Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1987 SN 2001 Engine swap

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gearhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1987 SN 2001 Engine swap
    Posted: January-25-2009 at 5:46pm
Hi everyone I started this thread because I'm lost I just bought a 87 SN 2001 with no motor the Hull is in good shape the interior needs to be replaced. I have been told the stock engine is a reverse rotation PCM 351 and I have 2 302 engines both with GT40 Heads they are EFI motors What do you think is the best thing to do
Big J
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 6:04pm
Are the 302's RH or LH(RH=rev rot)? Which way will your prop be turning in forward? I ask because there has been a lot of discussion on how these boats handle in relation to the rotation. It would almost surely have been RH from the factory. Give the search feature a whirl. It'll take some digging, but I know it's there!

I'm not the guy to answer your question. One of the ford guys will speak up.

I wonder why the engine is missing? Maybe it was worth keeping...did the PO say?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 6:56pm
are they marine engines????
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 7:03pm
Welcome to the site John.You have quite a problem there, all tho not insurmountable.What exactly do you have of the old engine if anything? Motor mounts,exhaust manifolds,trans,bellhousing,pumps,carb,distributor etc? I personally don't think it's worth the time, effort,and expense to convert an automotive 302 into a boat that had a 351.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 8:13pm
John,
Gary's correct if your 302's are automotive and LH (standard rotation). If so, look for a 351 (if you're into Fords) or a 350 GM RH marine and rebuild it. Take a look: marineengine.com

Welcome to the site and keep us posted as to what direction you head. Oh, pictures!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gearhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 9:02pm
Thanks for the welcome. I knew this would be a good site for information. The 302's are LH automtive engines. The boat has a right hand drive prop. It has a state issued hull number and I could not find the additional hull number under the dash. I have clear title on the boat. I am looking for all the help I can get. The question I have is, will putting in a left hand motor affect the handling of the boat all that much, and If so, where would be the best place to start my search for a 351 marine engine?
Big J
gearhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 9:05pm
I have exaust manifolds and that is about it from the old engine
John
Big J
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by gearhead gearhead wrote:

The question I have is, will putting in a left hand motor affect the handling of the boat all that much, and If so, where would be the best place to start my search for a 351 marine engine?

you might not notice,until you drove a correct one. The value of the boat would be affected and since your starting from scratch,why bother. Post in the wanted section,you never know what you'll find.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by gearhead gearhead wrote:

where would be the best place to start my search for a 351 marine engine?

John,
You missed my link in my post so here it is again: marineengine.com

Yes, it will affect the handling. RH hand engines were the outcome of running early engines (flat heads and early V8's) flywheel forward and the reason for starboard helms.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gearhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 11:05pm
Thanks everyone, I Think I will stick to RH 351 marine that it came with. and thanks for the link
John
Big J
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 12:23pm
if you are going to run a 1.23:1 tranny it's not an issue, now if your using the 1:1 that's different.
bokaeser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokaeser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 9:14pm
for what its worth 88 had 1:1 RH and 89 had 1.23:1 LH same hull

pretty sure
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 12:29pm
If you have no motor, pumps, manifolds, accessories or anything of the like its definitely gonna be cheaper to find a complete used one than buy all the marine parts for one of those 302s, now if you had the parts and were just looking to get skiing for the summer while promising to build a proper reverse rotation marine engine in the near future... you could make that happen.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by bokaeser bokaeser wrote:

for what its worth 88 had 1:1 RH and 89 had 1.23:1 LH same hull

pretty sure

Thats correct- thats what '79 is getting at. Both the RH 351w + 1:1 and LH 351w + 1.23:1 turn RH props- this is what is important for preserving the proper handling of the boat.
gearhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 1:37am
How can i tell what the trans is?
John
Big J
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic