NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrades/Repairs for 2009

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrades/Repairs for 2009
    Posted: March-09-2009 at 6:21pm
Almost time to hit the water for us northern folks. With that said, does anyone have any planned projects/completed projects or repairs squared away for 2009? Tim, you probably have a few things up your sleeve. Alan, any more work on the '81? Quinner, nah, never mind....

Last week I ordered new skins from Christine's. George was great to talk to. I've got the driver's seat and observer's seat I'm waiting for delivery. I have minor splits in the seats, but I feel justified with replacing them. Got a fender that needs some time at a welding shop for repair. Lastly, I'm pricing out some GT40 heads. The cost isn't an issue, the installation is. I'm not a handyman, so I'm looking for a mechanic.

Brad, I'll be looking for some refreshers on the buffing of the hull. I've got to take home the gold at LG.

Ken
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 6:40pm
I think a fly-high pole is in the cards for me this year. Anything to free up more space in the boat.

Also a good buffing. Didn't do hardly anything to it last year, and it shows. I'm almost ashamed to pull it out of storage.

Rob
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 6:57pm
Hopefully I get to drive your boat again at GL, Rob. I remember driving it through some serious roller last year. Good stuff!

carnes99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnes99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 3:34am
Upgrade stereo system and add some additional seating. I don't have my pics up yet but the 05 has extra room for seats.
Keep mama happy and life is GOOD!
Josh
2005 SAN LE
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 12:34pm
I will be doing the following:

* Adding two extra axles and 26 inch wheels to the trailer
   * Permanantly filling ballast tanks with cement to help reduce the spread of invasive water plants
   * Fabricating two new tube racks for the tower,(each to hold (2) 4 person tubes)
   * Painting bottom of hull w/ 3m chipguard to scrub off some speed and allow me to "beach it" without getting scratches
   * Tinting all the windows
   * Installing a "Stony Hill Chardonnay" vinyl wrap on the boat top commemorate Ken's 2009 sponsor
   * Last but not least I will be modifying the bimini to accept the new stripper pole so Quinner feels right at home if he makes LG this year.

I hope you all like it when you see it.

All kidding aside,I won't be doing anything this year except maybe a small piece of gator grip to protect the transom from boards. Luckily,I don't really need anything,so I'm gonna spend some money trying to make GL instead.

Carnes99. Do you have the factory Polk sub under the observer seat storage area? I took mine out and installed it in a downfiring box and it sounds way better. I put it behind the drivers seat and made it tall enough for people to use as a step to get in and out vs climbing on the seats. You could easily add a cushion to it if you wanted and make a comfy seat. There are a few good threads on PN for adding seating as well.

Mike

Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 1:03pm
Ken, shoot me an email if youre serious about the heads. I should be able to come up with a parts list for you. Installation would be a one day project.

The major thing Ive got on my plate this spring is to do the stringers and floor in Nicks Skier. Hopefully strip the paint off and see what the gel looks like too. Then put it back together and get it in the water so we can run the hell out of it this summer.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 1:19pm
I'm planning on adding a second cushion in the back so that the ladies in boat can have a "sundeck" to lay across while we take a break from whatever. Need to find a vendor that can provide a thick piece of foam and have it covered to match the rear seat.

Kinda like the photo below. What do you think?

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 1:33pm
Well the plan is to start ripping the motor apart this weekend and install a new set of heads, intake, valve train and exhaust system and all that goes with it. Should take a couple of weekends to do it right and I expect to see a full 5 mph loss in speed until I figure out what went wrong. Hows that for optimism?

I also hope to finally do some flow testing this weekend on the various exhaust manifolds I've accumulated over the years. Got a set of PCM's, Holman Moody's and Edelbrock logs that I hope to put the vacuum on and see how they stack up to each other.

Next week I may also showcase the now countless hours of grinding, sanding, polishing that went into the set of HM manifolds. Unfortunaltely they've had a ton of work put into them only to be countered by 2 tons of set backs that will prevent them from going on the boat until next year...But they sure do look purdy.

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 2:06pm
-remove exhaust manifold and risers, remove broken bolts inside of them,and put them in replancing all gaskets..
-Carburator rebuilt...
-and last but most pita definetely I have to do some stringer job...motor cradle bolts at the drivers side are loose(the firts 2 from bow. the other are ok), they donīt bite at all.. so I guess i'm screwed...
(which one is port and starboard?)
the other side hold firm though... but if I decide to fix it is i probably better to do it all once I guess...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 2:09pm
Finish the Mustang in time for GL.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I'm planning on adding a second cushion in the back so that the ladies in boat can have a "sundeck" to lay across while we take a break from whatever. Need to find a vendor that can provide a thick piece of foam and have it covered to match the rear seat.

Kinda like the photo below. What do you think?

Moorfoot

I did this a couple of years ago.. I removed the original seat (whick i keep at home) and made this big trunk out of ply wood and then glassed it. It has a lid and i use it to put all the stuff in there, sacs, lifejackets, suits etc... and then over it i made this cushion and its a fantastic sundeck

but chicks prefer the heat of the motor box though....
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 2:22pm
I try to post some better pics of it tonight
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 2:44pm
Finish bottom paint and start on the sides, replace all the parts I have taken out of the interior.
Motor runs fine, align the motor and strut, install new prop.
Locate and purchase new windshield brackets and glass.
re chrome various parts that look 60 years old,
Have the boat in the water for 4th of July .This will be the maiden voyage for her, and a prelude to the trip to Green Lake.
Better quit typing and start grinding...............Boat dr
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 3:08pm
Better quit typing and start grinding...............Boat dr

You got plenty of time. Some of us can't even get started until mid April, if we're lucky. We're shooting for 4th of July for our Maiden Voyage, too.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

I will be doing the following:

* Adding two extra axles and 26 inch wheels to the trailer   

With spinners, I hope. You ain't no playa wit out you spinnas

Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

* Fabricating two new tube racks for the tower,(each to hold (2) 4 person tubes)

I got the same tube dilemma. I think I'll put mine on the transom, like a Continental Kit on cars from the same era (period correct, Pete). The fly high will have a rack for the Zip Sled, haha.

Actually, after 2 springs of doing much work, I think the only thing I'm going to do is a new throttle cable, cover and general maintenance and tuning.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 4:28pm
Morfoot - the wings on either side of my motor box serve as storage and sundecks. I'm not too familiar with your interior layout, but could you fill in between the gunwale and motor cover to create a sundeck? You'd still be able to use the rear seat then.

Just a thought...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 5:01pm
You can't argue with kapla's sundeck.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

The fly high will have a rack for the Zip Sled, haha.

The good old Zip Sled!! It was one of those "had to have" water toys in my pre teens. Finally dad popped for one and what a disappointment. I think the whole gang tried it but only once or twice at the most. You couldn't do anything on it except just sort of hang on!! It was even hard to steer it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 5:26pm
Pete, my neighbor had one of those. They used to pull it behind an Old Town 17' row boat with a 3 hp Johnson. We had an Aquaplane. Everybody loved that thing.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 7:09pm
Steve,

Figured I could just lay cushion on the floor while the 2/3girls are back there while we are under way.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Roym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 11:14pm
I want to buy an 50' sailboat with a all female crew that likes to sun themselves in the buff. Just waiting on the Lottery now to pick my numbers.
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 12:33am
My projects,

Polk speekers
Clarion Head unit
Clarion Amp

New trailer axle, lights, and bunks

Goretex packing for stuff box and rudder.

New copper conections for guage lights.

Now I need to just find the time !

Sam
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 11:04am
Clean up the barracuda, straighten and repaint the fender on the trailer.

New heads, intake, carb, and swim platform for the '73 ski nautique, clean and buff the hull, repaint the graphics, run the heck out of it.
(the interior is going to remain a mess this year)

Roym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 1:06pm
What I really plan on doing is getting the Ski Tique bottom coated with barrier coat as soon as it finished drying and then get it polished up and repaint the graphics on the sides.

I also might attempt a complete floor and engine rebuild on a 1971 skier after I am done with the tique.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 9:01pm
Hmmm... Start it!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by NAUTI84 NAUTI84 wrote:

Hmmm... Start it!

Scott all you gotta do is start it and this happens

What more do you need for motivation
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 10:01pm
Epic picture, it's pretty well ingrained in my head and I still scroll back up, stop, scroll down, scroll up, stop. I don't even want to be down at the bottom of the page typing a reply, I'm gonna hit the Post button so I can go back and look again.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

which one is port and starboard?

port is left side, starboard is right. easy way to remember is starboard has two R's in it = Right

I am done with my projects on the mustang til at least the end of the season.
My Super Air needs a good cleaning and the shower removed.
I think I have done quite enough already this year !!!

That picture is indeed ridiculous. Nearly NSFW. Love it.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2009 at 12:10am
My current favorite picture on the site.

I was gonna say to Morfoot that his seat would look way better if he just put up a nice shot of Kim back there!

Hey Pete...how did you get the crew to row fast enough to ski on that thing?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2009 at 1:14am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The good old Zip Sled!! It was one of those "had to have" water toys in my pre teens.

Read that again John,I think thats Pete's pre teen picture,so it might be Ole Evinrude trying out one of those new fangled row boat engines
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic