NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351W rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
danman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351W rebuild
    Posted: February-04-2004 at 4:51pm
I own a 1978 ski nautique that I currently
am building the engine in - I have a 1974 block with 1978 heads, I am actually almost done with the motor, but I have a few questions - There is a lot of controversy about which way the pistons should be installed in a reverse rotation engine - I have talked with severel people to find everyone has there own opinion, The pistons that I pulled out of the motor were installed normally, Woody over a secc says to install the pistons normally... so I did, but is this correct? I also have an option to either advace the cam or retard the cam timing 2 degress with the timing chain set I bought. Does anybody have experiance with advancing the cam on a marine engine?
Thanks!
SS-201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS-201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2004 at 9:12pm
Advanceing will give you more low end torque, retard will give you more top end. It moves the torque curve up and down, APP. 200 rpm , that's if you go 4 degrees. It's a give and take, no guarantee. This assumeing you have run the engine previous and know how it performed. Two degrees doesn't do much. Leave the cam at straight up, my opinion, however unless you are going to degree it in.

PS:Woody knows what he is talking about, been doing it for 35 years.
SS 201
jcawley3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcawley3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2004 at 5:38pm
looking for someone to rebuild my 351W '86 model that has done it before cannot find anyone close to me that knows what there are doing.. thanks for any help, south carolina
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2004 at 1:08pm
read 882001's post on skiboathelp. mobileservice offers some good advise.

danman, would you venture to tell us what machining , parts and moola your rebuild has entailed?
danman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2004 at 3:24am
I ordered a rebuild kit from summit racing for
about $300 It includes everything you need to
do the job except the proper rear main seal for reverse rotation engines - I chose to buy better gaskets than what came with the kit ie-
one peice rubber oil pan gskt,steel core/rubber valve cover gaskets, and a mr. gasket ultra-seal intake gskt. I had a private independent machine shop do my machine work - bored and hone the block .030" over, magnufluxed, double dip vatted, polish crankshaft, 3 angle valve job, check springs, check guides, resurface deck for about $250 (freind discount) I am an a.s.e. master/world class general motors technician - so I did all the rest - The main and rod bearings are brand new along with the pistons and rings, I also installed a true double roller timing chain/gear set, The only thing I have left to do is paint it dark ford blue -It has been a fun winter time project + I did not have to worry about winterizing the boat!
I am probably going to install a GM hei style distributor - they are a much cleaner installation and so much more powerfull!
I can't wait to get in the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2004 at 4:45am
Hey Jcawley3,

Try Homan & Moody. A lot of questions these guy's are asking were answered in a telephone call to H&M. I didn't even know the engines ran "backwards" and once that sunk in while I was re-building a call to a guy named Jimmy Tucker answered a lot of questions regarding the pistons, alternator, oil pumps etc.

I was reading about Stroppe Bronco's (Baja 500) and read where Jimmy Tucker had built engines for Parnelli Jones etc and the guy is still around and a wealth of knowledge.

Jimmy Tucker would be a good one to bounce the advance or retard idea off of as well and I believe they're in North Carolina.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic