NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Riser Gunk

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Riser Gunk
    Posted: December-16-2008 at 2:22pm
So I was winterizing my Mustang the other day. Drained the engine and port side manifold. Went to drain the starboard side manifold and no water came out. Don't know if drained with the other manifold or at some other point, hose, etc. ????

Anyway I had the engine running before hand and water was definitely flowing from the exhaust. I stuck a nail set in a bit to see if there was a clog. Still no water but definitely some black gunk in there. Is this exhaust buildup? Is it something I should worry about? Pull apart and clean?

Thanks guys!
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2008 at 4:19pm
The water passage in the exhaust manifold should have rusty water in it, not exhaust! I'd pull it off and look at the exhaust ports on the head. Check out the exhaust that I cut open and sent to Allen (81 nautique) it's in his blog under General "Torque & HP" on page 3 I just bumped it to the top of the page.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 1:58pm
Nice cutaway Waterdog.

Guess I'll pull the riser off and take a look at the manifold sometime before the season.

Does anyone know if the water jacket extends throughout the riser or does it end at the end of the manifold?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 3:33pm
David,
Yes, on the H/M manifolds, the waterjacket is internally ported from the manifolds directly to and through the risers. At the very end of the risers is where the water is dumped into the exhaust.

I feel you should be taking a real close look at the condition of the manifolds and risers. They are noted for burn through problems. How's you oil? Any signs of water? When water enters the exhaust side of the manifold, sometimes you will get water back into the engine and then into the oil. Didn't you have a problem with this at one time or am I not remembering correctly??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 4:55pm
Pete,I don't think his boat has the HM's anymore
Well it turns out I'm wrong,in his prepurchase pic's there they are. My manifolds have two plugs each in them .One is in the manifold side and goes into the waterjacket.The other goes into the riser and is in the exhaust portion.I'm wondering if he has only found the one rear most plug.Maybe Alan who has a set off the boat can take pictures.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 5:47pm
I have not noticed any water in my engine oil. Just changed it and seemed OK.

There are two plugs. I pulled the ones closest to the front because they were easier to pull compared to the back ones. I drained earlier before Thanksgiving and water came out of both manifolds/risers.

Is there any problem pulling the risers off the manifolds? I assume I'll need to use a gasket sealer to reassemble?

Yes Gary, still have the HM's.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 7:20pm
[QUOTE=vondy]

I drained earlier before Thanksgiving and water came out of both manifolds/risers.

Is there any problem pulling the risers off the manifolds? I assume I'll need to use a gasket sealer to reassemble?

QUOTE]

You'll just have to make your own gaskets.I used brass nuts when I put mine back together,so if I do have to take them apart again,I'll have no problems.I have never gotten water from my riser side plugs.So it might be worth checking.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2008 at 3:55am
we wanted to take our risers off, but the back bolts dont have enough room for a socket head, or even a combination wrench. any ideas?? Its the pcm marinization.
74SkiNautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2008 at 11:53am
74 SN - Mine had allen head screws, which were relatively easy to reach. Are yours hex head? Whoever put those on must have had a way to tighten them. A ground down open end maybe?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2008 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

I have not noticed any water in my engine oil. Just changed it and seemed OK.

There are two plugs. I pulled the ones closest to the front because they were easier to pull compared to the back ones. I drained earlier before Thanksgiving and water came out of both manifolds/risers.

Yes Gary, still have the HM's.

Vondy, Couple of points here. Yes the front ones drain the water jackets, the rears go through to the exhaust cavity and there's no reason to drain there unless there is a problem with water entering but you stated there isn't so I wouldn't even touch those back drains. Not sure why the backs drain holes are even there but I refitting one side to accept an air/fuel sensor for carb tuning later.

Second caution is if you are not having any leaking issues do not try to separate the risers, You'll be opening a can of worms. As Gary states you'll have to make your our gaskets but that is the least of your worries. I'm currently refurbishing a pair of HM's and they have been a nightmare every step of the way. First, took me forever and a lot of heat to get the nuts to move and three of them were previously rounded, no way to get any grip on them. Even if I could get the nuts off I still could not pry the riser off as there was so much corrosion in the riser through holes so I had to hacksaw them apart and then drive the old studs out with a drift.

Then had to drill out and retap the studs. Also we've found that these castings are incredibly brittle and when I removed the drain cocks most of the threads came with them. They just seems to want to keep falling apart, I had to use a few helicoils and also repair the threaded drain holes with aluminum braising rod then drill and retap.

I had no choice but to repair these as they were leaking but I would caution you about fooling with your set unless they have to come apart. They will certainly test your problem solving skills.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2008 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

the rears go through to the exhaust cavity   Not sure why the backs drain holes are even there

They are probably just there to hold the core during casting and then just plugged. Not many air/fuel sensors back then - maybe only in the factory lab!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2008 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

74 SN - Mine had allen head screws, which were relatively easy to reach. Are yours hex head? Whoever put those on must have had a way to tighten them. A ground down open end maybe?

replace with allen head stainless steel once you gget the old ones out, but just use a good quality box end wrench, Snap-on, Matco, borrow one if you have too.

Craftsman seem to have a thicker wall due to cheaper metal I guess but I wouldn't try grinding down a onpen end wrench it will just flare and round off the head and you dead in the water then.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2009 at 4:08pm
With all the holidays I have not had much time to think about this issue. It started running through my mind again during an 8 hour drive back home yesterday.

The safe bet would be to not touch it. I'm all for that. Although I do recall a slow drip from this joint. Now that does not mean that the water jacket has a hole in it. It could simply be the gasket at the joint is failing.

What do y'all think?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 8:32am
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

The safe bet would be to not touch it. I'm all for that. Although I do recall a slow drip from this joint. Now that does not mean that the water jacket has a hole in it. It could simply be the gasket at the joint is failing.

What do y'all think?

Unless you split the risers from the manifolds, you really can't tell what is causing the leak. It could be a gasket, a hole from corrosion or the mating surfaces corroded. Take a look at the picture of Alan's manifolds again. It's very typical of what you will find with aluminum. Lots of corrosion. It's like aluminum tie rims in snow/salt parts of the country - hard to keep air in them!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 3:15am
Sorry...thread jack...

Pete; Where ya been? I was missin' ya. For a while there what with you gone I felt like the oldest guy on here. Glad you're back.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 7:31am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Sorry...thread jack...

Pete; Where ya been? I was missin' ya. For a while there what with you gone I felt like the oldest guy on here. Glad you're back.

john

John, I was up you northern Wisconsin for Christmas and New Years. I need my annual fill of lake activities when the water changes state to a solid! Drained and winterized the house and won't go back up again until the boats will enjoy the liquid water again.

I trusted you to keep the younger group here in line while I was gone!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 3:32am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I trusted you to keep the younger group here in line while I was gone!!

I tried!

Sounds cold up there...

BTW: Only way to enjoy water in its solid state is in my Beam and Diet Coke.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 8:37am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Sounds cold up there...

BTW: Only way to enjoy water in its solid state is in my Beam and Diet Coke.

john

It only dropped below zero once so it was on the warm side!

You mentioning the cold and Coke reminded me that when talking to Billy the other day, I forgot to mention a little fact that I doubt he's every thought about (or anyone else in the south!). Outside soda vending machines in the north need to be heated in the winter!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic