NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Removing exhaust manifold bolts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Dave D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing exhaust manifold bolts?
    Posted: February-03-2009 at 2:39pm
I need some advice on the best way to remove a couple of rusted exhaust mainfold bolts on my '89 PCM 351. I can get most of the bolts out with no problem but a few are siezed and the allen heads are stripped out. The manifold gaskets are not leaking but I need to remove the mainfolds to replace leaking valve cover gaskets. Please advise, thanks!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2009 at 3:43pm
Dave,
If the socket head hex's are accessible from the top and not blind (a section of the casting close to the top of the bolt) then you may want to try one of these:

.hex socket head extractors - bottom of page 2814

If not then you may be able to get a vise grip on it. If that doesn't work then a Dremel tool with a cut-off blade to cut the heads off is another option.

Do use some penetrating oil like Kroil or PB Blaster (not WD40 - worthless s***) and some heat.

BTW, on tough to break loose socket heads, never use a worn allen wrench or one of the "ball-point" hex keys.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dave D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2009 at 6:14pm
Thanks Pete, I will give the Dremmel and/or the extractor a try. I cannot get a pair of vice grips on the bolt heads and the heads in question are very bad shape. Once I cut off the bolt heads and remove the manifold, I feel pretty certian that I can get the rest of the bolts out. Looks like I will use some anti-sieze on the new replacement bolts after I clean up the holes with a tap. I will post it hear when I achieve success. Thanks again for the tips, Pete!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2009 at 8:30pm
Another idea might be to put new hex bolts back in the places where the others came out. Snug 'em up and that will take pressure off of the others.

And maybe use a cold punch smaller than the hex head and a sharp blow for an attitude adjustment. I haven't seen what Pete posted until now, but I'd use that or an easy out after the 'adjustment'.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2009 at 9:42pm
You could also drill the head off. once you remove the manifold it will be easer to get the rest of the bolt out.

PB blaster works great!
-Steve the Pirate
86 Barefoot Nautique

Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2009 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by 86BFN 86BFN wrote:

You could also drill the head off. once you remove the manifold it will be easer to get the rest of the bolt out.

PB blaster works great!

Steve,
A socket head cap screw has a higher tensile strength than a grade 8 bolt consequently they aren't the easiest to drill even with a carbide bit. They are hard - min. Rockwell C39!!! Have you even tried drilling one?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bradtm16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradtm16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 12:15am
Once you do get them out, you should run a tap in the threads to clean out as much rust as possible. When you get new bolts, you have to go back with the allen head style, I was going to try to switch my to hex head but the head is to large. Just a little tip to save you time.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 12:44am
They do make stainless ones and with some anti seeze you'll never have any trouble again
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 10:54am
Is stainless & cast iron a good mix? Sometimes different metals will have galvanic reaction. Just wondering.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Dave D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 11:47am
I tried drilling the heads off and Pete is right...it's nearly impossible even with a carbide bit. I am going to try using my Dremmel to cut them off but was wondering which particular Dremmel wheel I should use. I also plan to heat the them with a torch and wack them with a punch to set up vibration so I can get the penetrating oil to suck down into the threads as it cools. I like the idea of putting the new bolts in and tightening them to help relieve the stuck bolts.

I have never had such a hard time removing the manifolds on other(hot rod)projects. Maybe it's just a Ford thing, lol!!
Thanks for all the great imput!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Is stainless & cast iron a good mix? Sometimes different metals will have galvanic reaction. Just wondering.

Chris,
Stainless is simply a carbon steel alloy so it's cool with the cast iron.

Dave,
You should be able to cut into the head most of the way without hitting the casting with the standard Dremel cut off wheel/arbor. Then with a cold chisel break it off (remember it's hard!!) the rest of the way. You may then need to go back at it with a mounted stone to remove what's left of the head.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 11:14pm
Dave,

I just removed my manifolds. I broke off one of my bolt heads. Luckly it was just the head and there was enough of the bolt sticking out that i could get a pair of vice grips on it. I was told to take something like an ice pick or finer and pick around where the bolt goes into the engine. I was able to get some of the rust out of the threads. I also used the PB blaster. I kept working it for about 4 days and when i tried the vice grips it came right out. good luck
83Ski
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2009 at 10:21am
Dave,
Take your time! It's easy to get frustrated with frozen bolts. Penatrating fluid, heat, cut-off wheel ect.. You'll probably use all the tools you can think of.Try to keep the colateral damage to a minimum.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Dave D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2009 at 12:02pm
Definately taking my time...I have been trying to drill the heads off without much progress. It's time to try some new tricks. I have a torch, chisels, dremmel, cold case of beer, etc to spend the weekend on this project. I have been very cautious not to screw up the manifold flanges.

With enough work and patience, I WILL get them off. I have all new bolts and bunch of other new goodies coming from Skidim...and spring is on it's way! I can't wait to get back out on the water for some fun in the sun. Now, if we could just get out of this severe Texas drought we are in to fill up the lake...
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2009 at 12:39pm
best thing to use is a cut off wheel on a die grinder and cut the bolt head off, then use a grinding wheel to get the rest of it.

next best is a cutting torch.

don't forget to spray PB or liquid wrench between the mainfold and block that's where the threads start, remove all of the other bolts except the one that is broke and that should create a small gap where it can wick into, it won't wick all of the way from the outside of the manifold to where the threads are after that install one other bolt at the opposite end tear out the gasket helps as well to get the the penetrating oil to where it needs to be.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2009 at 12:59pm
use this if you are using your dremel tool

cut an x in the head and then use your cold chisel to pop them off the rest of the way if you cannot get to it to cut it off perpendicular to the thread body.
Dave D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2009 at 2:15pm
Great advice '79, that makes sense. I believe I have some of those fiberglass cut off wheels. I am off on Fridays so I should have the manifolds off by tomorrow afternoon. It's amazing that something made of fiberglass can cut hardened steel! Stranger things have happened, I guess.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2009 at 6:15pm
I forgot the X-cut trick. Removed a lot of chassis rivets like that. Cut a X then use a rivet gun with a chisel. Oh wear ear plugs!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Dave D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 12:57pm
The x-cut worked like a charm...I was able to cut off the heads of four bolts that were bad. I was able to pull the manifold off over the studs and then used vice grips to easily remove the studs. Luckily the other side's manifold came off without any trouble. I have seperated the manifolds from the risers and will sandblast, prime, and re-paint them along with all new bolts, gaskets, and fittings. I might as well detail the engine block while I have it apart. Thanks for all the great advice you guys gave me. It won't be long and I will be back on the lake with a sweet running Correct Craft!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 1:03pm
Dave, I use High temp disk brake caliper paint on my manifolds. It will still burn off down low by the exhaust ports but otherwise it holds up very well and has a nice gloss to it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 2:13pm
the riser and manifiolds need to be diped and cleaned so the internals are clean.

the manifolds needs inspecteced for rust and possible faulure area's and replaced if needed.

Risers rairly go bad unless used in salt or brackish water so cleaning, internally, is all that is ever needed.

the manifolds see tons of heat and can rust faster and fail aka crack and leak. With the risers removed you should be able to see the internal passages to a degree and a small mirror helps as well. But you can inspect and if you remove the rear drain plug and see lots of rust flakes then it's time to concider replacing before you hydro-lock the motor from a cracked leaking manifold and have to spend way more than the three hundred or so to get new PCM's
Dave D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 4:26pm
I agree. I plan to dip these parts and will inspect for any damage. This boat has spent it's life running two lakes in our area that are full of hard calcium water so I do see a lot of white build up on the inside of the risers. I might try soaking them in CLR before dipping them just to see how much of the hard deposits I can remove.

I had one of the stock manifold drain plugs that was stuck like chuck so I drilled it out. I found some nice brass 3/4" plugs with outer square bolt heads at Lowes to replace the stock recessed type of plug. This will make removal of these things MUCH easier. I can't wait to get these things restored and back on the boat.

Next up, I plan to pull the prop and get it to the Nettle's Prop Shop for a re-do. While I have it off, I want to replace the strut bearing and check my alignment. After that, I should be good to go for the summer.
Dave D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 3:06pm
Update: I seperated the risers from the manifolds and hot tanked them and then sandblasted them. I took them to a local machine shop to have them re-surfaced. It's very important to do this! It cost me $100 which I thought was a little steep, but those guys have to eat too. I then sprayed everything with some good automotive self etching primer and then two coats of hi-gloss/hi temp black spray paint. I got all new bolts, gaskets, and fittings from skidim.com. I also installed new corregated rubber hose. The thing looks brand new! She's going in the water on Friday for a shake down cruise. I am also gonna test my new speedo gauge and pitot. Woo hoo, spring is almost here! It's supposed to be 85 degrees today...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Dave D. Dave D. wrote:

I found some nice brass 3/4" plugs with outer square bolt heads at Lowes to replace the stock recessed type of plug. This will make removal of these things MUCH easier.

You're saying you replaced the square socket plug

with a square head plug?

I like the top one better. The bottom variety seems much easier to strip. Don't overtighten and you won't have any problems with either.
Dave D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 3:27pm
Yep! The plugs on mine were turned at a position that I could not get a tool on them. They were obviously on there for a long time and one of the square pockets rounded out. I had to drill it out to remove it. The new ones get some anti-seize and just the right amount of torque to keep from over tightening. With the outer boss...it's MUCH easier to get a tool on them when they need to be removed for winterizing.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 3:41pm
What kind of tool(s) were you using? All you need is a 1/2" drive socket wrench. I do agree that you will have an easier time removing a stripped square head over a square socket plug.
Dave D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 3:47pm
I tried using a piece of square steel that was the proper size and bent on the end like an allen wrench. I also tried a 3/4" rachet extension (without a socket) on it. The problem is with very limited clearance due to the low swept riser that will not allow you to get the tool on it. Whoever tightened it last, left the plugs in just the right position to make getting a tool on it impossible. I even tried using vice grips on the outer diameter of the plugs, but they were stuck like chuck. Even with PB blaster and tapping them to set up vibration, no dice.
With the new plugs I am using, any old wrench will work, no matter what position they are in.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 4:16pm
You were not able to get a 1/2" drive socket wrench in the old plug? I've never had a problem with mine.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Dave D. Dave D. wrote:

The problem is with very limited clearance due to the low swept riser that will not allow you to get the tool on it.   

You should have followed HW's advice and used a regular 1/2" drive ratchet on it. Works perfectly on the low swept PCM risers.

seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2014 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

use this if you are using your dremel tool

cut an x in the head and then use your cold chisel to pop them off the rest of the way if you cannot get to it to cut it off perpendicular to the thread body.

Hey All,
Can anyone show me what this tool is? The link does not work. I am running into the same situation. I need to get a couple manifold bolts off.
Tom
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic