Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

leaf spring

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leaf spring
    Posted: November-29-2008 at 9:53pm
hey guys wel for the ones that know from ethanol thread i rebuilt my carb and everything to hit the beach well were not goin anywere our leafspring broke from rust.

it only has one spring left and the first time we pull it of the sidewalk it will break completly so we wan't to replace both of them.
my brother found a website that sells spring but i have absoloutly no idea wich one we should purchase and i really need it fast since my patciance is running out for use the boat.
if none will work can someone post one that will work?

1986 sn original trailer

leaf spring site
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2008 at 10:09pm
Ko,
You do not what one of the "slipper" springs. Both end of your springs have "eyes"

Measure the center eye to center eye distance on the existing springs. Compare that to the sizes your brother found on the web site. The old ones will be slightly longer that what you find listed due to them sagging over the years.

Your 86 weighs 2400lbs dry. Add some weight for the trailer and the 1800 or 1750 (each) will be fine.

You may want to replace the shackles and bolts too. Of course it's not like your traveling great distances at interstate speeds ether!!!

hanger kit

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 3:29am
CC trailers use oddball axles and springs. I doubt you'll find any online trailer store who carries what you need. Your best bet is to find someone local who can build you what you need- or call Woody at SECC and pray he has something in stock!
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 3:37am
yup if i replace i'll replace it completly..
your right pete we don't travel long nor fast... what can happen if i remove the springs?? will i get in trouble due to weight?? will the axle break or something like that?

not great news tim i doubt there is someone here to make it for us if i do find one i better had bought a new trailer ( dramatic) but you could imagine what they charge.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 11:09am
Ko,
If no luck with OEM springs, buy two springs from the site you found as close the the original length as possible. You need the hanger kit anyway for the shackles and bolts but it also comes with the hanger brackets. Have a local welder cut the original brackets off the trailer and weld on the new ones at the proper center distance (same as unsprung spring length) I did when I converted to a monoleaf.

Wow, This picture sure brings out the fact that I'm going to have to repaint soon!!!

Yes you need springs. You need them to cushion all the bumps so the axle doesn't see lots of extra forces from inertia - the weight of the boat and trailer plus the kinetic energy from the downward movement of this weight. (if you drop a 100lb. weight on the ground, the ground see's more than 100lbs)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 2:05pm
wel i guess i should break out my wallet for some new spings thnx pete i'll measure any probs i'll ask..
gonna put the carb back on so she can atleast start haha
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 2:49pm
Ko,
It's been several years since I bought the mono leaf spring set. I got them from Northern Tool but they no longer carry them. Get your brother searching again because in your case, the mono's may be a good idea. They won't trap salt water between the leaves. I know you rinse down the trailer but doubt you get the salt water out from deep down between the spring leaves. It may be the reason they failed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 3:53pm
that'r right pete we wash down but i know 100% that we don't get it good enough. we just measured it is 33.5 inch and 6 springs. but if a find a mono i would get that.
but can we use the trailer like it is? i'll snap a pic and you can tell me if i can or can't. we only trailer maybe 1 mile and drive about 30 km/h so not fast and not long.

we have some family down here from netherlands so we really need it to be done haha they've been waiting a year to get a ride in it
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 4:23pm
wel no it's not usable i just went to take the pics and saw that the wheel was hitting the fender mount i don't know if it has something to do with the spring being broken or somoe other pprobs but the boat isn't going anywere..
i'll begin cheking to find OEM parts. maybe more expensive but faster.

thnx for the help as always guys
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 6:58pm
I had a set of springs made off of my original ones from a place in Michigan it was about 120 bucks a side and they were a perfect match of the original rusted out ones.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2008 at 6:31pm
wAS THAT A PICTURE OF THE AXLE FROM THE TRAILER NEEDING THE SPRINGS? IF SO IT IS NOT A CORRECT CRAFT TRAILER AS THEY USED A SOLID SQUARE BAR FOR THERE AXLE. ALSO HAD 6 LEAFS IN THERE SPRINGS. THEY ARE STILL AVAILABLE FROM WOODY AT SECC
woodyelc
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2008 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by k.o. k.o. wrote:

our leafspring broke from rust.

it only has one spring left and the first time we pull it of the sidewalk it will break completly so we wan't to replace both of them.

1986 sn original trailer

leaf spring site

Woody,
You'll see that KO started the thread and in his first post identified the trailer.

The picture you are referring to is mine. It's a MC copy of a CC! Don't worry, it's not used for a CC but rather my X55!! I posted it as a suggestion to using a mono leaf rater than the 6 leaf CC spring.

If you read more of the post, you'll see that KO's located in Aruba so the trailer is in and out of the ocean. The thought is that even though the boat and trailer is washed down, the multi-leaf springs are trapping salt water way down inside them causing premature failure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2008 at 7:32pm
I replaced the leaf springs on boat trailers several times. Most recently I bought the springs from NAPA. I have ordered them through trailer supply stores in the past.

The measurement is from eye to eye. However, if your springs are worn down, then the measurement is not correct. That is because in worn out springs the rear shackle is angled toward the back of the boat.

The good springs the shackles face forward. Just get springs that have similar leaf configurations and measure from the front eye to a point where the shackle should be facing forward.

I have never paid more than $100 for a pair of springs.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2008 at 12:07am
wel i emailed SECC and nautiques of orlando still no email back. if anyone knows the prices from any of those store let me know

right now the tire is pressed against the fendermount. i think i'll start searching in the junkyard to see if i'm lucky to find something to work with. i went to one of our boat supply shops i ran from prices and they weren't even close match they were over 120$ so really not going that way.

i will be lifting the boat very soon of the trailer and put it on brick scared to do that but have no other choice. all repair must be done in front of my house since the trailer can't move anymore.

i was actually cheking a few hours ago to see if there is an ghetto fix but realised better do it right so i won't damage the axle
the mono leaf would be ideal for our waters but for now i will work with anything that will do the job.

woody i think your the woddy of secc. So can you please sent me info about the springs you have available???
kenrick_oduber@hotmail.com

thnx guys i will uload photo when i lift the boat of the trailer
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2008 at 8:47am
Leaf springs are not specialty items. Understand that you are not in the continental United States, but...I would suppose that you could take your busted springs to a mechanic and he can get replacement springs, build new ones, or repair the ones you have now using leafs from other vehicles and/or trailers.

If not, try searching for trailer supply stores:

trailer parts depot

I bought from these folks before. You can get all of the replacement parts you need.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2008 at 10:57am
repairing is no option since it broke completly. we have a guy that does all the repairs on watersport rentals. today or tomorow i will look in junkyards too take one of a pickup or somthing like that.

i know spring should be easy but evrything for these boat here are specialty the don't carry no spare parts for ski boats here

hope to get everything going before the visit of a fellow member or else we have to ride in a ski brendella
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2008 at 11:16am
Originally posted by SkiBum SkiBum wrote:

Leaf springs are not specialty items.

Bill, They are when the CC trailer has been made by CC! The 34.5" - 35" eye to eye is the kicker! It's why I mentioned the new shackle brackets being welded on as a option.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2008 at 11:28am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Bill, They are when the CC trailer has been made by CC! The 34.5" - 35" eye to eye is the kicker! It's why I mentioned the new shackle brackets being welded on as a option.

that's why i emailed seccd en nautiques of orlando first but heard nothing back..
we will go your way pete just get short ones that hold 1500 each and make extension for them
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2008 at 1:45pm

Exactly. Good luck finding those specialty CC springs elsewhere! I brought my #2 to a trailer supply/repair place, and they didnt know what the heck they were looking at- they had to have them custom made.

KO, your best bet is to pick up the phone and call Woody. 407-851-1965
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2008 at 1:57pm
i'll call after lunch to se what he can do my father is on his way right now to the mechanic to see if i should order a spring or he will make on to fit it.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2008 at 4:41pm
Sorry i have not got back to you on the springs. they are 30 inch 6 leaf I can get them your cost would be $81.00 each plus shipping. Let me know if would like to order. Thanks Woody
woodyelc
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2008 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by woodyelc woodyelc wrote:

Sorry i have not got back to you on the springs. they are 30 inch 6 leaf I can get them your cost would be $81.00 each plus shipping. Let me know if would like to order. Thanks Woody

woody thnx i'll let you know i'll chek local first to see if i can find something used. if not i'll ground ship it to port everglades and let my gf shipping company bring it..
thnx for the info. you'll hear from me soon
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 3:46pm
so guys we spoke to the mechanic yesterday he knows trailers very good since he works for every beachbums trailer that needs to be repaired.
He told us to eliminate the leafsprings since we don't travel neither far or with high speed. he said he would reinforce the axle and make some extra brackets to hold the axle to the trailer. if all is goes well we should be back in the water saterday just in time for ccf member visit.

my girlfrieds father will raise the boat with a forklift and leave it on the forklift since the job would only take 3 hours. will this be any stress to the hull?? he is planing to use a long fork from behind to lift it of the trailer. any cons of doing it this way??

thnx guys
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 3:53pm

Yes you need springs. You need them to cushion all the bumps so the axle doesn't see lots of extra forces from inertia - the weight of the boat and trailer plus the kinetic energy from the downward movement of this weight. (if you drop a 100lb. weight on the ground, the ground see's more than 100lbs)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 3:55pm

my girlfrieds father will raise the boat with a forklift and leave it on the forklift since the job would only take 3 hours. will this be any stress to the hull?? he is planing to use a long fork from behind to lift it of the trailer. any cons of doing it this way??

thnx guys

Not a problem as long as he uses long forks. I'd say at least 8 to 10 feet. Space the fork about the same distance as the stringer width. BTW, rack stored boats are lifted this way all the time.

So, not springs on the trailer! Drive slow k.o.!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 4:06pm
the guy said the tires would obsorb all the bumps that we will encounter buy the truth is i'm afraid of this shortcut. i'll let it go for now and when i have some extra cash i'll order or let my gf father buy them for me from woody.
don't worry pete we drive slow. can't go over 40 km/h since we don't travel on highway. the distance is less then 3 miles to travel so we'll se how it turns out.

it is long fork but i think it isn't long enough to be in the comfort zone. either way they will lift it eitehr with forklift or a container sideloader
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 4:12pm
3 miles at 25mph, yikes! How good are these roads? I hope theyre smooth... Id be scared to drive up the driveway with no springs on my trailer! Sounds like a recipe for a cracked hull to me.
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 4:18pm
wel tim the roads vary depanding on wich route we take it's smooth. but yes Aruba's roads are bumpy.
i think we'll have to think about this very good. realy don't want a cracked hull. i now there is a ski tique with no springs and the do trabvel more then 5 miles and they use highway with no problem.
that's how we got the idea for elimnatig the springs anda fter the mechanic said it would be ok we figured nothing will happen.
will low tire presurre help??
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 4:44pm
good luck with your shortcut. might want to start saving up for a new axle now.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 7:16pm

will low tire presurre help??

KO,
This is the last thing you want to do. Lowering the pressure will make the tires heat up excessively which in turn will heat the wheels and bearings. To answer your next question, yes this will happen at lower speeds in just a couple miles. This will cause premature tire or bearing failure. How soon it will fail depends on the age and condition of your tires and bearings. Not a very good option.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic