NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Working on my trailer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Working on my trailer
    Posted: February-28-2009 at 8:04am
So I had a couple of days off and spent them working on my trailer.
I wanted to do something about the small bunks, which weren't good, as they made scratches on my hull and made it pretty hard to slide the boat on to the trailer.
I'm still looking for a real ski boat trailer, but they are hard to find over here(within my budget that is). For now I made modifications to my "mutt" (as Tullfooter calls it LOL).
Here are some pics:

The way it used to be with the bunks:

Now I put rollers on it:

It will make it much easier to launch her and get her out of the water. Most trailers here use the rollers and it is quite good.

I know that trailer looks nothing like the nice trailers you boys have, but it is actually a very good trailer. It has great stability on the road due to the fact it comes with springs and schock absorbers:

But I want to make it look better... I would like to paint it. I was thinking of integrating the red in my boat into the trailer. Making some red striping or so... Buy some nice wheel covers... Any ideas?
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 8:47am
Good work kris the only thing I read on here is rollers are not as good as bunks to spread the load on the hull something to think about, as the roads in the UK have lots of pot holes, may be the way to go is a combo of the 2 or lot more rollers also check they are under the main stringers on your boat. good wood work in the background too.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 9:46am
Roger, you're right about spreading the load. But still, most boats at our marina are on rollers. I think that the hull of our CC's are tough enough to handle the pressure...

That woodwork is from a friend of the waterskiclub. He's the previous owner of my boat.
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 11:48am
Kristof - I agree with UK. It would be best to have a few rollers directly under the stringers in the engine area. It may avoid stress cracks in the long run. It looks like your trailer has enough mounting holes left to bolt to!

You could stripe your trailer with wide red stripes & narrow black on top of that. Similar to the boot stripe on your boat (great graphics BTW).   Maybe just on the faces of the fenders. Post photos with whatever you do!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 12:46pm
Do you pull it with the estate and is it diesel awd?

I could never be influenced to paint a galvanized trailer- reflective striping maybe! We put a premium on Galvanized equipment around here.
70 Mustang project
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 3:17pm
you Europeans have a tendency to over engineer things...as with the trailer, pretty rugged
"the things you own will start to own you"
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 4:30pm
Kristof,
That sure is a sturdy trailer.
I agree that more support under the main stringer area wood be a good idea.
Also, remember to keep the winch strap secured to the bow eye until the boat is in
the water. Witnessed a guy with a 20' boat unhook the bow eye while preparing to launch.
The ramp was steep and the WHOLE boat rolled completely off the trailer onto the concrete.
Jimsport93
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 7:04pm
Kristof,
I will agree that getting some rollers close to the stringer is a sound idea. However, I will say that a coil spring with shock absorber trailer is very smooth running trailer going through all the pot holes you supposedly have. My 54 Tee Nee has the same setup and you can go over railroad tracks smoothly!! Over here, the coils with absorbers are rare because they are more expensive to build.

Jim,
Do you live at the ramp?? A boat coming off the trailer and a guy who nails his boat to the bunks!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 8:05pm
Pete,
No I do not live at the ramp. Just there a lot.
Worked at a Marina/Correct Craft dealer summer of 1976 (in College, see my diaries page).
Also, worked at a couple of different boat dealers professionally,in sales and parts/ service, from 1988 through 1993.
Those are true stories. Happened here at Lake Lanier. North of Atlanta, Georgia.
Jimsport93
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 8:54pm
Kristof, I'm guessing you use a shallow ramp? I need to add a keel roller to the front of my set-up, but I don't think I'd ever need rollers back where you have those. The other side of that is I haven't trailered a boat like your's before...might be very different.

I do remember how easy my 79 was. Again though, a different hull.

Jim, we're almost neighbors, and that big red hole is trying to fill up. We were down 20' and are back to about 14' down now. I'm hoping for another little bit from this crazy weather.

I live pretty close to a ramp(little river)...maybe we should swap some stories this summer?   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 9:16pm
Greg,
Yes, I know we are close. Would love to get together with you and Amy this summer. Noticed you two newly weds in the St John's pics.
I put in at Charleston Park this summer (back in Six Mile Creek off 369). Probably 20 times. The stripper guides, fisherman and Hammond's Bait shop solicited donations to extend the ramp. It was great. Not much boat traffic this summer because of the low water and high gas prices. You have to pay attention to certain low places, but there was still plenty of water out there.
We enjoyed a lot of smooth water in the main part of the lake (not glass...but smooth for Lanier).
Cannot wait to de-winterize and get my Sport back in the water.
Won't be long!
Jimsport93
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 9:29pm
Thanks for the info guys.
I still have two new bunks left (larger than those small old ones). I'm going to add them under the stringers near the engine area. Better safe than sorry...
I'll do that next weekend. I'll post some more pics then.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 9:55pm
Jim, we'll swap stories over toothpick surprise! LOL

We also have a few prop benders up here, but little river pond and the path to get here is clear. We have at least 3' more than when skicat stopped by and he didn't seem to have problems.

Speaking of cat, there are a few of us in the neighborhood...BBQ?
1988 BFN-sold

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 10:43pm
Kristof,
I got thinking more about your rollers. Went out in the garage... on the way to the grill... and looked under my '93 Sport (same shaped hull), sitting on it's CC trailer. There was more distance from the bunk to the keel centerline than I thought.

I would suggest moving the rollers one hole over (if you can) toward the keel centerline.
This would look pretty close to the bunk location my CC trailer. And not bother with a second bunk.
FWIW
Jimsport93
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 9:50am
What?........... Did you say BBQ?.............. If Amy is grilling her St. John's Wild Chicken Surprise then count Kim and I in!

OH YEEEEEEEEEEAH!!!

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 1:59am
Man I am getting hungry just lookin' at the picture. Do you do take out or delivery?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 2:24am
Nah you guys wouldnt be wantin any of that stuff..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Nah you guys wouldnt be wantin any of that stuff..

Like the man says...it's nasty!

We'll do this at least once this summer...maybe only once though with such a rowdy group!   
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Do you do take out or delivery?

Mostly dine in John...you'll have to drop by someday!
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic