NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

leaf spring

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 9:23pm
Thank you! Appreciate it. looks great!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 1:20am
Curious......with the new springs, did you purchase LRD tires to match the spring rating?? Looking for LRD tires but having a hard time finding LRD rims matching the tire rating. Personally, I would like to match all components. Thanks
CCATW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 6:32pm
I can understand wanting a little more wiggle room, but I don't know enough to advise. The tire folks led me to believe I'd be fine w/ LR C tire, rated at 1760lb each. I recall them mentioning it was the side loads that's the most concern which wasn't a big factor in my case. Keep in mind I don't do much trailering, only 2 trips / year at less than one mile each way so my exposure is low. Also, my axle of course is only rated at 3500lb as I recall which puts boat and trailer near the top end of all these ratings. Good luck w your decision.

FYI, the tire fender clearance worked out well w/ the boat loaded, one of my concerns. Unfortunately, my prop clearance on the prop guard didn't, it's barely touching. My original trailer had a double set of boards which I understood I didn't need... but now I may have to go back and add a 2X4 spacer under the bunks. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has run into this issue.

FYI here's a picture of the completed trailer w/ boat loaded... I haven't installed the carpeted step panels as of yet.       
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 6:50pm
Thanks Ralph for sharing as it makes complete sense. Your trailer and stands looks great. Good work!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by CCATW CCATW wrote:

Also, my axle of course is only rated at 3500lb

What
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 10:20am
Originally posted by OldSchoolBlue84 OldSchoolBlue84 wrote:

Looking for LRD tires but having a hard time finding LRD rims matching the tire rating. Personally, I would like to match all components. Thanks

Bought a new set of Goodyear Marathons from Wally World last summer along with a new set of rims from a site that TRBenj suggested. The OEM rims were rusting and beat up a bit. Shouldn't have a issue finding both.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Looking for LRD tires but having a hard time finding LRD rims matching the tire rating. Personally, I would like to match all components. Thanks

Bought a new set of Goodyear Marathons from Wally World last summer along with a new set of rims from a site that TRBenj suggested. The OEM rims were rusting and beat up a bit. Shouldn't have a issue finding both.

What was the site. I was trying to find these.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

For a ‘88?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 1:12pm
Hey Tim, I am looking for options for my 84 other then the painted white rims I found etrailer. Thanks

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Kenda/AM32161.html
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 1:50pm
Erring a little high on the tire load range isn’t a terrible idea, but I don’t see much point in going excessively high on any of the “hard” parts. 5-lug axles and bearings will be 3500lb capacity, 6-lug will be 5200/6000lb (depending on which outer bearing is used). Do not get too caught up on load range letters, they are helpful to compare within a given size (say, 14” tires) but the actual weight capacity will vary within a size to some extent and will vary greatly between sizes. A load range D 12” tire may have a 1200 lb capacity whereas a load range D 15” tire may have a 2500 lb capacity.

An ‘84 #3 trailer should have been a 5-lug (3500lb) with 14” wheels. They went to 6-lug 15” (5200lb) in late 85 or 86. Can you confirm what you have, Kostas?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 2:18pm
I have the 5 lug on my trailer. Will be putting on the 5k springs and was looking to purchase a set of LRD close to the 2,040# capacity to get me over the 3,500# to have some additional insurance. I have been getting some inner tire wear which I believe it’s due to the original springs age or trailering with full tank of gas and gear. The allighment, tire presssure as well as bearings have been checked and verified. I am probably overthinking it. Thanks guys
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 2:26pm
Did you check the spindles when you replaced bearings? Worn springs shouldn’t cause uneven tire wear, but a bent spindle, loose bearing/hub or an overloaded axle (that is deflecting) would.   Check hangers for straightness and replace all your bushings when you replace the springs. I’d replace the bolts as well.

One option for chrome 14” wheels:

http://www.trailer-wheels.com/14x6-inch-Chrome-Spoke-Steel-Trailer-Wheel-5-Lug-1900-lb-Max-Load_p_578.html

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 2:33pm
It’s been around 4-5 years when I changed the bearings but never payed to much attention to the spindles. Tire wear started maybe around 2 years ago. The plan is to change all components including springs, bushings and bolts as you guys mentioned in this thread. It may not be a bad idea to change the spindles while upgrading everything else. Thanks again for your help!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 3:03pm
Spindles are part of the axle and not easily replaced (no one here in CT does it)... could mean full axle replacement if you find issues.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Spindles are part of the axle and not easily replaced (no one here in CT does it)... could mean full axle replacement if you find issues.

bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 4:35pm

I have the 5 lug on my trailer. Will be putting on the 5k springs and was looking to purchase a set of LRD close to the 2,040# capacity to get me over the 3,500# to have some additional insurance. I have been getting some inner tire wear which I believe it’s due to the original springs age or trailering with full tank of gas and gear. The allighment, tire presssure as well as bearings have been checked and verified. I am probably overthinking it. Thanks guys
spindle nut not being snug enough would cause negative camber and wear issues as you describe. As would a flexing axle due to overloading? I don't believe the springs would make an impact. How does the trailer go down the road?   Maybe time for 6 lug axle swap?
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 6:08pm

I have the 5 lug on my trailer. Will be putting on the 5k springs and was looking to purchase a set of LRD close to the 2,040# capacity to get me over the 3,500# to have some additional insurance.

If it were me I would stay away from a 5200 lb axle.   I just put a new Dexter 3500# axle under my new trailer that I am building. It has 1 1/16" outer bearings and 1 3/8 inner bearings. Plenty stout.   The problem with "over springing" a trailer is that your load is not enough to make the spring actually work and you end up transferring all of the road humps and bumps to the boat and have no cushioning effect. Sort of where the "log wagon" term comes about. I doubt that your present axle has been flexing. Old springs tend to wear out and are no longer capable of the load they were made for.   JMO   Duane
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 6:19pm
Living near the "RV capital" of the world helps out on getting trailer parts.   We can get a complete ready to hang new (3500) axle setup for $135.00 That includes everything but the tires and wheels. Springs included.   Axles (3500) with electric brakes are under $200.00. I talked to the Dexter rep and he says that the electric setup WILL work in a boat trailer setup. Everything is sealed.
I opted for a surge brake setup only because I wanted disc brakes. Added that to my new CC trailer and just installed the same on my Ranger bass boat trailer.

ps. go to the Johnsonsurplussupply site check out the trailer parts. White Pigeon, Michigan
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 6:23pm

Kostas,
Regarding spindle replacement, give a couple trailer shops and welding shops a call before you condemn the axle. Unlike CT. in the Midwest people do know how to weld metal!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

I have the 5 lug on my trailer. Will be putting on the 5k springs and was looking to purchase a set of LRD close to the 2,040# capacity to get me over the 3,500# to have some additional insurance.

The problem with "over springing" a trailer is that your load is not enough to make the spring actually work and you end up transferring all of the road humps and bumps to the boat and have no cushioning effect. Sort of where the "log wagon" term comes about.

Duane,
I completely agree on "over springing". I have actually installed 2500lb springs on a 3500lb axle to match the actual load. Major difference from riding like a rock to a baby carriage!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

in the Midwest people do know how to weld metal!

Seem to remember running across one or two.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

in the Midwest people do know how to weld metal!

Seem to remember running across one or two.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 7:07pm
The 5k springs should work well on a 2001- with the delux trailer you’re near 3500lbs before you add gas, cooler or ski gear. I’ve used them on a 80’s #4 carrying a similar load and they ride very well. Leaf count and thickness is on par with the factory set up. They are too much spring for the lighter 2-gen SN and standard #3, however (IMHO).

Maybe it has to do with labor rates or implied liability, but none of the trailer shops would touch my bent spindle a few years ago... and they were clearly set up for more serious work than that. New axle they all said. While not the same solid stuff that came on the older trailers, the hollow dexter axle kits are very reasonably priced.

If you do end up with a new axle I would absolutely upgrade to the 5200lb version as the aforementioned 2001 weight is line on line with the older 3500lb set up and is surely why cc started overbuilding them soon after. The peace of mind that comes with the extra capacity (and ability to load the boat with equipment) sure is nice for longer hauls. I went through this on the BFN a few years ago.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 7:25pm

The 5k springs should work well on a 2001- with the delux trailer you’re near 3500lbs before you add gas, cooler or ski gear.
If you do end up with a new axle I would absolutely upgrade to the 5200lb version as the aforementioned 2001 weight is line on line with the older 3500lb set up and is surely why cc started overbuilding them soon after. The peace of mind that comes with the extra capacity (and ability to load the boat with equipment) sure is nice for longer hauls. I went through this on the BFN a few years ago.

Good point Tim. I am not up on the weights as you are. Matching spring weight to trailer /boat load is important
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 10:26pm
Wow lots of good information to absorb! Appertiate the comments.

Duane, Johnson’s surplus is awesome. That’s were I purchased the trailer tires I have now. Can not complain for mediocre tires that lasted 5 years, even longer if the inner did not wear out . Is that were you purchased your new axle?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by bwinn bwinn wrote:

spindle nut not being snug enough would cause negative camber and wear issues as you describe. As would a flexing axle due to overloading? I don't believe the springs would make an impact. How does the trailer go down the road?   Maybe time for 6 lug axle swap?[/QUOTE]

It seems to trailer great. I do get some movement left to right above 60. I have more investigating to do
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 11:43pm
Even nonexistent bushings don’t cause wandering in my experience (but they’ll make a racket and look scary). Check tongue weight #1 if it wags at speed.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2018 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

Here is the where I ended up getting the rims from:

Rims for the 87' SN Trailer
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2018 at 6:40pm
Well....all in and just a waiting game also for the UPS to deliver the mechanic to install Thanks everyone for providing links and sites to get everything.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 11:35pm
Finally getting to install everything. So far so good but I do have one question. How tight to you tighten the shackle bolts? Snug or enough to allow some movement between the links and spring? Appreciate it. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic