NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Snowmobiles - how fast?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 2:49pm
My father-in-law owned two different small full service gas stations that I helped him at on weekends for about 20 years until he retired and sold them. He sold Allouette, Fox Trac, Scorpion and finally Polaris sleds since they were practically first invented. I had a number of different sleds through the years. The last one I owned was a 91 Polaris 500SP. I bought it brand new and immediately tore it down and had the motor ported and the carbs overbored and then put twin pipes on it. Got gunned at 117 with it. I could hang with any 650 out there at the time. We routinely went riding in northern WI and MN.

Up in Bimidgi, MN one trip we left the hotel at 6AM and it was -35 degrees. We got back at 7PM with 375 miles logged and the temperature never got above -25 the whole day. Great times, but I don't miss the sleds at all. Much happier now.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 9:48pm
Eddie,
All the obsolete sleds...only the "big P" is still around out of that group....

there are 4 main sled manufacturers still around, however I dont think any of them are doing great on sales the last few years... maybe the 10G price to get a hi-po sled is part of the problem?

how long has it been since you've ridden?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 9:56pm
last winter we were all dragging on lake ossipee my mxz will hit 110 when i touched on that( fast enough) my 16 yr old blew by me like i was standing still . the jerk had his best friend on the back
I could have killed him.
does anyone remember how hot sachs motors were? i had a 440 that was so precious to me when the track broke i used pliers to get the motor off, jumped on the back of my buddies sled and it was all that returned that night. we passed that enginless sled for yrs in the woods and always smiled
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 1:08am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Great times, but I don't miss the sleds at all. Much happier now.

Well...I am much happier you ain't up there too.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Eddie,
All the obsolete sleds...only the "big P" is still around out of that group....

there are 4 main sled manufacturers still around, however I dont think any of them are doing great on sales the last few years... maybe the 10G price to get a hi-po sled is part of the problem?

how long has it been since you've ridden?

Yeah Steve, he sold each brand until they went bust then just moved on to the next one. He may have sold Rupp for a while too. He'd been selling Polaris since Scorpion folded in the early to mid-80's I believe. My Scorpion Sidewinder was a '81 or '82 I believe and that was one of the last years that Scorpion was around. I owned three different Polaris machines. They were pretty awesome. My SP was a screamer and I had reworked the suspension with Fox gas shocks in addition to the engine work so the handling and ride were just incredible. I can only imagine what the performance is like now on the new machines.

The last year I rode was 92. It was just getting to be so expensive. I rode with a bunch of guys who were very hard aggressive riders and we averaged 300 miles/day. When you run like that, there's no time to be sitting in the bars until we were back at the hotel at days end. Then we lit it up though!!!! The only places that were good riding were northern WI or MN. The travel time to northern WI or the UP was 4 to 6 hrs. and every trip to MN was at least 12 hrs. The only time it paid was to take at least a four day weekend. By the time you paid for lodging, food, gas and of course the bar, we figured it cost about $100/day (then). That was after I dropped $8K on the sled and the upgrades. Just couldn't afford that while the family was sitting at home. Got rid of it, bought the boat and never looked back.

The family time and memories far outweigh the sled trips. Whoever said owning a boat was like throwing money into an open hole in the water never owned a Hi-Po sled. I'll take the boat expenses any day.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Up in Bimidgi, MN one trip we left the hotel at 6AM and it was -35 degrees. We got back at 7PM with 375 miles logged and the temperature never got above -25 the whole day. Great times, but I don't miss the sleds at all. Much happier now.

You must have b@lls o' steel Eddie. I have done a few 400 mile days myself,but never in temps below 15-20 degrees. Sounds like you rode the same way we did, if you didn't go at least 250 miles it was an off day! I tell people now that even at $10k,buying the sled is the cheap part.It's all the crap that goes with it that will add up on you. Trailer,gas travelling, good gear ,etc..... I'll take a boat anyday. The last saddlebag trip I took was to the Gaspe Penninsula in Quebec and we rode just under 1400 miles in 4 days,... but it was 40 degrees .

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 2:10pm
The only way I can afford the sleds is to buy from "distressed" situations... usually late winter/early spring, when the guy that bought the sled last fall realizes he still has to make payments on it thru the summer.

The '02 Viper Im currently riding came with the invoice.... over $8600 delivered.
I bought the sled 3 months old and paid $4200 with 1100 miles on the clock and two years of warranty left. Had a buyer for my 97 700sx at $2900, so actual cash to upgrade not that big a deal.

I dont ride that much anymore, just a way to get out of the house in the winter.

btw, predicted record high, 65 today! .... man gets me in the fever for the boat... BUT, snow again this weekend. reality check
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 7:26pm
Steve,
We put on about 300 miles in Minoqua(sp), two weekends ago.. Temps were in the teens. I sweat my ass off keeping that sled upright. I wish it was colder... We were running Yamaha 700's non picked.. Boy did those this suck in the corners while braking.... Fun times.. No one was there though.. Superbowl weekend and we had the whole place to ourselves...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 7:51pm
Moj,
That's exactly what it was like every time I rode. The colder the better. I got off the machine and was sweatin' like crazy. I just had to put my handwarmers on the first 30 miles or so just to take the chill off. Once you started running pretty close to the envelope, you needed all you had just to keep the shiny side up. That was just the way we rode. Had to admit, that really cold weekend, when you really leaned into a turn anything over 50MPH that initial air blast out from behind the windshield definitely got your attention! Man, the sleds run so good when it's that cold! Had to make sure that you changed the jets so you didn't burn it down. Definitely the worst part of that whole day. Changing jets at 5AM when it's -35 out! Now that did suck.

Eddie
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 8:20pm
Exactly, hand warmers went on for ten minutes then off until the next time you stopped for a beer.. Soaked and exhausted by the end of the day, but what a great time in the cold for sure...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2009 at 10:38pm
Supposed to get 4 to 8 inches Friday night .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2009 at 12:21am
Originally posted by p/allen p/allen wrote:

Supposed to get 4 to 8 inches Friday night .

That's what she said!
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic