NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cinch Straps for a Barefoot suit?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cinch Straps for a Barefoot suit?
    Posted: January-13-2009 at 3:10pm
Okay here is the dilemma. I had a work buddy give me a barefoot suit that I might just take with me to the St. Johns river gathering. May have to get wet and have one of the guys teach Foot to foot.

Anyway the cinch straps are missing in the legs. The guy who gave it to me said the buckles broke but that I could have it anyway. Can you get replacement straps? If so where? I think it is an America's cup suit but can't rember for sure till I get home.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 3:25pm
You can buy replacement straps, while relatively cheap @ $20, I feel they are marked up a high % though.

I have a package of the 3/4" cam buckles from McMaster (#29705T27) but have not had to use them yet. I do not know the optimum webbing thickness, but I'll assume 1/16"-1/8" would all work. I would guess most barefoot suit straps are 1/8" thick, although someone could easily measure if they had one on hand.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 3:46pm
Hey Wood,

I have a pair of busted cinches you can try those buckles out on!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 6:29pm
I've never used the cinch straps on my barefoot suit and I've never had a problem with it. I took mine out because they bruised my thighs so badly when I was learning to foot on the boom.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 7:06pm
Okay.....It's an American Barefoot Wetsuit..

Any of you barefoot guy's heard of em'.

It's sky blue with pink rim. Maybe I'll just leave it home. I know the flexing I'll take should I wear it. I seem to remember someone else round here getting beat up over a pink wetsuit...HMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 7:17pm
My closet is full of pink neoprene, can't get enough.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Okay.....It's an American Barefoot Wetsuit..

Any of you barefoot guy's heard of em'.

It's sky blue with pink rim. Maybe I'll just leave it home. I know the flexing I'll take should I wear it. I seem to remember someone else round here getting beat up over a pink wetsuit...HMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm!

Amerian Barefoot suit. Can't say as I've heard of it. Doesn't mean that it don't work though. Pink huh? We just may have to let you ride with Adam and Tammy in their pink (oops, I mean coral) boat.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 3:54pm
Bring that thing down, if your small enough I can pull out and bring you my hardly used 15 year old yellow and purple size medium that I bought the one and only summer I was ever a size medium. I am going to pull the trigger on a new suit to bring down there and see if I can still foot or not, so assuming we find calm water there should be entertainment for all...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 6:21pm
my .02,
I think those American suits are from Barts or ski limited...one of them, they have drysuits too by that name.

I would use the straps unless you want the legs to work like parachutes, you could probably call barefoot International and get some sent out pretty cheap, use a metal hanger and tape to thread them through the legs.

when you deep up(especially longline, you might get by on the boom without them) that part of the legs is right at the water level and will catch and fill, if you get up it'll be with 10 gallons of water in the suit
This is the life
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 6:55pm
I've done deeps longline a zillion times without straps. It's always been a non-issue for me.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 8:46pm
geez, OK M3fan,

I've used them on the last 10 or so barefoot suits I've had and they never bruised me in any way. In fact I've never seen anyone bruised by them.

question for you,

why are they on every barefoot suit ever made?

(excluding the 3/4 leg jumpsuits that can be used for barefooting of course)

This is the life
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 2:54am
Straps, cinchs, pants, bfsuits, bruises, 3/4 legs, c'mon lets just foot. C'mon Larry..back me up here...

john

"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 12:06pm
No kidding John, its gotten way to complicated.

THEN
speedo            6.95
crappy rope      10.95
crappy drop ski free
total           $17.90

NOW
Boom               479
front BF handle    120
back BF handle     120
Rope               50
iron suit          289
dry suit           399
trainers            69
total            $1526

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 1:28pm
Those speedo shots are awesome! One day I will find some old shots of my early days Footin. No speedo for me though, cut off jeans, crappy rope, kick ski and a ski belt behind a Tri Hull with a 70hp Chrysler OB.

IMO the straps are not absolutely necessary, if the suit fits snug at the thighs you should be fine however to Andy's point it is quite possible to take in a ton of water if not used. Like Joel, I never use the straps on my suit and it is not an issue.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 2:32pm
Joel typically barefoots in "ideal" conditions. There are times where the straps are definitely useful.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 3:18pm
I learned off the hydro slide

however following this "the old way is the best way logic"

Fred Flintstone used to stop the flintmobile with his barefeet....now they put brakes in cars....I suppose you all still stop your cars with your feet too huh?
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 3:22pm
speedos....
This is the life
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 2:21am
Knew I could count on ya Larry.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 12:08pm
My barefoot gear in the early days of footin was a pair of cut-offs as well......I've gotta say a barefoot suit makes deep water starts (backs in particular) and tumble turns a lot easier on my old hide these days. In spite of the added cost, I am not going back to the "old days" as far as barefoot gear is concerned!

To keep on topic, if you are going to use the neon suit, find some straps. They shouldn't cost much and will save you from filling the suit up with water. In addition, the old suit might be a bit brittle and more prone to tearing .... the straps will help keep it from "blowing out"
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 12:54am
We'll whether I try the footin thing or not in Feb; the Jbear informed me via telephone that I had to bring the suit if for anything but get a picture taken in it for everyone's viewing pleasure. ( You think I'da learned something after the other guy's took a beating about a pink trimed wetsuit.)
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 2:59am
Can't wait to see it myself...just not on me. You're a braver man than I Tim...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic