Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking at 89 Ski Nautique 2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Hunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking at 89 Ski Nautique 2001
    Posted: March-03-2009 at 6:57pm
I am in the market for a wakeboarding boat, but do not want to spend a lot of $. I came across an 89 Nautique 2001. The boat has less than 500 hours on it and all new upholstery. The price is very reasonable. I am not very familiar with this style boat and just wanted some good tips on what to look for on the boat before I purchase.

Thanks for the help
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 7:13pm
Here is some information that will help you get started.

Here's another one with more information.

If your boat passes all the tests referenced here, you may have what is considered to be a good wakeboarding boat. The 2001s are known to be good for wakeboarding at a very reasonable price.

Can you offer any more info on the boat, pictures, ads.... (don't worry, no one here will steal it out from under you.)

If you're not familiar with direct drive inboards, be assured it is a very good style boat for your purposes (well, its the best style boat period - but that is a matter of opinion and desired use) (if you have lots of dough and can get a new v-drive, they are superior for boarding, but the cost is out of sight.) If yo have some familiarity with boats, but not direct drive inboards, you will be very impressed with performance. Be sure to water test your boat before buying.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 7:18pm
Hi there...
You just got to the right place to get some tips on were to look before going to the hunt for a boat...
First of all check for soft spots on the floor, as this boats have wooden stringers. A solf spot is a possible sign of a rotten stringer = pita job to go through. If it was well cared this should be a problem though. Spider cracks on the hull are also signs of weak stringers or at least they reveal some kind of hit on it.
Check also if the boat was use on salt water or fresh water. Salt water boats needs a lot of care and if thats not the case rust will be everywere.
Engine well I guess the compression test will clear out almost any doubts on the health of it.
Driveline do some search here on how to check alligment issues. But al leat have a close inspection to the shaft/strut prop. See if they look allingned or if they loof twisted.
This is a start for sure more tips to come from other members!!!
I heard the 2001 hull is a good boat for wakeboarding due to its narrow tail...
Good luck.
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Hunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 7:23pm
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 7:34pm
FYI, thats a '88, not a '89.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 7:37pm
Tim check my almost back post... I found a vdo clock...

i also was doubtful about that year boat

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

FYI, thats a '88, not a '89.

Use this info to get the price lowered. You could argue that '89s are worth more.

Transmission
Morse MV-2
Vernay muffler
Hull layup resin
Trailer
Decal availability

Possibly more
Hunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 7:46pm
Thanks for the info...his son sent me the pics over camera phone and told me a few things about the boat so he was probably mistaken on the year model...whats the difference between an 88 and 89?
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 8:07pm
I have an 87 and thet rear seat doesn't look like mine. Mine wraps around. HMMM... Now the dash look like an 88. Glove compartment lid is missing. We have problems with those.

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Hunt Hunt wrote:

Thanks for the info...his son sent me the pics over camera phone and told me a few things about the boat so he was probably mistaken on the year model...whats the difference between an 88 and 89?

Transmission
Morse MV-2
Vernay muffler
Hull layup resin
Trailer
Decal availability

Possibly more

Just as Hollywood said.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 8:24pm
There are also a number of visual differences, including the windshield, gel stripe, decals, motorbox shape, vinyl pattern, trailer details, etc.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 8:29pm
You guys sure can pick a bone in a hurry!

Welcome aboard Hunt and good luck. Ask him for an engine pic or 3. As is in evidence, problems will be noted!

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 8:41pm
Hunt - It may not be an '89 but still is a great looking boat. I hope it works out for you.

Let us know if you buy it & post lots of pictures!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 12:29am
Per the 88 brochure that back seat is not original.

But is still a great looking boat.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 7:43am
I have a back seat in my 89 that is exactly the same as the one in "hunt's" photos. It is the standard package the rear seat with the wrap around is the deluxe interior. I find the foam base fine it is easily moved so you can look out the back and does not take up as much room. My boat was ordered for a ski school who probably would not have much need for a rear seat anyway.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 9:15am
My 88 also has the single cushion bench seat. IMO most 88's came with the deluxe interior. I have seen a lot of 88's and have only seen one with the single bench seat cushion and it's sitting in my garage. Its easily removable for whatever reason. Click on Foot's 88 at the bottom of the post to see pics of mine.

I'm surprised that no else picked up on this but I believe all the 89's went to a single exhaust instead of dual's. That is a sure fire way of picking out a 89. Nice looking boat and I love the color.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Hunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 12:13pm
Thanks for the information guys. I hope to drive up this weekend look and take it out for a spin
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 12:57pm
Also if your going up to drive her this weekend then be sure to write down the serial #. It will be stamped on the right side of the stern below the rub rail and just above the fuel tank vent. You'll be able to find out the month and year when it was built.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 1:25pm
I had no idea about two different bench seat option. I guess I learned something new.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 2:11pm
Looks like the Decals have been replaced as well. They look more like an 87 than an 88. Could be the pictures tho.

Take lots of pics this weekend! We love pictures!

Foots 88-

87 from the diaries-
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Looks like the Decals have been replaced as well. They look more like an 87 than an 88. Could be the pictures tho.

Decals have definitely been replaced. They look to be some cheapo aftermarket job though- those arent factory decals of any year.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 4:27pm
Men Im surprised of your hawk vision, I can barely see Its a boat with those cell phone pics, and you guys can even see which radio station is tuned on the stereo right now, and saying that is not a station a nautique owner would listen to...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 5:17pm
Some other 88->89 changes observed.

Transom tow ring, and most seem to have those black plastic aluminum fishing boat style flip down drink holders in the back. The trailers were all black, with optional colors for the fender carpet and wheel powdercoating. CC also started double stitching all the vinyl this year? On our 88, where the black or red stripe is there is no visible white thread, it is only double stitched around the edges and corners where white meets white.

tow ring

cup holders

carpet

wheels

stitching

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 6:15pm
Now that is some impressive info. Who would have know about the stitching change! Lean something new every day around here. Thank Hollywood!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Who would have known

That's what I meant about these guys picking the bone in a hurry...very sharp folks on CCFan!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2009 at 11:49am
Ain't that woman in the brochure cheesy? That hairdryer marketing ploy is awful! I laugh every time i see it. I mean honestly.....who dries their hair on a 2001 out on the water? CC's are awesome boats none the less....with or without hair driers and electrict razor ports with complimentary pillow choclates and travel pack soap and shampoo.
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2009 at 11:54am
Maybe she's speaking to someone otherside the tube?

Perhaps there's a mirror in the tube?

No wait..there's a small lcd in there and she's watching The Waltons.

Her man has told her there's a blower in there and she's curious......hmmm.

1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2009 at 2:40pm
its an 88 I think, but did that style pylon come in '88? ,I thought they were still the old middle finger style... I have 89..
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2009 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

its an 88 I think, but did that style pylon come in '88? ,I thought they were still the old middle finger style... I have 89..

The dash differentiates it as an '88, as opposed to an '87 (which would be squarer with a silver strip running across it). '86 was the last year for the ring and finger, CC went to the ball top pylon in '87, and then to the squared off topper in '90.

Nautiless, I assume youre joking but Ill clarify anyways- that "hairdryer" hose from the brochure picture is from the optional heater.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2009 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

'86 was the last year for the ring and finger, CC went to the ball top pylon in '87, and then to the squared off topper in '90.

Hold on there Timmy, some 87s had the ring/finger, most had the ball top. The switch happened somewhere into the model year, earlier than later I believe. I found a handful quickly in the Diaries.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic