NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ethanol, gas, nautiques.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
220nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 220nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ethanol, gas, nautiques.
    Posted: January-30-2009 at 3:45pm
Someone told me that I need to put fuel conditioner (the stuff they use when they winterize) in my boat every time I fuel up, now that ethanol is being used in fuel. I have never heard that before...is that right? I would like to hear everyones thoughts.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2009 at 4:10pm
NO IT's NOT,

if you have a newer boat you don't have to worry if your's is an older model then you need to switch out some fuel lines and maybe get rid of a plastic gas tank if it has one.

gas has had ethanol in it for over twenty years.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 220nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2009 at 5:04pm
so as I long as I use E10 my boat is fine?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2009 at 5:10pm
yes
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2009 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Off hand, it seems to me that Gold Eagle (Sta-bil) Is doing some marketing here. Change the color, put the word "marine" on it, charge more and see if people will buy more! I'd wait and give it some time to hear if it does any good before using it. Maybe lots have caught on that their lead "substitute" doesn't work so they are trying to boost sales in a different direction!!!

As mentioned, the alcohol problem is two fold. It's a solvent and causes some plastic and rubber components not rated for it to fail. This requires changing out these to new parts. Secondly this solvency is dissolving years of varnish build up and gumming up the fuel system. This needs filtration until it's all gone. Now, I'm not a chemist but I really can't see how a additive can reduce the solvency of the alcohol.
-Adam

1973 Skier
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2009 at 12:21am
Sure does make gas go stale fast though!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 220nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2009 at 12:35am
My mechanic says he doesn't think it would hurt. He has never heard of it though. The person who told me to do it in the first place said just 2 ounces at every fill up would do the trick. I also heard that fuel conditioner lowers the octane of the fuel too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic