Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas Tank Removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
82wake2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Tank Removal
    Posted: January-27-2009 at 11:33pm
I owm a 1982 ski nautique. 351 motor. Last year the fuel gauge crapped out so its time to fix it. I was also going to run new pilot tubes for my speedos while the tank was out. Ok so the question has anyone successful y removed AND reinstalled there tank??

, thanks Joe
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 11:56pm
I removed the tank in my 80 to replace the sending unit. My old sending unit was actually seperated from the top mount. It was laying in the bottom of the tank.
Tank was not too bad getting out. The hose clamps were rusted and had to be broken off. Getting the hoses off was not to bad.
I installed a universal sending unit but it was not compatable with my guage. Had to replace my guage.
But now all is well again.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 12:18am
I took mine out of my 83 SN. After undoing the hose clamps I took the screws out of the gas fill on top and lifted the gas fill and hose thru the top of the hull. There are 4 bolts that hold the gas tank down. One on each corner. Remove the line from your overfill and your gas gauge wires. You should be able to slide it out.
83Ski
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 8:45pm
82wake2001...you may want to replace the short pieces of exhaust hose that run out the back of the boat also, while you have the tank out!
82wake2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 3:10pm
Yes thats an excellent idea.....good thinking MaddMarxx
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
pmt2234 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmt2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 4:57pm
In my '84 2001, I've had mine out and back in.

Get the thing as empty as possible before you start. That will help.

I agree that replacing the last bits of exhaust hose is a good idea, removing the tank is a PITA. I replaced the short piece of fuel filler hose, the vent hose and the whole fuel line while I was at it. Some of the blower hose was shot too.

Snap a few pics on disassembly, that will help. Pay attention to the ground wire from the tank to the fuel fill fitting, that's important.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic