a 5th grade level) it says front float 9/16" aft float 7/16". Just triple-checking....thx.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 7:04am
Brian,
Yes, that's what the manual says. IF I remember I started with those dimensions when I rebuilt and then did lowered the aft slightly more say 3/8.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Extratx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extratx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2019 at 3:29pm
I just rebuilt the YH carbs on my X-55 (see new post in off topic about my boat) last week, and used the interceptor manual posted on this site to set the float levels. Got my rebuild kits from Mike's Carbs. I was having the leaking issue, which is now gone after correctly setting the floats and replacing all the parts. One thing I noticed is there is a brass line from the rear spark arrestor bottom to the front of the throttle plate, providing vacuum where fuel would pool if it leaks out of the carb. There is always a little fuel spray back from carbs, and given the arrestor design, without a vacuum to remove the fuel, it will overflow after time. Check to see your boat still has this little brass line, and that it is free flowing. See picture with red circle. It is possible this has been blocked off sometime in the past.

Extratx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extratx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2019 at 3:42pm
One more thing. When you have your floats out, dip them in fairly hot water, say around 120 degrees F, and look carefully for any tiny bubbles. If you see bubbles, your float has a hole. The hot water expands the air in the float and will push out some air if it isn't sealed. If you have bubbles, locate the source, and solder that guy back closed after making sure there isn't any fuel or water in the float.
Extratx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extratx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2019 at 7:01pm
One more one more thing. On one of my two carbs, getting the needle seat screwed all the way in and tight against the sealing ring was a real bear. It felt tight, but it wasn't. If this is the case, the needle will stop the flow through the seat, but fuel will continue to flow around the seat. I used a tiny watch repair screwdriver to reach in and wiggle that sealing ring to make sure the needle seat had actually seated. Took a bit of in and out and lube to get the needle seat seated. You can also measure the seat distance compared to your other carb to make sure its screwed all the way in.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2019 at 2:32pm
Thanks Extratx for the reply.
I know these carb can be made to work....I just haven't found/corrected the leak source.
I do have the tiny vacuum tube installed and working. The floats themselves and the 'seating' of the needle/seat is something requiring more attention.

Thanks for the tip(s)...will report when rebuilt yet again. I'm also going to pressure test the float bowl for crack/porosity, and anything else anyone can think of...
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2019 at 2:35pm
One more thing...I revived this old thread to find a reliable carb rebuilder, it has morphed into a "engine maintenance" or "off-topic" thread, so with apologies to the moderators, maybe it should be moved...don't mean to clutter the "General Discussion" area
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2019 at 2:40pm
Ha
Extratx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extratx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 1:55pm
Give it one more try. Can you pinpoint where the fuel is coming from? Is it just coming out the throat or leaking out the bottom? Fortunately the float bowl work can all be done with the carbs still attached to the intake, and the intake on the boat, so yanking the float tops only takes 10 minutes or so.

I'd love to hear that you get it sealed up and running right. My recommendation is never send carbs off by themselves. If you have carbs rebuilt, they should be by a mechanic on the boat, so that they can be tested and corrected before you get them back. Sending them to someone else, they have no way of testing the work was correct.

I'll make you a deal. Give it your best effort, and if they still leak, send me your intake with carbs attached, and two new rebuild kits. I will rebuild them and put your stack on my boat to test them to make sure they are correct, Gratis. I've already received tons of help from you guys which is invaluable to me.

BTW I've been a motorcycle mechanic for 20 years, so I've rebuilt hundreds of carbs and chased all sorts of issues with them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic