NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

boat lifts

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
220nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 220nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boat lifts
    Posted: February-17-2009 at 9:47pm
we are putting in a boat lift at the lake this summer. Is there i certain type i should get? are there lifts that are bad for the hull?
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2009 at 10:37pm
For the non-floating type, IMO Shorestation makes the best lift. If set up and used properly it will not do any harm to the boat.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 220nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2009 at 11:30pm
so there are lifts that can do damage? i can't the floating type because of my dock (i don't think).
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2009 at 11:39pm
I had a Hewitt cantilever and did not like it. In shallower water it didn't go down enough and did not seem as well made as a shorestation.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2009 at 11:43pm
I would have poles driven. Build a boat house and go the cradle route. You would have a house for you boat and a deck to entertain guest.
83Ski
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 1:54am
I have a shore station that has has 3 different nautiques on it since the late 80's. Replaced a stabelizer cable once. We augerd the poles into the ground and it hasnt moved since then. Its a 2600lbs version.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 6:04am
I have a hydraulic FLOE lift. Its a great lift. I love watching all the people on our lake w/crank lifts roll their big lift-wheels when they go out/come back from boating.

Now if you get a shorestation with the electric motor and a solar panel thats the way to go!

I do like our canopy a little more, seems to provide a little more protection from sun and rain. I think the only difference is that our frame allows the boat to go up into the canopy a little more than a shore station or similar lift.

Here's a pic of the boat a little over half way up.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 9:59am
Originally posted by dwcar dwcar wrote:

I would have poles driven. Build a boat house and go the cradle route. You would have a house for you boat and a deck to entertain guest.

Not legal in most states!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I had a Hewitt cantilever and did not like it. In shallower water it didn't go down enough and did not seem as well made as a shorestation.

I agree that the Shorestation is the best build but it'd also the most expensive.

I disagree with a cantilever not going deep enough. Because it cantelevers out, the cradle usually is in deeper water. Gary, are you sure you didn't have the Hewitt in bacerds??

I've got a Shoremaster. Served me well for 29 years. I'm on my second canopy and I did replace the cable a couple years ago.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 1:43pm
Well Pete the cradle can't go below the legs, so it doesn't matter that it goes towards deeper water. They are also a PITA to get the boat in the right spot before lifting.

The frame on that FLOE and ShoreMaster lifts are better for protecting the boat, but make loading the boat more difficult since you can't just lift up the flap on the ShoreStation.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 2:44pm
I have had 3 Shorestations. Two currently in use. I have the 5000 for the SuperAir, and a 3000 for the Mustang. I have the solar system on the big one, and love it. I also put extensions on the canopy and a full height 3 sided curtain on it.
A friend has a Sunlift solar/hydraulic unit. That is a very nice system, and hoists his boat in like 10 seconds. I do not really care for the canopies on them, but his is under a dock style canopy so does not require the lifts canopy. They are pricey, but super cool.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 3:43pm
I currently use 2 Hewitt 3000# cantilever lifts. Best design in my opinion in terms of simplicity and ease of use.
2 cables for the shorestation vs. 1 for the Hewitt.
Cantilever design of the Hewitt makes the cranking easier as the boat is lifted.
And, when the boat is all the way up, the weight of the boat is almost entirely held by the frame of the lift vs. by the cables in the shorestation.
Finally, the Hewitt is light and easy to disassemble for putting in the water in the spring and taking out in the fall. I
know that motor/solar panel combo is available for the Hewitt too...hopefully i'll be getting some soon.
I will say that the Shorestations are more robust but, the Hewitt is more than adequate.
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 3:49pm
here is a photo of a '93 on a Hewitt cantilever...not cranked all the way up in this photo...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 3:51pm
Mike, you mean Sunstream? Ive seen those- theyre super nice. Strong, well built, nice hydraulics- but I bet theyre heavy to put in and out! Dad and one of our ski buddies have Nyman/Basta hydraulic lifts. Dad's has the solar panel as well. Sure cant beat that. Ive got a few Harbor Master manual vertical lifts that are pretty decent- especially the 3600lb unit the '90 sits on. Dad had an electric Hewitt and that seemed nice as well. A few friends have Shorestations and no one has any complaints.

Pic from '07, Harbor Master and Hewitt:

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 4:23pm
ShoreStations are super easy to move.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 4:23pm
Tim,

Yep, those are the ones. Sunlift is one of the models.

http://www.sunstreamcorp.com/

Mike N

1968 Mustang

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 4:57pm
Any Hydraulic lift is going to raise/lower WAY faster then the cable type with or without a motor, also quite a bit more expensive.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 9:22pm
I wish I had a motor on mine my little arms get tired:(. Id like to buy a canopy when I get out of school so the boat would dry out better and I didnt have to crawl around like a monkey putting the cover on its a good thing im small.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 220nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 9:30pm
This is what i am working with. i just dont know my options.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 220nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 9:33pm
our lake lowers in the winter. at full pool the water comes just right under the dock.
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Well Pete the cradle can't go below the legs, so it doesn't matter that it goes towards deeper water. They are also a PITA to get the boat in the right spot before lifting.

Well Kevin, you're partially correct as it really depends on the manufacturer of the lift. With a Hewitt, their vertical lift will go down lower than their cantilever because the cradle fits between the fore and aft frame cross members. On all other verticals I've seen including Shore Stations, the cradles cross member is directly over the frame cross member so the lowest it will go is the height of both members plus the distance to the bottom of the feet. I'd estimate that to be about 10" to the top of the cradle plus the "V". My cantilever Shoremasters cradle will go down until the rear diagonals hit the frame cross members. both are 2x2 square tubing plus the feet. They actually touch the bottom 2x2 so thats less than 5" to the top of the cradle. The other trick you do with a cantilever is to set the rear slightly lower than the front so as the cradle is lowered, it actually will go deeper in the water than the lift itself.

2 summers ago with our lower lake levels up north, the marinas water crews were spending lots of time moving and even jetting the feet of lifts into the bottom so people could use their lifts. One day that summer, I happened to be over at Watercraft (Shorestation dealer) discussing this. I commented that I didn't have a problem. The service manage commented that's because my lift was a cantilever. Most of the problem were with the verticals.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 9:50pm
Dropping the rear feet is slick, that definitely helps.

Pete, you must be looking at old ShoreStations. Teh cradle will lower inside the base as well because the cross members are in a "V" shape so it doesn't matter that the sides are resting on top of the base.

None of this helps 220nautique!

Take a look at the neighbors and see what they do.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 10:30pm
Pete the water in front of my house is so shallow I'd have to move it out 50'. Since they put in flood gates here in Algonquin they keep it lower than it used to be.I use one now with straps which has the added benefit of doing a stringer stress test-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 10:52pm
With that setup your going to have get something like this-http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=71889&pdesc=Doozie_Boat_House_Lifts_With_Overhead_Beams&cname=Boat-Lifts&aID=25I&merchID=1009&r=view
Do you own the pier? Can you put a roof on it? I don't see how a shorestation type of lift will work,way too deep.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 11:14pm
Brian,
What is the dock indentation for on each side of the slip. Looks like something was being planned. Cradle style lifts don't need a roof but the height of the cable reels determines the height of the lift.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 11:17pm
I just thought since he would go through all that work he might as well put a roof on too Pete.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 220nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 11:42pm
the people i had build it want around 10k for the lift (thats with out having electricity brought to the dock). i was just hoping yall might have some ideas that might be more cost efficient. no roofs are allowed.
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2009 at 1:15am
With that depth and water fluctuation, I am going to say you need a floater or a hoist type, and a roof. With as nice of a setup you have, why wouldn't you run power? Lights, fridge, music, etc. That is a kick ass dock.

Edit: oops, you did say you cannot have a roof, sorry.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 220nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2009 at 2:28am
We are running power. Just trying to save on the lift after putting this dock in.
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2009 at 4:50am
I think are going to need a side mount floater, or a free standing floater. I looks like your water drops a good 8 or 9 feet. With a dock mount floater, the lifts would be suspended in air when the water drops.

The rods which tie a side mount floating lift to the dock are typically only six feet long. Given the drop on your dock when the water is down, you propably will have to put longer rods on as well.

Check out the hydrohoist side mount lift. We've got hundreds of them out here. Galvalift used to make a side mount, but I don't know that they do any longer.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic