Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Snowmobiles - how fast?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snowmobiles - how fast?
    Posted: February-07-2009 at 4:46pm
I have been watching these things literally fly up and down the lake for the last several weekends. My question is how fast can they go? They move across the ice faster than any boat or seadoo we see in the summer which is about 70 mph. However, these snowmobiles seem to move much much faster. One guy told us the newer "sleds" with go 110-130 mph. Was this guy for real?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 4:52pm
Yes!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 5:04pm
My 700 Yamaha Viper will run 120 plus MPH on good hard pack...    ( Stock ..about 140hp/500lbs)   We consistantly run the 60 to 80 mph area.
Not hard to get 155- 160 hp out of em.... but Ive left my last two sleds pretty much bone stock... Crack the throttle and breaking the track loose at 80mph is enough for me.

Just about as much fun as boating..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 9:59pm
I get 95 out of my 500 polaris . It deffinatly makes the deer come and go faster .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Crack the throttle and breaking the track loose at 80mph is enough for me.

Steve.
No studs?

Well most of the snow melted today in the Chicago area so I imagine it's gone down by you too. At least you were able to get out on the sled this year!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 12:51am
Wow. That is crazy fast! It must be awfully cold at 100mph. I did 73 on my buddys Seadoo this summer and that was plenty fast for me.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 2:24am
Pete, 192 picks in the track, in deeper snow, it'll still break loose. I like the picks for breaking and cornering.

Chris, The sleds have adjustable hand and thumb warmers.   That, with 500 to a thousand bucks in the right bibs, boots, coats, gloves, helmets, etc. its not that bad.   You have to watch it, but we've ridden in 20 below actual air temp with no problems.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 2:38am

You have to watch it, but we've ridden in 20 below actual air temp with no problems.

With all due respect...I can't imagine for the life of me why anyone would want to do that.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 2:50am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

You have to watch it, but we've ridden in 20 below actual air temp with no problems.

With all due respect...I can't imagine for the life of me why anyone would want to do that.

john

John, sounds like your whimping out with old age!   

Actually, when we drive 8 to 10 hours north for a 4 or 5 days of riding, you cant alway choose the weather. The alternative is to stay in the motel room.....as for me, I'll take the ride!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 10:31am

john

John, sounds like your whimping out with old age!   

Old age with a warm climate attitude!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 10:46am
Now thats funny. "Old age with a warm climate attitude...holding a glass of sweet tea. Do I hear Jimmy Buffet playing in the back ground? Heck I am even worried about 72 deg. water at silver glen next weekend. That why I am worthy of the handle "Hasbeen"
hasbeenskier
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 11:27am
We went for a ride in Mich. one time . By the time we got back to the hotel it was - 30 air temp. We had no idea it was that cold or we would have gotten home sooner . The sleds run great when it is that cold out .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 11:41am
When I lived up North, in a previous life, my snowmobile had a Hemi, or was that a Cobra Jet?! Anyway, the speedometer wrapped around three times so no telling how fast it would go. Actually "North" Carolina is almost too far north for me. I'm gradually coming down with jbearitis, and I hear when you get older, there is no cure.

We actually had a dusting of snow here last Weds and it's supposed to be 68-70 degrees here today.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 12:26pm
It's been cold up in the north this winter. We didn't get our annual January thaw and we've had a lot of mornings well below zero. Cabin fever is setting in. But, we are not as cold as up in "The County" where they say they have 6 months of winter and 6 months of poor sleddin.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 5:16pm
Thanks Reid, Pete and bj...you guys got my back.

'Course now that I think about it...we are all kinda in the same place...age-wise. Definatly I got a "warm climate attitude"...had to turn the furnance on this week when the temps went in the 50's.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 6:22pm
John,
Steve and I (don't know about BJ - his B date isn't in his profile!) can get away with giving you a hard time about the age since we're all in the same boat 51, 52, 54 and ?. I don't know about Reid though. He's the kid in the group being born in 58!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 7:00pm
Pete,
It is 2/16/55 Meet me in Astor next weekend and lets have some cake!
hasbeenskier
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 7:05pm
I bet Pete would come if he could! Are you really gonna put that beautiful boat in the water bj?

See Pete...we are all in the same boat..well Reid is kinda young for our group.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 7:37pm
   The new Yamaha four strokes (1000cc-150hp) will hit close to 130 in the right conditions.Most of the big 800 twins are done around 108-110mph. Maybe Phil(lfskizzer) will chime in on this.His dad just got a new Arctic Cat Z1 turbo 170HP.....I'm curious if he's rung that out yet. I'm more of a deep snow backcountry guy now, I got tired of meeting guys in corners at 80mph that can't stay on their side of the trail

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 7:55pm
Well, we sure have come a long way. I started on one of these:

The worst was getting them slushed in on a lake. You needed several large men to get them out due to the weight.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 9:05pm
^^^^^^^^^ that's cool Pete! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You still got it? I see the carb throat is aimed strategically at the rider so you smelled like a gas can after riding it all day!

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 9:14pm
Pete, the only one I've ever driven was an old yellow SkiDoo that was similar to that. I think the top speed was 35.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

^^^^^^^^^ that's cool Pete! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You still got it? I see the carb throat is aimed strategically at the rider so you smelled like a gas can after riding it all day!

Mike

All the early sleds had the carb intakes pointing at the driver. When the racing sleds started to use jack shafts allowing the engine to move forward and lay down lowering the center of gravity it put the carbs up under the shroud. Then of course, it caught on with the regular trail type sleds. Yes, the carb intake in the drivers crotch was a problem. One of the hot upgrades was to remove the choke plate and shaft reducing it's restriction and then replace the intake grill with a aluminum venturi. With the solid aluminum venturi strategically located, it wasn't long before someone came out with one made out of rubber!!! The other problem is they did suck things like scarves up in them.

No, I don't have it anymore. Wish I did as there is quite a following of old sleds. They even race the old ones in there own classes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Well, we sure have come a long way. I started on one of these:

Pete, once again, we are about the same vintage. We started out with one of these in the mid 60s (not ours... a google pic I found)

Don't remember the HP but as I recall, about 40 MPH was a big deal. A year or two later Ski-Doo came out with their TNT...
that was the hot machine of the day.

Talking about the air intake. Ours had a little plastic horn
that opened up toward your crotch. That broke so my dad replaced it with an aluminum one. You knew it when you collided with that one.

Our neighbors had an evinrude like yours. Had reverse, a pretty big deal, but you're right,
it weighed a ton.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 1:36am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Actually "North" Carolina is almost too far north for me. I'm gradually coming down with jbearitis, and I hear when you get older, there is no cure.

You know Reid, I thought in some of the pictures I saw of you that were taken this summer something was changing...I just couldnt put my finger on it..... til you explained your condition.. "jbearitis"...

Now I understand...

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 2:53am
Wow...that picture is scary.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 3:26am

I bet Pete would come if he could!

PeteB won't be attending, the time-release door on his Y2K bunker he's presently in, waiting out the winter, is set for sometime in late March!
-Adam

1973 Skier
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 10:13am
I remember when 440's were the big sleds. Had a lot of old Rupp's in the late 70's and early 80's and one old Bolens 440 that would touch 100 across the lake before the water cooled sleds came out and took over the game.
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 1:03pm
Ha! I still have my old Rupp grass racer(Jbears kind of sport-hot and loud) up in the rafters above the shop. I haven't seen it in probably three years and haven't run it in over 15. The last time we ran the Rupp was across 200 yds of open water at Sauble Beach.
My first machine was a 399 Nordic and a pocket full of plugs.When we got married we bought a new Blizzard 9500 and a Citation SS. Those machines hold memories to us like the early Mustangs and Nautiques do for most of you. Today I run a GSX 4Tec and my wife has a Fan and they are pretty sweet but that Rupp was scarey. 100 mph today is just part of a run. The way these machines handle and ride and cost I doubt that I will ever replace them. I honestly never get cold when we are out. Hand heaters, bum heaters liquid heaters and dress appropriatly- I find I sweat just as much skidooing as summer 4 wheelin'.
I have a client coming in from Arizona today and I plan on taking him out for an afternoon of riding for our meeting. Tough day eh!!
70 Mustang project
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

A year or two later Ski-Doo came out with their TNT...
that was the hot machine of the day.

Larry,
The 65 Evenrude was my dads. I worked and saved and saved and bought my own sled which was the 399 TNT! Yup, the hottest thing going in the day! I of course wanted the 699 but glad I didn't get it. They were horizontally opposed and compression on both cylinders at the same time to cancell out vibration. I had a friend with one and even though he was big, he had a hard time pulling it over - no compression release!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic