NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Coat Prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 13>
Author
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gel Coat Prep
    Posted: December-24-2008 at 11:00am
Well here I sit on Christmas Eve day at work. Not because I "have" to be here, but I have to wait for FedEx to deliver my daughter's big Christmas gift.

Last night was boat night and Dave and I have a list of questions regarding the re-gel.

1. How long before "workable" time after re-gel? In between coats and how many coats are recommended?

2. Is there a window after gel is completed before sanding and polishing?

3.What kind of rubbing compound is recommended?

4. What grit of sandpaper begin and end?

5. For a 5 gal. can of gel, what amount and type of activators are recommended? Are there options?

6. Does anyone have an estimate on how many gallons of gel for the mustang? There is existing gel.

I know, lots of questions. Although, this is the best place to ask.

Merry Christmas Eve!

Chelle'
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2008 at 6:27pm
I may be able to help a little...for what it's worth, in my experience/opinion:

1. I used polyester gelcote (thinned with Styrene) from US Composites. My goal was 22 mils. I ended up applying about five coats. The first four coats I applied as much gel as possible before it would start to run. The last coat was a very thin application with surfacing wax to get as smooth as possible finish.

2. I don't know of a window of time after applying gel until sanding. It can be done as soon as it cures. I would give it over night.

3. For the initial buffing I used a 3M buffing compound I bought at NAPA. Can't remember what it was called. The final buffing I recommend using 3M Finesse it III. This stuff will give you a brilliant shine at about 4k RPM.   

4. I made some mistakes on my project and I became impatient toward the end. In some cases where I had significant orange peel, I dove right in with 250 grit. BIG MISTAKE in retrospect. Use only wet. Start with 400. Use trace. Go to 600 and 800. Do not move onto 1000 until all the visible scratches are gone. Use 1000 and then 2000. I used some wet sanding foam pads for orbital sanders as a final sanding at 2000grit.

5. The polyester gelcote uses MEKP or similar initials for very dangerous chemical that makes gelcote cure. It was included with the gelcote.

6. I have tried to forget how much I spent on gelcote because it hurts when I remember. I am pretty sure you are going to need more than 5 gallons. It depends on how many coats, how much you thin, and how much is lost to overspray or sanding.

You may want to talk to the smart guy at US Composites and he can help with estimates and other technical questions. They helped me out a great deal.

Don't know if you looked already, but this site (journal of my 1987 SN rebuild) may help.

Merry Christmas.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2008 at 7:19pm
Thanks, Bill. That's very helpful information.

I'll check out your 87 rebuild. We did get our poly and epoxy from US Composites. I'll start comparing base gel prices and begin doing my extensive "gel" research.

The MEKP is the same hardener that came with my poly resin. Ten drops to 1 oz.!

Was your 87 down to fiberglass or did you gel over the existing? OK...I'll check out your rebuild and see for myself.

Thanks again and the merriest of Christmas's to you!

Chelle'

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2008 at 12:28pm
Im curious to what the average per gallon everyone pays for a gallon of Poly or epoxy?
"the things you own will start to own you"
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2008 at 1:45pm
Eric,

I used the 700 Vinyl Ester Resin from US Composites. It was 43.00 for the gallon including hardener.

I'll have to check with John regarding the epoxy, as he ordered that. Mabey he'll check out the site from Guam and will answer back.

They recommended 7-1/2 oz. cloth.

Merry Christmas Day! Presents are opened and the kids are "busy".

Michelle
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2008 at 2:26pm
The epoxy I used to do some small floor repair work is $125 for a qt. kit
(Hysol EA 9394) hi temp avition grade - way over kill. I thought keep it for ever & I'd be burried in it. Funny how things change.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2008 at 5:10pm
My boat was ground down to the glass.
Bill
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2008 at 8:51pm
Bill,

I looked at your site and I saw that. Great information on there. I'm not taking the mustang all the way down. The 5 gal. might just work for us?

We're almost ready to gel. Few more weeks estimate. We want to flip the stang upside down. And I am sure that will be interesting. I'm either going to have to drink a few beers first or not be there during the flip over.

Thanks for all of the info. Was that the first time you've ever used gel coat? What did you like/dislike about using it?

As for matching the yuckytan yellow. Originally, I was going to cut a small piece and send to minicraft. I talked to them in detail and asked them how they matched it. They basically use the same procedure as automotive and/or Sherwin Williams.

That said, Dave's buddy is coming over with his specialty camera to take a picture. He's going to match the gel in automotive paint and paint a piece for us to send to where we purchase the gel. It surprised me to learn that this camera even picks up "gloss". I'm anxious to see what his paint match looks like.
blink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2008 at 9:28am
Hi sanity ,it's me in guam and I believe the price was about 109 dollars for a 2 gallon kit 3 to 1 medium epoxy hardner miss you be home in 5 days blink
BTW looks like I lost my 82-2001 to sanity
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2008 at 9:37am
FYI, with polyester, you can buy locally under the brand name Bondo by the gallon at your local parts store, retail its 36.00 per gallon, and its very high quality....and you know me (Gentiles dont pay retail) so i have it down to 26.95 a gallon because autobone price matches. I was buying out of Florida but the 5 gallon pale was 105.00 to ship
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2008 at 11:55am
Eric,

It's important to me to stick with the same products that the hull was originally manufactured with to begin with. Just me. That said, I've re-lined areas in the hull and the dogbox using the poly and it will be covered with a layer of epoxy for additional reinforcement. At least I'll know it's there.

There were repairs made on the hull by the previous owner using bondo. These areas cracked around the repairs. Maybe he didn't prep before filling? Maybe he didn't mix correctly? I don't know. I don't want that to happen down the road, so we removed the bondo, prepped and reinforced it and repaired differently.

Chelle'

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2008 at 12:51pm
BRAND name, Bondo   again its a Brand name, or in these terms Gucci, not a purse but a brand name
lol
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2008 at 12:59pm
BTW, 3M owns the Bondo corporation which manufacturers the Polyester resin, and compared to other poly's i find it easier to work with and its more consistant than the products Ive used in the past....and I use alot of it
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2008 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

BRAND name, Bondo   again its a Brand name, or in these terms Gucci, not a purse but a brand name
lol

Moj, Tim, Pete...will you hold my purse while I slap Eric around a little bit?

I will agree to disagree regarding the poly I am using and the reasons I decided to use it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2008 at 1:41pm
shouldve put down the epoxy first, it bonds better, then the poly on top.....
dont sick the wolfpack on me lol
just trying to pass some useful info
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2008 at 3:12pm
San, im not shooting from the hip here, I find out of probably 10 different brands of poly the Bondo brand appears to be the best, I havnt had an air bubble in it yet which is good and that comes from mixing many many gallons of the stuff,
also the camera is called a color eye and they are about 1800.00
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2008 at 6:46pm

I think you do that on your own
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2008 at 11:23pm
Bill,

What did you like/dislike about the gel?

Did you notice a huge difference finish-wise where you brushed the gel on versus sprayed?

Michelle
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2008 at 11:15am
I can handle the wolfpack just fine
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2008 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

I think you do that on your own

This is almost good enough to print and hang on the wall!   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2008 at 6:42pm

Bill,

What did you like/dislike about the gel?

Did you notice a huge difference finish-wise where you brushed the gel on versus sprayed?

Michelle

I only recommend brushing the gelcote on places like reverse chines and other sharp angles and edges. By first brushing on a fairly thick application it ensures that when you spray over it later, that there will be good buildup.

Brushing leaves brush marks. When you spray over it, the marks are still there and their friend, orange peel, is with them.

As far as likes and dislikes...

o easy to fix mistakes

Dislikes:
o takes many applications to build proper thickness
o stopping to clean the sprayer every time you need to spray on more gel
Bill
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2008 at 8:40pm
Sanity,
Guess Im just catching up on your project.   I didnt realize your Mustang was originally Yucatan Yellow...you lucky dog, you!!

I have a 66 "cuda SS that I want to do in the same color, with a white deck.. A lot of guys thought I was off my rocker when I first talked of this combo. I think its one of those colors thats ugly ,but its "60's" cool!

This pic in the liturature has always flipped me out...

Ive been searching a long time for the original formula. Let me know how your sample turns out!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2008 at 11:21am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Ive been searching a long time for the original formula. Let me know how your sample turns out!

Steve,

Originally I did not want the "yuckytan yellow". I've been told it would grow on me and I didn't believe that either. It sure did and it's staying "yuckytan". Amazes me when I look back at the pictures from when we were just "looking" at the boat. It's come a long way.

I'll keep you updated on the special secret "yuckytan" mixture.

Can you still get the original rub rail?

Chelle'
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2008 at 11:35am
Michelle,
I think Taco Metals has a rail thats pretty close to the original size.

The page I linked to is their aluminimn selection...They also have Stainless rail.

The boat is looking good!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2008 at 11:43am
Thanks for the link, Steve. I will check it out. I do have the original. I'll strip some of the red paint off of it and see what it looks like. I don't know if it will shine up or not. It looks pretty knicked up. Might be more beneficial and look much nicer to get new.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2008 at 12:04pm

Thanks for the link, Steve. I will check it out. I do have the original. I'll strip some of the red paint off of it and see what it looks like. I don't know if it will shine up or not. It looks pretty knicked up. Might be more beneficial and look much nicer to get new.

Before you buy new, you might want to try and repair yours. The rail on my 64 was pretty beat up also. Lots of scratches and a couple of deep gouges. I wet sanded it with 400 grit, then used a metal polish to buff it out. A VERY dirty job, but the results were well worth it! I sanded the gouges out..there is still a small "divot" area where they were...but nobody ever notices them.

Hard to see in this pic...but it shines like new.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2008 at 12:52pm
It would be great if I take the red paint off and am able to shine it up like that. What kind of polish did you use?

I'm going to have alot of polishing to do.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2008 at 2:18pm
I use Nevr-Dull wadding polish. I also dampen that with a little crome/metal polish, like Turtle Waxs, to keep it moist.

Great thing about aluminimn is its pretty easy to polish... Be warned tho.. good idea to wear gloves it will make your hands black.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2008 at 2:46pm
West Marine has the Taco rub rail in 6' lengths. rubrails.com has it in 12' lengths at a much better price, but $150 for shipping makes it very expensive.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2008 at 3:10pm
Unbelievable, Reggie Fountain bought out Baja boats and is pulling out the composites and going back to wood, he builds some wave slammers...if anybody understands boat structure this guy does,
i was told this by a race boat friend, I need to find the article on his reasonings...i really dont think the reason is to build them cheaper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 13>
  Share Topic