NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Breather elbow/hose

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breather elbow/hose
    Posted: November-26-2008 at 1:47pm
When I bought the boat, the port side valve cover hole (I believe this is the breather, PCV is on other side) did not have a hose running to the arrestor. My question is, what type of fitting goes in that hole, and along with that, what size/type of hose do I need to run to the arrestor? I'm assuming these are all simple auto/hardware store items.

Forgive me as I will probably ask a lot of pretty simple questions that could probably be answered if I were to just look at my boat, but unfortunately it's about 130 miles away in a nice heated storage area, for free I might add.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 2:11pm
I think it's just a breather to the outside air, 1/4 turn or a push-in thru a rubber grommet depends on the valve cover.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 2:14pm
I'm not sure of the exact size, maybe 1/2" ID...possibly 5/8". Mine had a steel fitting in the valve cover and I ran the hose down by eye. Both ends of this hose in the pic were longer when I bought it. I just looked through a selection, but I have no idea of its intended use.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 2:23pm
Use the Diaries for reference pictures.

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Use the Diaries for reference pictures.

That helps. Thanks Hollywood.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 2:56pm
HW-Is that a thermostat laying on the SB valve cover? And why is the PCV attached to the front? My wedge plate has the port on the rear.
1988 BFN-sold

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 3:01pm
Yea, looks like a t-stat to me.

You have a wedge plate? I suppose if it is just a flat plate it could be put on one of 4 ways.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 3:23pm
I was told by someone who should know that my wedge was factory equipment. It brings the carb close to level.
1988 BFN-sold

86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 5:00pm
Here's a link to Arresters and fitting. Hope this might help ya.

Flame Arresters and fitting
-Steve the Pirate
86 Barefoot Nautique

Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I was told by someone who should know that my wedge was factory equipment. It brings the carb close to level.

a spacer was but not the wedge version. So maybe he's not.......
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2008 at 12:54am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

a spacer was but not the wedge version. So maybe he's not.......

Remember, Chris- he has a BBC, not a SBF... but I have never seen a PCM of any type with a wedge.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2008 at 9:29am
Maybe someone with a 'virgin' 454 in my year range can take a peek at their's?

Not to 'sling any mud', but this guy really should know.
1988 BFN-sold

86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2008 at 3:59pm

I believe mine has a wedge from the factory. Can't see it in this picture, other than the difference in angle between the head and the carb. it's tucked in right now so I can't check it.
-Steve the Pirate
86 Barefoot Nautique

Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2011 at 6:14pm
Sorry to bring this back from the dead... As we put the finishing touches on assembling our OMC 454, I cant put my hands on the darn breather elbow...

A quick call to SkiDIM revealed a part number: R024013A Its a pricey elbow at $12, but at least I know it will fit in our grommet!
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2011 at 6:32pm
Blast from the past. Forgot I even asked about that.

I believe I ended up finding one at O'Reilly's (2 years ago) that probably isn't the exact OEM elbow, but it fit the bill at <$5. It was in with all the other PCV valves and fittings. It fit the grommet nicely.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic