Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1961 Fuel Pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
noll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1961 Fuel Pump
    Posted: January-26-2009 at 5:02pm
I need to find a fuel pump rebuild kit for my 61 Interceptor. I have tried the local auto supply shops with no success. This fuel pump has the glass bulb on it.If any one knows where I can get one please let me know. If I need to buy a new fuel pump I will, but I want to keep the motor,and components as original as possible.

Thanks Noll
n.Williams
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 6:10pm
62Wood was looking for one. Maybe he'll chime in. After almost 2 years, I plan to start mine in the spring. The glass bowl on mine is practically black. I'd like to clean it,but I'm afraid to touch it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 8:13pm
Noll,
I can't remember who it was I posted this for but he too had a fuel pump issue. Didn't hear back so I have to assume he had some luck with the outfit.
They have changed their name any way since that post!!

Wink's carb and fuel pump rebuilding
Ken Winkelmann
4052 Morel Dr.
Cadillac Mi.
231 775 4444

Bruce,
Remove the bowl being careful not to split the cork gasket. You'll find a ceramic fuel filter inside. Soak it in some carb cleaner and then blow it out with some air. With your finger over the fuel inlet, actuate the lever arm and see if it pumps. Keeping your finger on the hole, see if it will hold a vacuum. If it doesn't for at least 30 seconds, most likely the diaphram is ruptured/leaking or one of the check valves is stuck. If the halves are screwed and not rivited, open it up and get some carb cleaner inside (not the rubber)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
noll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 1:24am
Pete thank you for the information on the fuel pump, I will give them a call.

Noll
n.Williams
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 11:01am
Noll,
I forgot to add that Wink's specializes in carbs and fuel pumps 40+ years old. He may even have a re build kit for it if you want to do it yourself. Report back after you talk to him.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

62Wood was looking for one. Maybe he'll chime in. After almost 2 years, I plan to start mine in the spring. The glass bowl on mine is practically black. I'd like to clean it,but I'm afraid to touch it.

Bruce,
Im still running an electric pump... I ran out of time to look into rebuilding the original pump last fall. Maybe this summer?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
noll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 2:06pm
Pete, Talked to Ken at Wink's carb and fuel pump rebuilding he said that he orders rebuild kits as he needs them. He does not sell the rebuild kit for you to rebuild your own. I will be sending my fuel pump to him for the rebuild. I would have liked to rebuild it myself, but I will go with him. Thanks again for your help in this matter.

Noll
n.Williams
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 2:11pm
That's good to know.

Are those old pumps marine pumps, or are they just ordinary fuel pumps? Our Classic w/312 has the same fuel pump as the 170 in the Interceptor manual, but it has been changed out to an automotive pump. It does not have a glass bowl.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 2:28pm
Bruce,
It was sometime in the early 70's when the vent line from the pump to the carb/intake was added making them "marine". That's the only difference from automotive.

Does your pump have the metal bowl or none at all? The bowl with the filter inside is just a better/"high end" pump.

Noll,
Too bad we don't know where Ken gets his rebuild kits! With the old pumps, I think it's one of those little obscure hole in the wall places no one except the inside guys knows about. When I rebuilt the pump on my 54 last year, I lucked out because a friend had 5 of the kits.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 2:35pm
Pete, It has no bowl at all.

What about alternators and starters? Do the older engines use automotive units as well?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 6:02pm
Bruce,
Generators were never marine and some alternators and starters were modified to marine sometime in the early 70's. The modifications really weren't much. A rubber boot here and a bronze screen over some holes there if they were still open. Chryslers alternators were a open design for many years. I don't know if internals were modified.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic