NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Removing exhaust manifold bolts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2014 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

Hey All,
Can anyone show me what this tool is? The link does not work. I am running into the same situation. I need to get a couple manifold bolts off.
Tom

"Dremel" is a cheap homeowners die grinder.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2014 at 11:50pm
I think the link probably showed a cutoff wheel. Get the reinforced ones, the cheap ones shatter very easily (wear eye protection, of course).

BTW Pete, my Dremel may be a cheap homeowners tool, but it is 30 years old, still running on the original brushes & has been run hard many times. It has been a great tool.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 12:05am
So just take a cutting wheel and cut an x in the head,and then whack it with a cold chisel?
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 12:09am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You should be able to cut into the head most of the way without hitting the casting with the standard Dremel cut off wheel/arbor. Then with a cold chisel break it off (remember it's hard!!) the rest of the way. You may then need to go back at it with a mounted stone to remove what's left of the head.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 12:17am
OK, Keep your fingers crossed!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 6:57am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

BTW Pete, my Dremel may be a cheap homeowners tool, but it is 30 years old, still running on the original brushes & has been run hard many times. It has been a great tool.

Chris,
You are correct. I should have used the term "inexpensive" rather than "cheap". I too have enjoyed having a Dremel. I used to think of them as a gimmick until I bought one for a project and found out how handy they are. I've never had issues with brushes but rather bearings. The bearings went out on my first one so I just went out and bought a second Dremel kit.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 4:29pm
So, the Dremel works great. I actually had to cut the bolt sideways against the manifold, because I could not cut an x because the bolt was so far gone. Anyhoo, the larger reinforced wheel was able to cut right up to the manifold and then I followed it up with a number of shaped stones, and it popped right off. I soaked it with PB Blaster, let it sit, and when I hooked up the vise grips, they slid right out.
Thanks Guys.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 5:35pm
Good to hear Tom. Damn, I forgot all about telling you that the reinforced wheel would probably work best but I'm glad you figured it out.
I have an air compressor with a cutting tool but that thing just wouldn't get in that tight space at all so no reason to mention it. It's always available if you need one though.

Again, let me know if you need any help. I'll do whatever I can.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2014 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Good to hear Tom. Damn, I forgot all about telling you that the reinforced wheel would probably work best but I'm glad you figured it out.
I have an air compressor with a cutting tool but that thing just wouldn't get in that tight space at all so no reason to mention it. It's always available if you need one though.

Again, let me know if you need any help. I'll do whatever I can.

Hey Eddie,
I actually used this as an excuse to go to Harbor Freight and buy a small die grinder and some diamond grinders, but the Dremel actually worked better! Thanks again for the advice.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Rockymtnsalom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockymtnsalom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2014 at 2:37pm
I ran into this issue when replacing the manifolds on my 1970 ski nautique. I used a grinder to take off the head of the bolt and the with the manifold removed used vice grips to unscrew the base. This probably wasn't the correct way to go about it but it worked well for me
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2014 at 2:42pm
I did much the same but drilled 3/16 hole in center of head as pilot then 3/8 till the head popped off then vice grips to remove what was left after removing manifold.
ChowHound View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChowHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2014 at 10:09am
I realize the thread revolved more around stuck bolts (which is a good topic) but, the OP was doing this to change valve cover gaskets.

For others reading, you may want to try a swivel socket to access valve cover bolts. Not a socket with a swivel attached but a socket with the swivel built in.

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-4963-Impact-Universal-3-Piece/dp/B000NPT6IE/ref=sr_1_1/189-9134765-7127868?ie=UTF8&qid=1402400783&sr=8-1&keywords=swivel+socket

The U-Joint type are narrower than the ball/cup type like sears has.

I was able to easily access the valve cover bolts to snug them up last year (87 nautique). I believe you could get them off without removing the manifolds...but, I could be wrong.

YMMV
-Chow
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2014 at 11:32am
You are correct. I've done it before too using standard 1/4" drive tools. I slid the socket in from the front, it won't drop down from the top.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic