NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water in Engine?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
stimie02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stimie02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water in Engine?
    Posted: December-05-2008 at 11:55pm
Are there any chemical additives on the market to help flush water out of a block if it got into the engine? I have a PCM 351W that had the oil pan punctured and may or may not have gotten water into the engine. Any suggestions or advice. Thanks in advance.
Bro Stimie
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2008 at 2:36am
You can push water out with WD-40 or kerosene, the latter is cheaper. Then chase that out with oil.
Tim D
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2008 at 9:49am
Chris,
I've got to ask! How was the pan punctured??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
stimie02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stimie02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2008 at 2:05pm
I bought the vessel from a salvage company. It was run aground and the three tracking fins were forced up through the hull, one of which punctured the oil pan. The engine is not locked up; however there is no oil in the oil pan and I am not sure if water was introduced into the block when the puncture occured. Hope that makes sense.
Bro Stimie
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2008 at 1:07am
Dont you you have to change the oil pan, when you remove it, there should not be anything left in it, then just flush it out with new oil!
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2008 at 9:26pm
While you have the pan off the bottom I'd go ahead and roll a new set of rod and main bearings in. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the oil pump and flush out the screen and pump.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2008 at 1:33pm
I would be a little more worried about all the rust inside of it now from sitting without oil in it. Complete rebuild is needed now or unless you just want to do it later after it pukes by half assing it now.
stimie02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stimie02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 11:23am
And if I am wrong about water getting into the block, a complete rebuild could waste a lot of time and money. I believe that MaddMarxx is more in line with what I should do. Replace the oil pan and flush with new oil. If after I fill it with oil, turn it over a few times, and then drain it, and see any water in the drained oil then I would consider a complete rebuild. If I had nothing but time and money on my hands I might do things differently but I do not believe that I would be doing anything half-assed by assessing what really needs to be fixed and then proceeding from there. MaddMarxx --- Thanks for the advice!!
Bro Stimie
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 11:42am
Chris,
I feel your plan is sound. Unless that boat was way under the water, I doubt anything got too far up into the engine. (the S.G. of oil is lighter than water) I do agree that when you put the new pan on it that you should closely inspect the bottom end. It wouldn't hurt to pull the valve covers and take a look ether.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by stimie02 stimie02 wrote:

And if I am wrong about water getting into the block, a complete rebuild could waste a lot of time and money. I believe that MaddMarxx is more in line with what I should do. Replace the oil pan and flush with new oil. If after I fill it with oil, turn it over a few times, and then drain it, and see any water in the drained oil then I would consider a complete rebuild. If I had nothing but time and money on my hands I might do things differently but I do not believe that I would be doing anything half-assed by assessing what really needs to be fixed and then proceeding from there. MaddMarxx --- Thanks for the advice!!

how the hell is water going to get in the block, did you sink the boat after you punched a hole in the oil pan, did you have water in the block and throw something throw the pan to create the hole in the pan?

theres a damn hole in the pan there is no water in it, replacing the pan and flushing is going to do crap but might make it a lot worse than it is now if you would just pull the motor flip it over and inspect the internals. you have to pull it any way. So if the internals are rusted up then it needs more than a F n pan is going to fix.
stimie02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stimie02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 1:26pm
Chris,

If you will read my second post, the fourth one on this blog, you would realize that I bought the vessel already in its present condition. I am fixing it so that I can put it in the water. You are right as far pulling the engine to replace the oil pan and yes it would be sensible of me to inspect the internals prior to replacing the oil pan and reinstalling it into the vessel. Regardless though that does not indicate that I must do a complete rebuild. I think you are being presumptious in believing that I am going to do anything half-assed. Thanks for the sensible advice but you can keep the frustrations and anger to yourself.
Bro Stimie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 1:49pm
so it's sat ina salvage yard with out oil for how long and you want to slap a pan on it and flush it out and think it's going to last.

Two phrase half assed shade tree mechanic bull***************.

do what you want flush and run and then whatch it blow up and then you will be full circle and wasted your money and still have to rebuild the motor and I know for a fact Mark would never just slap a pan on and go without inspecting the internals closely while the motors out and replacing the bearings before putting it back in the boat.
stimie02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stimie02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 2:17pm
Chris,

There is something terribly wrong with you. You really need to work on whatever crawled up your ass and has made you such a bitter person. I did indicate that I would inspect the internals prior to reassembly and if it does need to be rebuilt then of course I will do that as well. I will more than likely also replace the main bearings and rods while I have the oil pan off. That is still not a complete rebuild. Do me a favor and pay attention to what you read before responding. You only are showing everyone how ignorant you can be. You have succesfully turned this blog into something negative for no reason that I can figure.
Bro Stimie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 3:53pm
do you really think the cam and lifters rockers and everything else is going to be fine, if the bearings are bad/rusted, everything else won't be. Foolish thoughts from a newbie.

And don't worry about All of my buddies are well aware of me and who and what I am about. as they have chimed in on the thread, maybe should meet some of them as I have or pick up on it when I call them by name and not there forum's name.

Nice of you to make crap up to try to try and bolster your case as maybe you should point out where you said what in this thread and the replace as need missed that. Guess it was edited out.

again foolish to think that you can just slap a oil pan on and drive away dumn ass newbie's they never learn.
stimie02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stimie02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 6:45pm
It is nice to know that a lot of your buddies who have responded on the blog are not ass holes like you are. Trust me also that I will not worry at all about you. Matter of fact I won't give you even another minutes thought. You are not worth it. I do hope that you are not such a prick to all of us "newbies" though. It would surely be a shame if you are.
Bro Stimie
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 9:17pm
Stimie, did we forget to tell you about '79?

He's harmless, provides us great entertainment.

Sounds like you have a plan. Even if your engine seizes up later, you only have the cost of some gaskets to lose. I say go for it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
stimie02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stimie02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Stimie, did we forget to tell you about '79?

He's harmless, provides us great entertainment.

Sounds like you have a plan. Even if your engine seizes up later, you only have the cost of some gaskets to lose. I say go for it.

Chris,

Yeah, looks like I got to learn the hard way. Lucky me. I will be pulling the engine this weekend and will begin the hull repairs. I've also got a few soft spots in the floor so once I have the powertrain out I will be pulling up the old floor and replacing it. I will also check the stringers once I've got the floor out to see if I need to replace anything there and prior to putting down a new floor. The powertrain will be the last thing that I am going to tear into after I have completed all of the other repairs, probably early next year January or February. Thanks for the insight.
Bro Stimie
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2008 at 1:15am
Chris,

If you've been hanging around since July, you may be aware that reidp is right up the road from you. He could be a world of advice and help to you on a local basis.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2008 at 2:12pm

I would be a little more worried about sendind stuff through the block when it lets go than it locking up. you are toast as it's not rebuildable any more with a hole in the side.

me I wouldn't be waiting on the floor to get done, I would be pulling the pan looking into the damage and inspecting then if it looks like it is salavable I would be slapping grease and oil all over it to prevent it from rusting while you spend the next three-four months fixing the floor. Or then you can just let is set and get worse hell your money be as foolish as you want, might as well start budgetting that new motor now because the odds are not in your favor.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2008 at 4:03pm
Hey Chris, stop being such an Azz!!

PS, not telling which Chris I am talking too, heck, could just be talking to myself, LOL!!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2008 at 4:43pm
This is not a blog.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2008 at 4:52pm
boys is it just crazy thinking that you can pluck a motor from the scrap pile that has a hole in the pan and expect that if you replace the pan add oil that it will run? Hell maybe I need to be smoking the same stuff chris is then it might all come together
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2008 at 9:10pm
Chris ('79) won't an engine typically start knocking or give some other warning sign before it throws a rod?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2008 at 11:05am
Personally, I would address the engine first especially if you won't need it for months to prevent or slow down any rust damage it may have. I look at the cylinder walls will be a good indication of the overall engines condition as they seem to rust out first as there's only a thin film of oil on them anyway. If the walls are clean then I would pull all the plugs and shoot some oil or fogging spray into all cylinders and turn over by hand. Then address the botton end like 79 said and cover all with an assembly lube that will release itself once you fire it up and get it hot. If you've got any rust I would pull it apart and at the very least hone it and go with new rings and bearings and it should run for a while. Cam lobes will be suspect too as they get wiped pretty clean of oil so sitting for too long is no good,

If it's a low hour engine and the walls are good I wouldn't be concerned about the bearings but I would probably pull a cap anyway and take a look. You'll be able to tell right away what you've got.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2008 at 12:09pm
besides, if something came up through the pan, i would be really worried about the oil pick up, an ounce of prevention....
good time to replace the rear main and install a new damper. dont put a high volume pump in it either, no need to rob horsepower
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2008 at 12:18pm

Chris ('79) won't an engine typically start knocking or give some other warning sign before it throws a rod?

sometimes but not all of the times. If the rod, wrist pin, or even the cam has any kind of stress fracture or fatique then you throw some rust into to open it a little more it can just let go and be done.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2008 at 5:28pm
You sure about how the damage was caused???

Maybe the PO was just trying to flush out old engine oil like this guy

Oil Flush

Good luck with the repair Chris.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 1:13am
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

You sure about how the damage was caused???

Maybe the PO was just trying to flush out old engine oil like this guy

Oil Flush

Good luck with the repair Chris.

This has got to be a joke! Nobody's that stupid!
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 10:56am
Originally posted by nuttyskier2002 nuttyskier2002 wrote:

This has got to be a joke! Nobody's that stupid!

Actually yes we determined it was a joke.

Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

Imagine the fun Chris could have had with that guy. Too bad it looks like it was a HOAX

Mike

..but I wouldn't go as far as saying nobody is that stupid. I'm sure there is someone out there...
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic